Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992)

“He should have armed himself if he’s going to decorate his saloon with the body of my friend.”

YES!(I think your qoutes a little off but I get the point)

The only part I didn’t like about the unforgiven ending was why the Hell did Clint have to meticulously aim his shot gun when the end of the barrel was just a couple of inches away from Gene Hackman’s nose?

Because he had been on the booze?

It looked to me like he shot him in the neck or chin.

Two Mules is amazing, I like that part where he has to get the bullet out of his arm… a few action movies have done it since (like Rambo 3). Unforgiven is my favourite of his US westerns as well.

I don’t think that there’s any difference wether Clint directed them or someone else, they are all his.

Except for the 3 (Paint Your Wagon amongst them) of his (american) films which weren’t produced by his own company Malpaso.

But Don Siegel was a sort of a mentor to him, and the Siegel films (which mostly came early in Eastwood’s career) are both, Siegel films and Eastwood films.

After 71 all his films were produced by Malpaso, and there’s no doubt who was the maker of them. And the only interesting directors Philip Kaufman and Blake Edwards, who possibly had therir own ideas, were fired by him early.

Do you consider The Beguiled a western?

After In The Line Of Fire Eastwood never starred in another film directed by another director other than himself, which I think is a shame as all directors have different ideas and would have been interesting to see Eastwood under the hands of another director in his later years.

Whether as a director he thought he could do a better job, save a bit of cash if he directs aswell and /or just become set in his ways as some people do when they get older?

Unforgiven might be my favorite film of Eastwood’s. The film is the closest american western I’ve ever seen that reflects the spaghetti genre in look and style, without ripping anyone off. Quite a number of the scenes look like Spaghetti scene’s especially the dark, rainy night scene’s, ( look like they come from And God Said to Cain), and the train and barber scene’s with English Bob ( look like they come from A Leone film) Anyway you look at it, this was my favorite Eastwood performance of all time. Eastwood ( William Munny) is an aging, gunslinger, who’s life was turned around when he meet a woman named Claudia. Claudia however, passes away from smallpox, and William mourns over her death as he tries to make life as a farmer. Eventually, William learns of a job that involves killing a few no goods who’ve beaten the hell out of a brothel worker. Eventually William comes to terms he isn’t going to make as a farmer, and seeks out his former partner Ned. Together they decide to take the job, however things dont go according to plan, and William quickly turns into the man he was before he met Claudia. A stunning film!

1 Like

Yep, a big favourite of mine, this one. You should check out the Japanese remake Yurusarezaru mono (Lee, 2013), if you can.

1 Like

No kidding, got a lot on my watch list, but i may have to keep this in mind.

Unforgiven is a good film but I don’t understand why it’s considered so great. There’s much better Eastwood westerns. The Outlaw Josey Wales is a superior film in my opinion, which I can watch over and over, whereas Unforgiven isn’t one I’m eager to sit through again even though it has some great scenes, especially the final showdown. When I do get around to another viewing, I’ll have to see if I still feel the same. I had high expectations and it didn’t really deliver. Anybody else feel the same about this one or am I the odd one out?

I felt the same. Also, Pale Rider isn’t one I’d watch again. I love watching The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, Two Mules for Sister Sara…But NONE of those will ever be as cool as his performance in the Dollars trilogy.

1 Like

Good film, but overrated. It just turns into a run of the mill revenge flick in the end. But luckily the final showdown is really good.

1 Like

I must admit I still like this one a lot

2 Likes

Well, because it’s well acted, it’s entertaining and the most important thing about it…it’s about justice.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on this Eastwood’s unforgiven movie ? It seems to be painting a negative image on the wild west of the old . Not thay im critical about it, buh its a masterpiece that is thought provoking

What you call “negative” I call realistic. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

One of my all-time favorite westerns and movies. I like that it portrays a murderous outlaw long after his heyday came and went, and he survived his violent lifestyle. However, unlike Henry Fonda in My Name is Nobody, Eastwood’s William Munny has been living the life of an ordinary pig farmer. And not a very good one at that. The gritty realism of Unforgiven is part of its appeal in my opinion.

2 Likes

My thoughts are, that it’s a good movie.

1 Like

On first viewing I thought it was too nostalgic but it grew on me after more viewings🤠

2 Likes