Tom Weisser "Untruth" Project

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:20, topic:1563”]1. page 226
2. Night of the Serpent.
3. Plot synopsis and music.
4. Weisser has the music attributed to Ennio Morricone, whereas everybody else reckons Riz Ortolani is responsible.
His synopsis of the film is laughably (criminally) bad.
Weisser reckons this is a film that has Pistilli (the Serpent) as a "notorious bandit who wreaks havoc on Silver City when, after attempting a bank robbery, he and his gang are trapped inside a saloon."
5. On my copy of the film, Pistilli is a Mexican federale officer who is trying to solve a murder to track down the inheritance of a youngster, with ideas of keeping it for himself. In this task he is thwarted by an ex-gunslinger and alchoholic who has holed-up with a gang of Mexicans. In fact the whole story (except for a few flashbacks) is set in Mexico … and I do not recall any mention of a Silver City. Weisser couldn’t possibly have seen this film! He also likens NOTS’s plot to that of Adios Hombres - which is almost completely set in a U.S. town, and is about a wrongly convicted man tracking down the real culprits for the crime. Again, there is no similarity whatsoever.[/quote]

Yeah, this one really got to me. Again, you wonder what he was thinking.

Great thread! Soon as i have a few spare hours i’ll be digging out my copy of that travesty of a book!

Also according to Weisser there was a sequel to His Name was Holy Ghost.

I think his description of John the Bastard is all wrong too.

There were a few un[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:23, topic:1563”]Also according to Weisser there was a sequel to His Name was Holy Ghost.

I think his description of John the Bastard is all wrong too.[/quote]

There were a few unofficial sequels directed by Fidani-wannabe Roberto Mauri, but he also mentions Garko being in one, and I don’t think that’s true.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:11, topic:1563”]There is a ton of errors listed in this other forum:

http://www.lovelockandload.net/forum/index.php?topic=244.0[/quote]

This is the original thread

The lovelock version is mostly a cut and paste job from the above

I’m Banjo from the Leone Board and am all for exposing the Weissers fraud but i’m praying this exercise doesn’t result in him benefiting from an accurate revised edition of the book. :frowning:

I wonder if it would it be a good idea to create some sort of index to keep tabs on our progress through Weissers book so we’re not treading on each others toes?

[quote=“Lasky, post:26, topic:1563”]I’m Banjo from the Leone Board and am all for exposing the Weissers fraud but i’m praying this exercise doesn’t result in him benefiting from an accurate revised edition of the book. :frowning:

I wonder if it would it be a good idea to create some sort of index to keep tabs on our progress through Weissers book so we’re not treading on each others toes?[/quote]

I’m not going to attempt to document all of his errors (untruths). I can’t devote that amount of time to this. I’m going to start to organize this info (from the various threads) this weekend and add about 50-60 corrections of my own. I’m going to organize it by page number (that’s why I asked people post in this thread in a certain format). I will probably put it in a table but I will create a Word doc of it too.
My purpose is only to submit a partial list to the editor at McFarland. I want to do this fairly soon. They do not expect me to provide them a comprehensive list. Even just a partial list would be in the scores (and possibly hundreds) of errors. That’s a pretty hefty amount.
Yes, it would be ironic to have this result in his book getting a revised edition but that’s a bridge to cross later I think. I want to shine some light on this poorly executed work that has, so far, ecaped any scrutiny from it,s publisher.
When I get some of this stuff compiled I will post it for others to check/look at.
How is that Banjo?
I appreciate your imput and help.

That’s fine by me and even better if we all end up contributing to our own book as discussed on the other thread!

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:27, topic:1563”]I’m not going to attempt to document all of his errors (untruths). I can’t devote that amount of time to this. I’m going to start to organize this info (from the various threads) this weekend and add about 50-60 corrections of my own. I’m going to organize it by page number (that’s why I asked people post in this thread in a certain format). I will probably put it in a table but I will create a Word doc of it too.
My purpose is only to submit a partial list to the editor at McFarland. I want to do this fairly soon. They do not expect me to provide them a comprehensive list. Even just a partial list would be in the scores (and possibly hundreds) of errors. That’s a pretty hefty amount.
Yes, it would be ironic to have this result in his book getting a revised edition but that’s a bridge to cross later I think. I want to shine some light on this poorly executed work that has, so far, ecaped any scrutiny from it,s publisher.
When I get some of this stuff compiled I will post it for others to check/look at.
How is that Banjo?
I appreciate your imput and help.[/quote]

I appreciate what you’re trying to do but frankly, it will be a wasted effort.
McFarland just doesn’t care.
Your best bet is to make THE answer to Weisser’s book.
I’ve been working on it myself for the past year but have recently given up considering there is 700 of these movies in total (of which, maybe, 500 are available) so it is a too BIG a job for just little ole’ me.
What I’ve decided to do , instead , is write reviews of spags from some of the more well known directors of the genre (their whole spaghetti filmographies) to get beginners started.
Plus, pack that with posters, artwork and interviews with the stars and crew (which I already have).

It isn’t the answer to Weisser’s error/lie ridden book but it is a start (I should have nearly 200 movies reviewed in it).

Or maybe, if we could all ban together and make reviews for one giant book we could do the definitive SW BIBLE for the English speaking audience.

I could submit my already existing reviews and interviews.

Our book should be called: “The Spaghetti Western Database Guide to Spaghetti Westerns” LOL

Not bad.

At least it could be used as a sub title. Without the LOL maybe.

I was already familiar with Weisser the weasel before his SW book came out so I didn’t bother with this book. Some people said it was great to have just for the titles. I still didn’t see the point in spending a lot of money on this just for some titles when so much info in it was made up in the first place. And it seems he’s made no attempt at fixing any of it since the books initial release. You guys have a long and hard road ahead to correct all that. I hope McFarland will make some attempt to fix this or simply discontinue sale of this tome.

[quote=“Stanton, post:31, topic:1563”]Not bad.

At least it could be used as a sub title. Without the LOL maybe.[/quote]

No LOL, No deal

No need to correct anything.
Just start from scratch. I have a years worth of work done already.
If we ban together we could have a book out within 2 years, or less.

If nobody is willing to cooperate, I understand , I’ll just put out the book I intend to put out and see if it goes anywhere.

It’s pipe dream to think that Mcfarland would do that.
If it makes them money “it ain’t broke” in their eyes.

I have nothing against such a project (by which I mean our own book) but I can’t help but feel it would just be an exercise akin to re inventing the wheel. Weisser’s book is a pile of crap and should be discontinued but there are other, more reliable people who have compiled better and more honourable books. i.e. Giusti and Bruckner. The only problem with these books for us is that they were not written in english. The work itself is sound.

Therefore, it seems to me that what is needed is translations of these books into english. A much easier task than recompiling and researching stuff that has already been done.

Just my two cents worth.