The Stranger in Japan / The Silent Stranger / Lo straniero di silenzio (Luigi Vanzi, 1975)

Gave The Silent Stranger my first viewing, expecting quite a bit from it.

While it was enjoyable, and well worth tracking down, I was a tad let down. Somewhat slow moving for the first hour, and the non-gun involving action is nothing too interesting too look at, while the action sequences involving guns seemed lacking to me. It seemed like there’s some cut footage from the action. Was also not digging the big rifle gun… I realize this is a silly complaint, but it just wasn’t working for me. Things pick up toward the last segment, in standard Stranger fashion and at last, people are being shot (with a real gun)

This one rates highly on the talking points, quirk factor, and general novelty… however I can’t honestly say I enjoyed it nearly as much as I hoped to. Perhaps an uncut release would cure some of this.

Version viewed was the German release

This was one of the absolute worst movies (regardless of genre) I had ever seen. I can’t imagine 15 minutes making an improvement on anything in this dismal picture. Major regret on spending the $25 for this mess.

What’s so bad about it? i have not seen this one myself yet, but i think it looks like a good sw.

Tony Anthony compensate that (if you like him) :smiley:
The movie cant keep abreast of the other two stranger movies,of course.
After all i enjoy it and especially the stoic sound,wich exist in all stranger movies

1 Like

I seriously doubt I will ever watch it again, although if it proves true that there was footage cut from the picture, I may give it another look. Here are some comments I had about it on the Leone board…

Just finished watching this. Thought this was one of the worst, most brutally awful westerns I’ve ever seen. The movie seemed rushed with scenes beginning and ending abruptly at a near constant rate. That may account for all the narration from Anthony. It started off fine but rapidly went downhill from there. The Japanese run around yelling “Kill!” for much of the running time and the “sword fights” do the film no favors and are laughable compared with Samurai films made 10 years prior. I liked Anthony’s first two ‘Stranger’ movies much better. The dispute that resulted in the films belated release may have been because of how terrible this flick really is. The music is pretty bad too save for the main theme, which itself is derivative. Heard lots better from Cipriani. The film bears a copyright notice of 1974 and should have stayed shelved for that matter, IMO.

For me all 3 Stranger films are very close in terms of quality. I cannot see a great difference between them, but would prefer the 2 precedessors for a tiny bit.

Get Mean is then the awful follow up.

Btw, what’s your name on the Leone board?

Arizona Colt.

I am a huge fan of Asian cinema so the way in which the Japanese portion of the film was handled was terrible, IMO. I found the first two films, especially THE STRANGER RETURNS, to be superior to this. I have the others as well but haven’t gotten around to watching them. Not sure on the quality of the other two Anthony films as I haven’t checked them out yet. BLINDMAN is the best movie he ever did in my estimation.

Ahh, I see.
Of course, if you like asian cinema, then it’s possibly a great difference.

Yes, Blindman is the best. That’s for sure.

The other 2 Baldi/Anthony collaborations are more or less forgetable.

I saw a widescreen clip of one of the others, GET MEAN I think it was, and it was pretty bad. I don’t think the one I have for it is wide, though. Anthony also did another really bad movie in the early 80’s called TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS.

[quote=“Angel Face, post:27, topic:1148”]Arizona Colt.

BLINDMAN is the best movie he ever did in my estimation.[/quote]

The same here 8)

I agree with you Angelface, I loved the first two stranger films, pure classics in my opinion, especially the second one. Stranger in Japan AKA “Shrecken Kung fu etc…” LOL was decent but I’m not really into samurai movies so the Japanese setting didn’t quite do it for me. Get mean was hilariously entertaining but didn’t make any sense at all and was a bad movie period. I haven’t seen Comin at ya yet. Is that any good?

I like Tony Anthony alot. Curiously, I didn’t really like Blindman, a bit too wierd for me. I prefer my SW"s somewhat conventional.

I’m with Angelface in that I love samurai movies and Stranger in Japan was completely laughable in comparison to the real stuff… it made it harder to enjoy watching, so if you’re not into them- that should be working in your favor :wink:

I’ve had Comin At Ya for years but have not watched, because I have the Rhino 3D dvd, and no 3d glasses… not too keen on watching a red&blue movie that’s not suppose to be that great in the first place

Lots of people hate Comin’ at ya! but i have to admit i like it. I would love to see non-3D version of it

I prefer the film this way.

You mean with or without the effects?

Without the effects.

Where did you get that version?

From a friend who has an ex rental VHS version.

As you probably know, Anthony based BLINDMAN off the hugely popular ZATOICHI series of films in Japan. Which is one of the reasons I like the film so much. ;D A lot of cross pollination was going on between Europe and Japan. The ultra violent Japanese tv show MUTE SAMURAI was clearly inspired by THE GREAT SILENCE even retaining the downbeat nature of the film.

I haven’t watched either GET MEAN or COMIN’ AT YA! yet.

1 Like

Interesting bits there. I love what Zatoichi I’ve seen and was not aware of that. I’m still pretty new to the genre of samurai films, will definitely have to check out Mute Samurai- have not heard of this and the connection with TGS sounds quite appealing