Vengeance Trail / La vendetta è un piatto che si serve freddo (Pasquale Squitieri, 1971)

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:20, topic:1142”]I like Mann too, he seems to add a impression of spiritual pain to his parts, as if he’s really suffering, an idea a often miss with other people’s performances as an avenger

What DVD did you watch? Both the italian and German DVD seem to be fullscreen[/quote]

The UK C’est La Vie edition. It’s a pretty nice 1.85:1 widescreen release. As Ennioo mentioned earlier in this thread there is a little bit cropped off each side of the picture but this is really only very minor and only noticeable during the opening credits. It didn’t matter at all during the film I don’t think.

This one seems to show the clear signs of the Twilight spaghettis. made in 71 but filmed in such an amazingly serious tone that so many Twilights have. Good characterization and Leonard Mann is great. He may not have a real tough guy kind of voice but he has an amazing look. He can brood, ponder, and just have some general intense expressions.

1 Like

For those that want to see the film in it’s correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the Japanese DVD from SPO presents the film as such, and it’s also a longer version, but it’s in Italian only and has no English subs.

Thanks for the information as never knew the Japanese disc was longer.

A review of the C’est la Vie disc (hopefully it’s still available):

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Vengeance_Trail_DVD_Review

A movie review will be published on Fistful of Pasta

As korano pointed out this is surprisingly serious for a '71 sw. It’s not anything spectacular, a decent film with a great perfomance by Ivan Rassimov and the usual, but always welcome, cameo appearance of Kinski. Mann never was among my favorites, but he’s more than OK in this one. The indian lady is outstanding, a beautiful face, she literally burns the screen.

Database entry:

SWs with Indians often look a bit ridiculous and Vengeance Is a Dish Served Cold (which is the original title) is unfortunately, with the costumes and cliched dialogue for the Indians, not really an exception. The quite interesting story about a man who hates the wrong people for the wrong reasons gives Leonard Mann the chance to portray just another one of his suffering and disoriented heroes. But director Squitieri doesn’t have much luck trying to give the ambitious plot also an ambitious style.

1 Like

Recently viewed White Commanche and can relate to this.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:28, topic:1142”]Recently viewed White Commanche and can relate to this.[/quote]White Comanche is in it’s own league of bad fake indians.

Not to forget 10 White Victims of the Little Indian (Baldanello 74).
Compared to this one is Vengeance Trail an ethnological documentation.

1 Like

Weak movie with a worse Kinski.
A few good ideas and that’s it.
I have written before, I’m not a fan of Indians in SW.
In addition, the film suffers from a really low budget.
There are some nice camera shots … that was it.
Oh, I forgot something. There is a beautiful woman: Elizabeth Eversfield.
It is certainly a reason to watch the movie. :wink:

Forgot what a serious one this is. Mann is good ( tend to like alot of Mann stuff from the 70’s ), as the brooding bitter man after his revenge on the indians. Interesting how he changes re this though. Liked the character called Doc the best. Viewed a slightly longer version than the Uk dvd which shows us things that help us understand Mann’s motivations a little better. But an official uncut english friendly version in the correct aspect ratio of 2.35 is needed for this film in my view.

Glad to see there’s a bit more love for this - it does tend to polarize opinion. I think it’s quite marvellous.

Surprisingly great film… directed in a realistic and moody way, the pacing never lags. Very underrated, imo.

Hmm… maybe I should watch it then.
I don’t know, here is so many negative opinions, it seems you’re in minority.
I sometimes really like movies that are considered to be awfully boring… who knows?

Yeah, I think there might be more positive things said about this than negative, on this board… surprising on imdb that the directors Django sfida Sartana is rated much higher than this, i’d say Vengeance Trail is a great improvement over that film.

Definitely

Just thinking out of Django sfida Sartana and Vengeance Trail which is the more well known…

The trailer looks nice. I think I’ll watch it some day, as I’m a great fan of Kinski. :wink:

Yes like that one, catches the spirit of the film.