The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah, 1969)

Probably my fave american western. I love the action scenes , as well as the way Peckinpah portrays the end of the old west in this one [and i hated the way he tried to do that in Pat Garret and Billy the Kid]. Masterpiece

“The Walk” is one of the greatest scene I ever saw in a Movie. My other favourite in The Wild Bunch is after killing the Bandit Chief, suddenly silence. What a great idea!

Peckinpah was a Genius of direction, very sad that he died so early.

Brilliant. My second favourite western after OUATITW. Just perfect.

"Let’s go."
And they go and do what they have to do.

The Walk is damned great! And the massacre, too.

And the train robbery… the departing from the village…

In fact, all scenes are great. Hail Sam!

I love PG&BtK, too.

I am NOT a “fan” of Peckinpah Films except for MAJOR DUNDEE 1965.

The WILD BUNCH is a good bloody potboiler with nice turns from Bill Holden/Robert Ryan.
Not keen at all on Warren Oates, Edmond O’Brien and the SERIOUS FILM DEFICIENCY:

There is NO LEADING LADY AT ALL ??? :’( and instead we have Ernest Borgnine ??? :-\ :’(

Similarly Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid 73, Alfredo Garcia 74 as I discussed are TOO LONG,
badly casted (Bob Dylan, Oates, Kristofferson, Coburn) :’( Pat Garrett has bad direction
with terrible sound recording and there was nothing to keep me viewing /wanting more

I dont know where Peckinpah got his casts from but they were NOT to my liking at all ???

Like the Mexican Girls in “The Wild bunch”. But maybe because there is no Leading Lady there is so much Blood.

Paco we HOT BLOODED Meditterraneans :o need Beautiful/Sexy Actresses in films to
enrich/decorate/elevate the movies :wink:
The same problem occurred in FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX 1965, all men stuck in desert and
NO GIRLS anywhere, lasted over 2 hours too :smiley:
I like Peckinpah’s violence/ blood letting but my problem is with his direction and casts :cry:

I liked Peckinpah’s STRAW DOGS 1971, DEADLY COMPANIONS 1961 /TV Series Work 50s
but I have to be critical of Wild Bunch 69, Pat Garrett 73, Alfredo Garcia 74, Ride HC 62 :cry:

As I said overall WILD BUNCH 69 is a good, violent, enjoyable Film but NO GIRLS :smiley:

SD says how it is!

A new dimension of movie criticism!

Similarly Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid 73, Alfredo Garcia 74 as I discussed are TOO LONG, badly casted (Bob Dylan, Oates, Kristofferson, Coburn) :'( Pat Garrett has bad direction with terrible sound recording and there was nothing to keep me viewing /wanting more

Ha ha, with SDs preference of zero talent directors in mind, this is a great commend.

I dont know where Peckinpah got his casts from but they were NOT to my liking at all ???

Thank god, he didn’t get them from SDs wood list.

[quote=“stanton, post:27, topic:358”]SD says how it is!
A new dimension of movie criticism![/quote]

It would be a new dimension if you ever RESPECTED and REVIEWED SWs Correctly
instead of complaining that you have seen too many SWs and many are “mediocre”.
What is that ??? Each SW needs to be fully respected, discussed and reviewed :cry:

Sd's preference of zero talent directors
NICHT ACHTUNG !! The ZERO TALENT Mediocre, wooden Directors are those I correctly KEPT OUT of the BEST DIRECTORS Poll after you spent hours trying to doctor the poll :-\
Thank god, he didn't get them from SDs wood list.
MORE LIKELY from Stanton's WILLOW WOODEN LIST that include Subtitled Drama Art House nonsense, ultra recent DATED non films, weird foreign drama & then he tells us :

“so many mediocre SWs with mediocre Directors” as if seeing SWs is a SUFFERING ???

I think this being a SW FORUM the sensible, balanced , rational OPINION is that the

DULL DATED Dramas/Subtitled/NON “art” obscure Film is MEDIOCRE 100% ??? NOT SWs

My Comments on Certain Peckinpah Films Like Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett, Garcia are fair,
accurate and factual. I still like Wild Bunch 69 but it has shortcomings as I explained.

Straw Dogs 1971 was well made/directed.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:28, topic:358”]It would be a new dimension if you ever RESPECTED and REVIEWED SWs Correctly
instead of complaining that you have seen too many SWs and many are “mediocre”.
What is that ??? Each SW needs to be fully respected, discussed and reviewed :'([/quote]

Oh, I respect , but only if imo respect is deserved, but I also differentiate.

“Reviewed correctly” (means SDs view) is typical McCloudish.

NICHT ACHTUNG !! The ZERO TALENT Mediocre, wooden Directors are those I correctly KEPT OUT of the BEST DIRECTORS Poll after you spent hours trying to doctor the poll :-\

Ha, ha, but nearly all are in.

MORE LIKELY from Stanton's WILLOW WOODEN LIST that include Subtitled Drama Art House nonsense, ultra recent DATED non films, weird foreign drama & then he tells us :

“so many mediocre SWs with mediocre Directors” as if seeing SWs is a SUFFERING ???

I think this being a SW FORUM the sensible, balanced , rational OPINION is that the

DULL DATED Dramas/Subtitled/NON “art” obscure Film is MEDIOCRE 100% ??? NOT SWs

My Comments on Certain Peckinpah Films Like Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett, Garcia are fair,
accurate and factual. I still like Wild Bunch 69 but it has shortcomings as I explained.

giggle

Mediocre and bad films are boring and sometimes watching bad films is a form of suffering.

Denying that many Spags are only mediocre or even bad is like …, well, perhaps the earth is flat.

Straw Dogs 1971 was well made/directed.

