The Last Traitor / Thirteenth Is a Judas / Il tredicesimo è sempre Giuda (Giuseppe Vari, 1971)

Ask this guy :wink:

Wanted to like this one with the lovely print and some promising elements to the film, but fails to deliver. Just watched last night and I already barely remember anything about it, although watching on very low volume at 2am may not have been helpful. With a better story this could have been really good, a missed opportunity that is instead just mediocre

Grabbed this one from my unseen watch pile since i had not seen a spaghie for a while. Well, it wasn’t that good,…it turned out to be a very uninspired and boring whodunit with Donald O’Brien looking at times like he had a bad hangover and Maurice Poli who probably wished he was in something better than this turkey.
The only memorable scene for me was when O’Brien grabbed a woman;s breast in bed, that’s about it.

I should have watched 'Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion (1972) ’ like i wanted to.

And it is back!

This film’s page in the database has been updated to the new layout, please contribute to it.

Credits page has been created for Il Tredicesimo è sempre Giuda (Thirteenth Is A Judas)

2 Likes

English opening credits on YouTube –

3 Likes

I wonder if this is a TV print or from a VHS release. Does anyone know of a VHS release with English credits and audio?

The movie has grown on me over the years and I enjoy revisiting it every now and then. Vari undertakes to weave the tale in such a complex fashion that in order to stave off plotholes and inconsistencies, a considerable portion of the narration necessarily has to be dedicated to dialogues clarifying the underlying mystery and thus, the talky bits eventually come to preponderate over the rest of the storyline, occasionally causing tedium in the process. From that perspective, the flick is certainly overly ambitious and the end product does not feel all that well consolidated; had the narrative been slightly simplified with more heed given to overall atmosphere, this could have turned out legitimately solid. With that being said, there are some things here which definitely work, most notably the relationship between the characters played by Maurice Poli and Dino Strano. If you like your spaghetti cheap and sandpit-y, but you do not want to go quite Fidani and you are in quest of a slow burner of sorts, this one might just fit the bill. JD’s review is pretty much spot on, except that I would be a tad more positive about it.

I think I have a Brazilian VHS tape with English audio/credits.

1 Like

can you take a good picture of the cover of that VHS for the SWDb listing?

Would love to see a picture of that one.

This is the Norwegian VHS tape. It has English audio aswell.

2 Likes