UK BBFC cinema cuts of spaghetti westerns

Yes

There were a couple of earlier releases (earlier than 2005).

There was the USA laserdisc which was the first time I saw the longer version (probably paid £40 for that - huge sum 20 years ago). That was missing the final flashback entirely but otherwise complete. The 2003 UK DVD was also the longer version.

Unfortunately I junked my copy of the shorter version but absolutely certain that scene was missing as I have watched the movie about 10 times including at the cinema in the 1980s.

1 Like

I am sure I must have watched it on VHS at least 5 or 6 times … it’s just funny how the mind plays these tricks … but I unloaded my VHS collection about 25 years ago, just as DVD was coming in.

As always, you are welcome amigo… :wink:

Aldo: “It was only 44 years ago, so forgive me if I get a bit confused.”
You and I both, my friend…! :+1: :smile:

“Eee, by 'eck…it’s good to reminisce 'bout old days”:smile:

“Got a light, Sergio?”

1 Like

ACE HIGH aka REVENGE IN EL PASO (1969 release)

Fairly mild BBFC cuts for an A rating but cut significantly by the distributor and the UK cinema release, titled Revenge in El Paso ran only 103m (cut from 122m submitted to the BBFC).

I think this cut version turned up on UK TV as I saw it on TV under this title.

The full length 122m print was submitted for video in 1988 and received a horsefall cut for a 15 rating. The A cuts were restored. No UK DVD release.

Note that the first Cat Stevens film, God Forgives, I Don’t didn’t hit UK cinemas until 1972 (ie after Trinity). Eli Wallach’s presence probably accounts for this relatively prompt cinema release.

ACE HIGH (aka: REVENGE IN EL PASO) (1968)

Classified ‘A’ for theatrical release (released as Revenge In El Paso) in 1969 after the following cuts:

DR1 - Shorten the fight, especially removing the kicks and heavier blows.
DR2 - Remove all shots of a bottle being broken and used as a weapon.

Significant distributor cuts reduced the running time to 103m.

Classified ‘15’ for video in 1988 (uncut version 116m Pal submitted as Ace High) after the following cut (2s):

In sequence in which two men hide from Mexican pursuers behind boulder, remove shot in which horse is pulled down to ground by rope (at 1.06.18) round hind legs.

ADIOS GRINGO (1967 release)

Mild cuts for an X rating. Released before either of the first two Dollar movies and before Return of Ringo. Pistol for Ringo and One Silver Dollar had been released in 1966. No subsequent home video release.

ADIOS GRINGO (1965)

Classified ‘X’ for theatrical release in 1967 after the following cuts:

R3 - The beating up of Brent must be virtually removed.
R5 - The fight between Brent and Clawson must be considerably reduced. Remove as far as possible kicks and low blows.

AND GOD SAID TO CAIN (1970 release)

One cut only for an 18 X. Quite a limited release.

AND GOD SAID TO CAIN (1969)

Classified ‘X’ for theatrical release in 1970 after the following cuts:

DR4 – Remove shots of man’s body crushed by heavy ball (soon after ball has fallen; the later shot as Dick walks passed the body is alright).

(NB: 1970 entry on BBFC database as And God Spoke to Cain)

Passed ‘12’ uncut for Arrow Blu Ray in 2021 (so big drop in rating).

2 Likes

ARIZONA COLT (1970 release)

Abridged print submitted and 2m of cuts for an X rating with the BBFC objecting to several gratuitous killings by the Sancho character even for an 18 X. I would guess the distributor had longer version (before pre-cuts) as this had the Arizona Colt title. The contemporary MFB review complained about the violence and the killings even after these cuts.

No subsequent UK release.

ARIZONA COLT (aka THE MAN FROM NOWHERE) (1966)

Pre-cut version running 106m submitted.

Classified ‘X’ for theatrical release in 1970 after the following cuts (2m):

R4 - Reduce the episode in which Gordo sadistically shoots six men who are running away.

Considerably reduce the fight between Clay and Arizona, removing the more vicious and low blows.

R5/6 - After Gordo and his band have stormed into town, remove shot of Gordo shooting a man “for the hell of it” and laughing.