Shit, you know how to hurt me

WILD BUNCH 1969 Good Violent Western NO LEADING LADIES But Here is :

ERNEST BORGNINE Especially For Stanton :wink:

Ernest Borgnine is a GOD! :wink: I llike his laugh and the way he kills people. Not to mention his relationship with Pike and Angel. He’s a dirty SOB and killer but a real warrior and a man who knows his duty.

Leading lady? Why would we need leading lady in a movie about MEN and friendship? Love would destroy this movie. The Mexican whores are just enough - nice but not too important.

But man, PG&BtK isn’t badly casted! Okay, there are some people who don’t like Kris (I like him in this conception), but James Coburn is Garrett incarnate…

Kristofferson interpretes Billy in a very special way, not to everyones tastes. I love especially the fatalistic / melancholic smile on his face, with which he reacts to all the circumstances, including his death.

A perfect contrast to Garrett who has a similar smile at the beginning of the movie, but get’s gloomier the more the film develops, expressing the ongoing bitterness of his inside death.

And with all these amount of great stalwart western faces around, it’s a joke to call the film badly cast.

SD you missed the point with the leading lady. With that mentality you don’t like For A Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, Death Rides A Horse… shall I continue?

And you should check out other Peckinpah films ie Iron Cross is a classic war movie that only Peckinpah could have directed… Coburn, Schell, Mason, and Warner - great cast plus great war action.

FACE IT : WIld Bunch 1969 is a PILE OF BORING CRAP as Radish (drugs ?) said

WHY is Wild Bunch 1969 BORING CRAPPY I tell you :

1. It has a cast of MEN only and very UNATTRACTIVE Borgnine pffff, Holden ufffff no lady

2. It is extremely LONG and tedious 2hour plus of watching Borgnine come on pfffff

3. The plot is extremely thin. NO MYSTERY, NO REVENGE, NO SUSPENSE, quite dull.

4. This Peckinpah is a director full of holes ??? He picks bad/slow casts, no women urgh

Wild Bunch 1969 is just tolerable and I have it at about number 340 in my Western List

I LOVE Good bad Ugly 66, Fustful Of $, Death Rides Horse 1968 and Max. Schell/Mason

but SORRY Peckinpah is one of the slowest most tedious directors but Straw Dogs OK

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:34, topic:358”]FACE IT : WIld Bunch 1969 is a PILE OF BORING CRAP as Radish (drugs ?) said
WHY is Wild Bunch 1969 BORING CRAPPY I tell you :

1. It has a cast of MEN only and very UNATTRACTIVE Borgnine pffff, Holden ufffff no lady
  2. It is extremely LONG and tedious 2hour plus of watching Borgnine come on pfffff
  3. The plot is extremely thin. NO MYSTERY, NO REVENGE, NO SUSPENSE, quite dull.
  4. This Peckinpah is a director full of holes ??? He picks bad/slow casts, no women urgh
    Wild Bunch 1969 is just tolerable and I have it at about number 340 in my Western List

I LOVE Good bad Ugly 66, Fustful Of $, Death Rides Horse 1968 and Max. Schell/Mason
but SORRY Peckinpah is one of the slowest most tedious directors but Straw Dogs OK[/quote]

You are a real bully SD. You completely missed my point about the leading ladies as I listed three movies with ZERO.
And seriously if you are afraid of an all male cast sounds like you have some serious issues. I also won’t bother ever recommending movies from Shaw Brothers to you as you’ll miss the point on them as well. We all have opinions but you seem to cram your’s down everyone’s throat. Stop being the SWDB goon.

Wild Bunch is great! :slight_smile:

It is as I said “great” except for the Wild Bunch 69 FAULTS I listed.

Apart from those FAULTS its all cool :o

[quote=“FrankTalby, post:35, topic:358”]You are a real bully SD. You completely missed my point about the leading ladies as I listed three movies with ZERO.
And seriously if you are afraid of an all male cast sounds like you have some serious issues. I also won’t bother ever recommending movies from Shaw Brothers to you as you’ll miss the point on them as well. We all have opinions but you seem to cram your’s down everyone’s throat. Stop being the SWDB goon.[/quote]

Frank Speaking of ALL Male boys only :wink: I warned you about Bill San Antonio & Bad Lt

they are both :-* :-* :-* as I said earlier so NEVER bend over to pick anything up !! ;D

I saw your point about films with no ladies but when you add that to a rather aged
rugged cast no handsome leading men and over 2 hours long see what I mean ???

Mmmm… who hates Borgnine, must be a fan of that…
I like slash, I like westerns, but I couldn’t see that thing. The boys just weren’t sexy! Worse than a Frodo/Sam fanfic. :o

Well, for PG&BtK: I’ll search its topic…

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:5, topic:358”]I think “The wild bunch” is an excellent film but i do find it a little overrated.
True, the opening and ending battles are superb with their over the top violence but inbetween i don’t think that much was going on and found it a little slow.

For me Peckinpah’s best film is “Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia”, Warren Oates performance in it is awesome![/quote] It is so sad that you have totally and utterly missed the point of this film… unlike you, sam peckinpah does not believe that violence is a thing to glory in …he has seen it first hand and is thoroughly disgusted by it…
the part of the wild bunch that you find a bit slow, is the part that powerfully reveals that all of the characters are trapped in a mad process that they would be much better off if they were not… it examines the corrupting nature of glorifying war and greed, and then the end is spectacular …not just because everyone gets killed but most importantly because everyone dies in such a futile way but at least in an attempt to overthrough this futility and those people who perpetuate it.
The film starts with greed being the only thing that holds the gang together and nearly splits them apart…but slowly allows them to bond by realising higher values that it might be worth sacrificing themselves for…