They Call Me Hallelujah / Testa t’ammazzo, croce … sei morto. Mi chiamano Alleluja (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1971)

Watched this again last night and enjoyed it a good amount. Super effective at using ridiculous comedy, with particularly well done action-slapstick that is timed perfectly. I was particularly struck by how well it was done after having just watched Return of Sabata earlier in the day which was a complete failure in these aspects. Hallelujah begins to go a bit downhill towards the last 30 minutes, but its still a much better movie than most of the slapstick comedy nonsense in this genre, managing to ride the line between still being a violent spaghetti and silly comedy

Agreed. Not usually a fan of the comedies for the most part but this is one of the better ones

1 Like

I think it is not really a comedy, at least not completely. Unlike the sequel and the 2 Tresette films, which are pure comedies, and similar to Carnimeo’s previous films it features a mix of action and comedy, and there are still plenty of killings. A border film for sure, but somehow GBU or The Mercenary also feature comedy elements. In this one here Carnimeo finds a good balance.

1 Like

I have to consider it a comedy because there are just way too many absurdly silly scenes to consider it otherwise, and a pervading tone of sillyness not found in films like GBU or Mercenary which also have comedic elements but do not even approach this level of silly. The adding of the laxative to the henchmen’s food for example and the following scene, the scene before as well with the monks hitting each other, and many more scenes like this. But I agree it still contains a fairly high level of shooting and killing, and still has a more serious tone than other comedies

1 Like

Whatever it is, it’s one one of the more enjoyable of the parodistic spaghs, in fact I like it almost as much as the Trinities. And the opening scene is marvellous.

1 Like

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been updated to the new layout. Please report any errors or let us know if you can contribute additions.

This one now has a poll on the original post at the top :arrow_up:

1 Like