Tintin

It was actually notified over here as well a couple of years back, but charges where dropped. Maybe it was a coordinated action in many countries (or maybe it was just because a new edition was put out…). To me it´s one book that could stay out of print, but at the same time i´m not in favour of banning books either…
It´s allways healthy to discuss the ideals of icons/authors, specially when their works are aimed at/liked by kids who don´t read with much of a critical understanding of the text. But yeah, in the end it´s the work we like not the man behind it.

Yes I’m familiar with them, but I don’t have them myself any longer. The Swedish voices of Tintin and Haddock became closely associated with the characters, also in the animated TV series. They were really fitting.

@ Scherp

No matter if Hergé had some pro-Nazi ideas, I think the stereotypes in books like Tintin in the Congo weren’t as controversial before the war even among common people.

But it’s typical for our politically correct times to press charges or ban them.

To be fair Hergé also for example took the side of the Chinese against the Japanese and the International Settlement in Shanghai, in Blue Lotus.

And there are many Tintin adventures also were there aren’t any ‘racist’ ideas at all, the ones made in the 1950s and onwards.

I think the one where they visit the moon is quite fun, Objectif Lune in French.

[quote=“Lindberg, post:22, topic:1831”]@ Scherp

No matter if Hergé had some pro-Nazi ideas, I think the stereotypes in books like Tintin in the Congo weren’t as controversial before the war even among common people.

But it’s typical for our politically correct times to press charges or ban them.

To be fair Hergé also for example took the side of the Chinese against the Japanese and the International Settlement in Shanghai, in Blue Lotus.

And there are many Tintin adventures also were there aren’t any ‘racist’ ideas at all, the ones made in the 1950s and onwards.[/quote]

Hergé knew that it was ‘not done’ to insert any racist ideas in his books after the war, when all ‘right-wing’ ideas had become suspect. So in a sense Hergé acted ‘politically correct’, even though the term wasn’t used only several decades later (it was introduced in the US)

Like I said before: I don’t think it’s that important; he had certain ideas, other people had other ideas, hence came the discussion about Hergé being this, Hergé being that. He was an artist, not a thinker, and I don’t think he had a profound interest in politics, he picked up some ideas that were ‘in the air’. When you read the books with a political subtext, like ‘Ottokar’ or ‘Lotus’, you notice that his political notions were rather superficial. In other words: nothing to worry about.

I wish I hadn’t said a word about this. But then, I have …

Why?

I don’t mind discussing this.

Yes, they sure are! Can´t see a picture of Captain Haddock without hearing that voice in my head, haha! For some reason, when released on video in the 80s the animated series were re-dubbed with new, much more anonymous and standard, voices… so i´m happy i found the ones recorded off tv back in the day!
And I agree, there´s nothing wrong with this discussion about his political views, i think it´s pretty interesting, but maybe not very upsetting or surprising. I´d say a lot of artists and people in general held views like that at the first part of the century, but kept quiet (or simply realised the stupidity of it all) after the war.

Just been reading an Australian Empire magazine with an interview with Peter Jackson and Spielberg re the upcoming Tin Tin films. (apparently there will be two)

The first will be based on The Secret of the Unicorn with a bit of The Crab With the Golden Claws thrown in to show the meeting of Tin Tin and Captain Haddock. Then the second will complete the Unicorn story and move into Red Rackham’s Treasure. All done in motion-capture and with a ‘film noir’ kind of look.

[quote=“Phil H, post:26, topic:1831”]Just been reading an Australian Empire magazine with an interview with Peter Jackson and Spielberg re the upcoming Tin Tin films. (apparently there will be two)

The first will be based on The Secret of the Unicorn with a bit of The Crab With the Golden Claws thrown in to show the meeting of Tin Tin and Captain Haddock. Then the second will complete the Unicorn story and move into Red Rackham’s Treasure. All done in motion-capture and with a ‘film noir’ kind of look.[/quote]
I can’t wait to see, even if it will probably be nothing like Herge’s originals.

I presume they won’t speak French ?

Of course not. It seems to me that the movie will be aimed at the Americans.

Actually, I have the Soviet one and it’s quite easy to get hold of it here in Britain.