Remove shots of Gordo shooting a man in the saloon and of this man’s wounded face and Gordo’s remark “that’s what you get for talking before you’re asked”.

When the bandits run amok in the street remove shot of man being hit very hard in the back after Gordo says “So, you won’t talk” and following shot of man’s hand being squeezed in the spokes of a cart-wheel.

UK theatrical version ran 104m following these cuts (vs116m for longer version).

2 Likes

So there was a UK theatrical release (albeit limited) of ‘E Dio disse a Caino’ after all. It fared pretty well with the censor’s scissors although I’m not surprised poor Luciano Pigozzi’s death throes (crushed under the bell) were cut.

The BBFC database doesn’t link the Blu Ray and Cinema certifications of And God Said to Cain as it has them under different titles which isn’t helpful.

The film wasn’t reviewed in the MFB, which was supposed to be the BFIs journal of record and the main source of credits for UK released films back in the bad old days. However, it was reviewed in trade papers Kine Weekly and Today’s Cinema in November 1970 so was definitely available for exhibitors.

BAD MAN’S RIVER (1971 release)

Various cuts for an A now reinstated on DVD.

BAD MAN’S RIVER (1971)

Classified ‘A’ for theatrical release in 1971 after the following cuts:

R2 - Remove all stomach blows on the man who is caught and tortured, and also remove the blow on the kidneys.

R3 - The accumulated killing and violence must be reduced, in particular removing shootings at close range and close shots of men dying.

Passed uncut for ‘12’ DVD in 2003 (although abridged version missing 3m released in 2000).

BANDIDOS (1968 release)

A few interesting cuts for an X. Now cut for a horsefall on Arrow Blu Ray.

BANDIDOS (1967)

Classified ‘X’ for theatrical release in 1968 after the following cuts:

R1 - Substantially reduce the killings in the train and in the fight between Martin and a number of men after the first “Ricky Shot” has been killed. (NB: fight includes kick to groin and use of broken bottle)

R3 - Considerably shorten the scene in which Kramer is killed. (NB: one must assume that the BBFC objected to the fact that Kramer decides to arbitrarily murder dance hall girls as his dying act and removed most of the dialogue mentioning this as the episode is not violent per se)

This appears to have been released as GUNS OF DEATH following a last minute title change. The BBFC have a separate entry for Guns of Death.

In 2021 the cuts for violence above were waived for the Arrow Blu Ray but a new horsefall cut was made.

2 Likes

THE BIG GUNDOWN (1969 release)

The 90m international version was passed X after several cuts but then the distributor asked for an A resulting in a massive 6m of cuts with several entire scenes removed. It was eventually released with an A after these cuts in 1969. This was the version seen by Alex Cox and referred to in his tome. To add insult to injury the BBFC re-rated this cut version AA (upwards) in 1970 when the ratings system changed. No official release of the uncut version until the Indicator Blu Ray although the International Version has played uncut on Cable TV channels.

THE BIG GUNDOWN (1966)

The 90m ‘International Version’ was classified ‘X’ for theatrical release in 1968 after the following cuts:

DR2 - Shorten the fight between two men at the ranch; and especially remove the close shot of man’s gashed face.

DR3 - Reduce to a minimum the whole incident in which Cuchillo, who is tied up with ropes, is whipped.

DR6 - Drastically reduce the scene in which Rosita is beaten-up by two men.

The film does not appear to have been released as an ‘X’. Instead, the distributor asked for an ‘A’ the following year and it was classified ‘A’ in 1969 after the following cuts (c.6m):

DR1 - Remove close shot of a hanging man.

Remove “She’s been raped, no more’n twelve years old”.

DR2 - Remove “rape” from account of why the Mexican was wanted.

Considerably shorten the fight between the two men at the ranch. Also remove the close shot of the gashed face of one of them (also ‘X cut).

DR3 - Remove the whole scene in the bedroom between Cuchillo and a woman.

Very considerably shorten the whipping of Cuchillo(also ‘X’ cut).

Remove the whole scene in which men hold Cuchillo’sface down in the mud and he describes to them what Corbett is doing with the woman in the house.

Remove “You wouldn’t be satisfied with just one man. You enjoy being queen bee too much”.

