Venice Film Festival

[quote=“Phil H, post:20, topic:677”]Well that’s me for today amigos. I’ll be heading over to the Lido in half an hour or so to see Navajo Joe. I’ve never actually seen that one before so I’m looking forward to it.

I’ll be on line for a wee while so if you are up, give us a yell.

Ciao (see my italian is improving!)[/quote]

You’re in for a treat! Have fun!

OK, my Venice adventure has finally come to a close and I am back home but I thought I’d fill everyone in on how my last night went.

Navajo Joe was good and was well received by the audience there. I enjoyed it but, to be honest, it was my least favourite of the films I have seen over the weekend. For me it was a ‘run of the mill’ Corbucci film, not one of his best. But as I say, I did enjoy it nonetheless. And in attendance for this film was Sergio Salvati, cinematographer for Lucio Fulci on Four of the Apocalypse and Silver Saddle as well as a load of Fulci’s horror stuff I believe. Oh yeah, and while I’m name dropping, Eli Roth was also there with an entourage of sorts. All very Hollywood.

I must say it was a hell of a weekend and if any of you get the chance to catch something similar in your area in the future my advice is go for it. This trip will remain one of the best experiences of my life and, in retrospect, all the hassles with getting tickets and blagging my way into screenings just added to the fun. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world and it didn’t actually cost much money. My Ryanair flights were only about £70 return, I stayed in a clean but cheap 2 star hotel and I just budgeted real tight on everything to make it all work. In fact, I managed to save money on some stuff (tickets for example) so I was able to buy some cool DVD’s and an Italian Spaghetti Western reference book while I was there. (I’ll list these on other relevant threads).

Now it’s time to write some reviews and catch up on my emails. I had a great time but it’s good to be home.

...in retrospect, all the hassles with getting tickets and blagging my way into screenings just added to the fun.

Yes that’s what I thought when first reading your posts, it must have given the trip an adventurous flavour, even if it must have been irritating at first!

Nice to hear that you had a good time after all!

[quote=“Phil H, post:22, topic:677”]OK, my Venice adventure has finally come to a close and I am back home but I thought I’d fill everyone in on how my last night went.

Navajo Joe was good and was well received by the audience there. I enjoyed it but, to be honest, it was my least favourite of the films I have seen over the weekend. For me it was a ‘run of the mill’ Corbucci film, not one of his best. But as I say, I did enjoy it nonetheless. And in attendance for this film was Sergio Salvati, cinematographer for Lucio Fulci on Four of the Apocalypse and Silver Saddle as well as a load of Fulci’s horror stuff I believe. Oh yeah, and while I’m name dropping, Eli Roth was also there with an entourage of sorts. All very Hollywood.

I must say it was a hell of a weekend and if any of you get the chance to catch something similar in your area in the future my advice is go for it. This trip will remain one of the best experiences of my life and, in retrospect, all the hassles with getting tickets and blagging my way into screenings just added to the fun. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world and it didn’t actually cost much money. My Ryanair flights were only about £70 return, I stayed in a clean but cheap 2 star hotel and I just budgeted real tight on everything to make it all work. In fact, I managed to save money on some stuff (tickets for example) so I was able to buy some cool DVD’s and an Italian Spaghetti Western reference book while I was there. (I’ll list these on other relevant threads).

Now it’s time to write some reviews and catch up on my emails. I had a great time but it’s good to be home.[/quote]
Glad you enjoyed yourself, just wish i could have gone.

Maybe next time.
If something like it comes up again we could go together and split the costs.

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Sounds like it was an awesome trip.

Thanks for the reports. I’m sure this will be remembered by you for a long time to come.

I’m hoping to go back to Almeria next year and check out some more locations, i wanted to go again this year but couldn’t afford it :slight_smile:

Sounds like a blast! I haven’t even been out of the country…

i’ve only left the country once and that was my 2005 trip to Almeria!

Well, if you’re a spaghetti western fan, it’s the one place to go if you can only go to one place…

Here’s some reports from Venice film fesival:

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php

For those interested here is Alex Cox’s blog entry about his experience at the Venice Festival.

http://www.alexcox.com/blog.htm

He obviously had a lot better access than me! ;D