To Kill a Jackal (Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead) DVD

If you want to be more accurate, it is pronounced “Gnothi seauton”. “Gnoothi seauton” would be something like “Γνουθι σεαυτον” in Greek which doesn;t make any sense.

I’m not trying to be a smartass, it is just the fact that i’m a Greek guy myself. :slight_smile:

[quote=“ION BRITTON, post:41, topic:1325”]If you want to be more accurate, it is pronounced “Gnothi seauton”. “Gnoothi seauton” would be something like “Γνουθι σεαυτον” in Greek which doesn;t make any sense.

I’m not trying to be a smartass, it is just the fact that i’m a Greek guy myself. :)[/quote]

I learned my (ancient) Greek 35-40 years ago, and it was mainly limited to the Greek of Homer, Plato and Aristotle
Everything more modern, was thought of as vulgur
We were told, in those days, to pronounce - Γνωθι - with a long o-sound (as in hole, or whole), but our teachers weren’t Greek of course!
I was in Greece once, I think it was '78, and found out that I couldn’t understand anything of the modern Greek language
I Olympia an actor was reciting an ancient text (I don’t remeber exactly which one) and I could only understand some words of it
The same happens in Italy all the time, when a scholar says something in Latin; they learn to pronounce sounds (and entire words) differently overthere, and it’s not easy to understand them. Even a simple word (or name) as ‘Caesar’ is pronounced differently: we learned something like ‘say-zar’, in Italy they say ‘chay-sar’; my daughter learned in school: ‘ka-ay-saar’ (a little like the German word Kaiser)

Nice to know we have an expert on board !

Bah, far from an expert actually, we were having frequent ancient Greek classes at school for about 5-6 years and that’s where i learned what i have learned. Haven’t done much progress since then, although i’m reading some classic ancient Greek stuff from time to time.

It’s a bit difficult to understand what’s the deal with the pronounciation of ancient Greek / modern Greek. In the older days, i presume things would be quite different, but nowadays almost every letter or dipthong is pronounced the same way regardless of the word where it is used. For example the double λ in the word “Ελλάδα” (Ellada), which is “Greece”, is supposed to be pronounced with a long/lengthy l-sound, but no one pronounces it this way anymore. Ancient Greek are a difficult language and it’s getting even more confusing if you try to follow exactly the pronounciation rules.
Sadly, modern Greek, although simpler, sound and are much ‘‘poorer’’. We also have this tendency to bastardize our language with many english words or slang idioms-phrases and the result is that the language becomes more and more degenerated…

This movie is readily available on DVD in the USA under the title “Renegade Gun.” It’s cheap discount dvd for about $6 at FYE and the likes. Sorry, I don’t remember offhand if it’s widescreen or not and I don’t know if it’s cut… The movie itself is a little slow, but still watchable. I wouldn’t exactly put it high on my list, but plenty of films are far worse!

The Renegade Gun DVD from 905 Entertainment is definitely a fullframe VHS rip, but i definitely enjoyed it. Need to upgrade this one of these days.

I recently bought the 905 entertainment version The Renegade Gun dvd for $2.47, on sale 75% off. I mainly bought it just because Klaus Kinski’s name was on it. This was really a great spaghetti western. The slow pace worked great in my opinion i don’t think there was a moment that i was bored watching this. It was such an original spaghetti western. A great change of pace from the normal spaghetti western formula.

Glad to see another big fan. Hope this turns out to be eventually some kind of cult film. ;D

Yea, i hope i gets somewhat of a following. 2 comments on IMDB does not exactly say it is the most popular spaghetti western. The soundtrack kinda reminded me of the girl part of the keoma song. The reason i don’t think many people like it is because it pretty much is a heist movie that takes place in the spaghetti west. Not a spaghetti western that has a heist in it. All in all it is definitely one of the best. It sorta reminded me of reservoir dogs, not showing the heist and taking place in the bar/ranch most of the film apposed to taking place in the warehouse in reservoir dogs. Just because there is no action going on does not necessarily mean that it is slow paced. You have enough suspense to keep you entertained and on the edge up until the action. You never know what anyone is up to, who is not telling the truth and what will happen next. Like the scene when the sheriff comes to the bar/ranch, it was very suspenseful.

Where have you been all my life! :smiley: Your thougts are the exact same as mine and I thought I was the only one!

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Prega_il_morto_e_ammazza_il_vivo/DVD

which one of these is it?

The run time for this “Renegade Gun” release must be wrong. The film hasn’t 118 min.

No, my 905 Entertainment disc says 92min. on the cover and clocks in at 93 and change on my player. The cover is similar, but with a banner across the top that says DVD MOVIE PREMIERE.

That’s more likely

The other US DVD release of this film as To Kill A Jackal is full frame (not pan and scan, sides cut) and looks like a third generation video tape dupe. Single layer. Unacceptably poor quality for a ‘legit’ DVD issue.

Too bad because this is an excellent film which deserves a quality release.

Well there is the Koch release with English audio.

AAANNNDDD!!

Koch rip in English

Korano, thanks for the link. I’ve never used, or even visited, one of these film download sites before. I certainly look forward to investigating how it works.

No download necessary. It’s streaming.

[quote=“Mortimer, post:54, topic:1325”]The other US DVD release of this film as To Kill A Jackal is full frame (not pan and scan, sides cut) and looks like a third generation video tape dupe. Single layer. Unacceptably poor quality for a ‘legit’ DVD issue.

Too bad because this is an excellent film which deserves a quality release.[/quote]

Sounds like the RENEGADE GUN version is actually better. It’s full-frame too, but sharp not dupey. And i believe it’s cheaper.

Also, the English audio on Renegade Gun is better than on the Koch dvd.

koch should re-release this one (with proper OAR) inthe rainbow collection