UK GBU screenings

http://www.screamindemon.com/2008/08/03/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-to-be-re-released-in-the-uk/

thanks to Craig

If anyone from the U.K wants to meet up for a London screening at some point :slight_smile:

hey if I had the money, i’d fly up

Yep, these are the screenings at the BFI I posted on the ‘Have you seen a spaghetti on the big screen’ thread.

GBU is being shown every day until August 14th.

[quote=“Phil H, post:4, topic:1192”]Yep, these are the screenings at the BFI I posted on the ‘Have you seen a spaghetti on the big screen’ thread.

GBU is being shown every day until August 14th.[/quote]

It’s now being shown outside of the BFI screenings.

I read about this re-release in The Guardian last weekend and after some surfing I thought it was only going to be on in London and Edinburgh. Being in the North of England I was weighing up whether a trip either way would be worth it but now thankfully I shall be able to get to Manchester or Bradford.
Thanks for the help folks! What a wonderful place this is!

Bradford for me! ;D

Shit, I have never seen GBU on the big screen.

A scandal

outrageous even :wink:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_southbank/film_programme/august_seasons/clint_eastwood_part_one

have we mentioned this?

can somebody write up a little news item about all these UK screenings for the Main Page?

Yeah, I mentioned it on another thread. But I’m happy to add something to the news stuff if you’d like.

maybe we could summarize these screening opportunities in a few sentences complete with links for the main page

The brochure for the film museum’s itinery dropped thru’ the letterbox today …
This is for the Bradford screenings and I’ll do my best to copy exactly what it says and give the times … (inc. colours as appropriate) …

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Extended Cut) (Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo)
Friday 12 - Sunday 14 September

Dir. Sergio Leone
Italy/Spain 1966 179 mins
(15) Some subtitles
Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach, Aldo Giuffre, Luigi Pistilli

The timeless spaghetti western returns with restored scenes and on a glorious new digital print. The Man with No Name and Tuco are gunmen who admire each other professionally but dislike each other personally. Encountering a group of dying soldiers, Tuco learns the location of the graveyard where a Confederate treasure is buried, while the Man with No Name learns the identity of the exact grave. Joined by the mercenary drifter Sentenza, they cross the desert, each of the desperados knowing part of the secret and each focusing his squinty eyes on the $200,000 bounty.
New print

The film is being shown at the Pictureville Cinema (by the side of the National Media Museum) at the following screenings …

Fri 12 - 1.45 / 7.15 pm
Sat 13 - 11.30 am / 5.00 pm
Sun 14 - 4.30 pm

So there you go then - any takers? ;D

It’s tempting Rev, but I think I’ll save my trip to sunny Yorkshire for next year when the Spaghetti Western season comes around.

If anyone wants to meet up for a London screening i’m up for it (if i’ve got the cash at the time)

there’s a season for this?

Well, if all goes to plan, there will be a Spaghetti Western season at the BFI here in London next June (about 10-12 films shown during the month) and at least some of these will then be screened at the BFI in Bradford (home of the national centre of the moving image here in the UK). That seems to warrant a trip north for me. A couple of non Leone spaghettis, the company of the good reverend and the occasional pint of some dark northern ale, all in the cultural home of the curry. That’s a winning combination if ever I heard one.

Bradford is where exactly?

btw, can somebody put all those screenings into our new screenings ticker?

Heehee, sounds like a witches’ brew to me. “Double, double toil and trouble…”

Ha ha. A good question! But one this particular Londoner is far too polite to answer except to say it’s ‘Oop North’. But never fear, all the featured films of the season will be shown ‘Darn Sarf’ first.

I’ll be glad to when they are set but at this stage it’s still only being planned. I do have a preliminary list which Alex Cox sent me (he is co curator of the event) and it looks like it will be well worth a trip for any spaghetti fan. The idea is to focus on films other than the obvious and well covered Leone films. So featured directors will be Corbucci, Questi, Valerii, Tessari etc and penciled in films will include The Great Silence, The Price of Power, Bandidos, And God Said to Cain, Django Kill and others.

Rest assured I will keep everyone informed as it develops.