The Stranger in Japan / The Silent Stranger / Lo straniero di silenzio (Luigi Vanzi, 1975)

Thatā€™s a dedicated effort mate. Hope you get a result.

Great movie, originally I watched back in the 70ā€™s and again this year and still has the magic of a great spaghetti western

Thanks man, I hope I do too. Iā€™d like to add, if you or anyone else has any information or could possible help in any way Iā€™d be deeply indebted.

Most sources claim that Raf Baldassarre is in the film, but I couldnā€™t detect him. Does he play a Japanese character? In any case, he is not one of the three bandits at the beginning of the film.

I think his scene was cut out of the film.

Yes, most likely. Or did we both miss him?

He is nicknamed in the movie as White-eye, but I have no idea what to make of that.

1 Like

Neither have I. If Iā€™m not mistaken, there are only five white/Caucasian/non-Japanese characters in the entire film: the three cutthroats at the beginning, ā€œthe Americanā€ played by Lloyd Battista, and Anthonyā€™s Stranger. Neither the German nor the English opening and closing credits mention any other actors besides those two and the Japanese cast.

The first one of the three bandits could be Gaetano Scala.

There is a second extensive thread on Lo straniero di silenzio, where @Squonkamatic wrote years ago, ā€œTony Anthony [ā€¦] even managed to find a little part for Raf Balda[s]sarre.ā€ I also wonder what the source is for the information that Raf Baldassarreā€™s character is called White-Eye. Help! Who knows more about this? Maybe @Carlos and @JonathanCorbett?

Yes, thereā€™s not much room for him to appear after the Klondike scene.

Scala for sure, not sure about the other two, although Bandit 2 reminds of Mario Dionisi, but no Raf.

1 Like

Some fresh thoughts on the flick by @pkazee

Stranger in Japan has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etcā€¦

1 Like

I watched this movie and I loved it. A new entry in my Top 20! Tony Anthony is great. Some parts are cheesy (like the narration), but it gives the movie charm I think. The movie is never boring, the characters are great and some shots are really cool. Like the shots in the rain, the long bridge and Anthony hanging on a cross. Also the humor is not misplaced. The language problem was well done. Like Anthony, I also could not understand the Japanese.

I read that the film lay on a shelf for 7 years and then was cut and re-edited. And that Anthony was not happy with the result. That made me really curious about the original movie. Maybe even better then this one. But I guess we will never see it.

1 Like

I now see the post of VanEyck about trying to find the original tapes. Hopefully it will show up. Any news?

Interesting, title alone makes this seem like the type of movie I would ordinarily completely write off, but the fact that you and a few other people above are praising it so much makes me want to check it out.

1 Like

Funnily enough Iā€™ve just watched The Stranger Returns for the first time and Iā€™m thinking of watching this one soon. Not sure what Iā€™ll think of it but Iā€™ll give it a go.

1 Like

Give your rating for The Silent Stranger. New poll is open for this one on the original post at the top of the page. :arrow_up: :+1: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I read conflicting info: it was produced in 1968 but hey do we list it under 1969? Also, should we not list it by year of first release, which is 1975 or 1974? We need some more reliable info :))

If the film was indeed an Italian-American-Japanese co-production, it should be catalogued by both ANICA and the American Film Institute. But thatā€™s not the case. So we donā€™t have a single reliable source and have to rely on the information provided by IMBb. The German release date given by German Wikipedia seems correct.

1 Like

By the way, there is a second thread:

Perhaps they should be merged.

1 Like