In the discussion between Corbett and a policeman remove the references to the attack on the twelve year old girl.

Remove “Rosita’s worked in a bordello since she was just fifteen”.

DR4 - Remove “But a little girl of twelve, her you could”.

DR5 - Remove the shots of Rosita undressing and lying down on a bed. Remove the references to a rapist when Corbett is talking to Rosita.

Considerably shorten the fight in the cantina.

Remove the sequences in which Cuchillo is seen with prostitutes.

Remove the shots of police hitting a man in the face.

DR6 - Remove the attack on Rosita by two men (heavily cut for ‘X’) and their being knifed by Cuchillo.

Remove “You got drunk and raped and killed that little girl”.

Remove Brockson’s talk about hunting animals and a man.

Running time 84m after these cuts.

Cut ‘A’ version re-classified ‘AA’ in 1970.

Uncut version, 110m, passed ‘15’ for Blu Ray in 2022 (also 90m international cut and 95m USTV version).

2 Likes

BLAZING GUNS (aka: THEY CALL HIM HOLY GHOST; HIS NAME WAS HOLY GHOST) (1976 release)

Late release for this one and some cuts for an A rating. They Call Him Cemetery doesn’t seem to have been released in the UK.

BLAZING GUNS (aka: THEY CALL HIM HOLY GHOST; HIS NAME WAS HOLY GHOST) (1972)

Classified ‘A’ for theatrical release, as BLAZING GUNS, in 1976 after the following cuts:

R3 - Remove the scene where the hero guns down a line of men on the riverbank.

Remove sight of hero administering double blow to ears of machine-gunner.

R4 - Remove dialogue line, “It’s still a whorehouse, ain’t it?”

Remove dialogue line, “He’s their pimp”.

R5 - Remove dialogue line, “Shit and I believe him”.

Credits reel – Remove gun smash to man’s stomach, blow to shoulder and shooting of man with pitchfork.

No subsequent submission.

BLINDMAN (1974 release)

Blindman unsurprisingly had a torrid time at the BBFC. It was rejected entirely in February 1972.

A not unsurprising rejection given the numerous scenes showing sexual abuse of women and extreme violence dealt out to the male characters, although much of the film is tongue-in-cheek. The tone of excessive cynicism could not have help either. The BBFC seem to have been shown virtually a full length version.

The distributor seems to have then agreed to make whatever cuts were necessary to get it released as an X. Consequently it was heavily cut by between 7-9m. The version which eventually appeared in UK cinemas, but not until 1974, ran only 96m (105m for uncut version).

The official cuts list below seems to be incomplete because more violent footage is missing. This may have been pre-cut by the distributor.

I have annotated what appears to have been snipped.

BLINDMAN (1971)

Rejected for theatrical release in February 1972.

Subsequently classified ‘X’ for theatrical release in June 1972 after the following cuts (c.7m):

R2 - Remove Candy’s bows to Pilar. (NB: 2 blows)

Reduce mauling of women by Mexican officers, in particular reducing the shots of the officer cutting a woman’s dress off with a knife. (NB: 1m sequence, one imagines most of it was cut)

In the scene where Blindman confronts Domingo, remove Domingo’s kicking of Blindman together with his comment “I only kick so hard”.

Considerably shorten the massacre of the troops by machine gun. (NB: sequence lasts over 1m and presumably at least half of this was cut)

R3 - Reduce the scene where Domingo beats Blindman against a wall.

Remove the sequence in which Blindman is suspended by chains and repeatedly dropped on a table and the floor. (NB: 35s sequence, he’s dropped 4 times on the table and once on the floor)

Reduce the beating of Blindman while he is lying on the floor. (NB: immediately follows above scene)

Remove shot of Mexican General being pistol-whipped across the mouth.

Remove the sequence where a fuse is lit, that leads into the front of Blindman’s trousers. (NB: 50s)

In the escape of Mexican General remove the shots of Blindman shooting a bandit many times.

Reduce the stabbing of Pilar’s father by Candy, removing close-up of stab wound in stomach.

R4 - Reduce the shooting of Candy by Blindman, particularly blood spurts from wounds.

Especially remove the scene where a girl is dragged behind a runaway wagon in the sequence in which the women are ridden down. (NB: one brief shot)

During the chase of the women, remove close shots of bandits struggling with, and stripping, individual women. (NB: sequence lasts 2m, one imagines at least half of this would have been cut)

In the scene where Domingo’s sister is tied to a post by Blindman and he pulls her dress down, end the shot before her breasts are exposed.

R5 - Shorten the sequence where Blindman kills a woman by choking her with his thighs, in particular removing the shots of her trying to bite his genitals.

The BBFC Register of Exceptions cuts list above is missing the climatic blinding and killing of Domingo which must have been also cut or pre-cut before resubmission following the earlier rejection.

The UK theatrical print ran only 96m, 9m shorter than the full length 105m version although the submitted print would have been a few minutes shorter and not included the minor Italian-only scenes.

No UK resubmission and I don’t believe this has ever played on UK TV or cable channels.

This is an absolutely fascinating thread, thank you.

The BBFC website is a less useful resource than it used to be, as they no longer admit to cutting films at all (or initially rejecting them as was the case with Blindman).

One correction - And God Said to Cain was released as a AA. There is a set of Golden Era lobby cards with this classification, and the BBFC website confirms it, under a mis-worded title, as you say (I always wondered why I couldn’t find it there!).

3 Likes

[quote]“Toscano, post:19, topic:7434”]
Yeah, I remember it well, amigo. It was the second time I’d seen it - the first being Easter Monday, 1976…a film that changed my life! :cowboy_hat_face:[/quote]

Same here! I was 11, and managed to watch the first half hour of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on our black and white TV before my dad decided I was too young for that sort of thing. But it changed the whole course of my imagination, and I’ve been obsessed with the genre ever since. I was finally able to watch it (in colour) during the 1979 spaghetti western season.

2 Likes

BLOOD AT SUNDOWN (aka: 1,000 DOLLARS ON THE BLACK) (1966)

Classified ‘18’ for video in 1986 after the following cuts (10s):

At 36m43s - To comply with the Cinematograph (Animals) Act, please remove illegal tripping of two horses.

I can’t see a theatrical release for this and the video submission seems to have now vanished from their site as well (it was there before their revamp a couple of years ago).

1 Like

You are correct about the Cain AA certificate although the BBFC source I used had it as an X.

My information was mostly taken from the BBFC before they reformatted their website and as you say eliminated most of the old cuts and rejections and also a lot of old entries and also ruined their search engine (you can only search on titles; previously you could search on names and dates and certificates). If you want cut details you can just email the BBFC and ask them - they will give you anything more than 20 years old. I also got a lot of this information by visiting their offices and going through their ‘Register of Exceptions’ and a number of the actual case files. Their official cuts lists pre-video are often incomplete or sometimes wrong due to constant haggling with the filmmakers meaning that it was sometimes not clear what was cut. Also many of their instructions are ‘reduce’ rather than being precise and sometimes it was just a sound cut that was made. The video cuts are much more precise as to shots removed (as these are legalised cuts).

1 Like

BLOOD MONEY (aka: THE STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER) (1974)

Classified ‘X’ for theatrical release in 1975 after the following cuts:

R1 - Remove sight of blood from guard’s mouth in hero’s leaving for fight outside warlord’s palace.

R5 - Remove close shot of Dakota’s bloody torso and sight of whip landing on him (beginning of reel).

Reduce violence in final fight in courtyard, removing in particular:

• close shot of blood spurt from bullet wound in man’s forehead

• sight of back kick to crotch in fight between Wang Ho and Indian;

• close shot of double chop to Indian’s ears by Wang Ho;

• close in on Indian’s bloody body after slow motion fall from wall, showing very bloody hole in stomach (long shot only can remain);

• reduce to a minimum necessary for continuity Dakota’s shooting of villain Deacon, removing close bloody impact shots.

1986 video was passed ‘18’ uncut although it is not known whether the submission was pre-cut.

I can’t find these entries on the BBFC site anymore.

1 Like

I have some old editions of ‘Screen International’ which reviewed and rated everything released in the UK… one title I was surprised to see ‘Kill the Wicked’,

Don’t know if they have an archived edition, but might be a good source for your research.