THE STRANGER IN JAPAN aka THE SILENT STRANGER (1968) Luigi Vanzi

There’s an insert at the beginning which says “The Klondike, 1884”.

It’s in both, the TNT TV version and in the german version I have.

There’s also the MGM logo in both announcing “beginning the next 50 years”, by which a release in 74 could be assumed.

I don’t think that there’s necessarily something missing in the Klondike sequence. It doesn’t make a cut impression to me. It’s an introduction which tells us concisely all we need to know.

Get Mean begins even more mysterious with Anthony dragged behind a horse for the whole credit sequence until both arrive in a ghost town where the actual story starts. This is also not explained (neither how he has managed it to survive this without greater injuries, Hahaha).

When Vanzi/Anthony’s Stranger films are the closest variations of the fistful formula, then The Silent Stranger also manages to bring the initial SW motiv back to it’s roots, back to Kurosawa land. Yojimbo is omnipresent in this movie (the rainy action scenes reminded me also very much of The Seven Samurai)

All 3 Stranger films are very close qualitylike, and Tony Anthony brings his own unique style and humour to the genre, which makes his character so special.
But all 3 are topped by Blindman, which became his greatest achievement.

After the good, the bad and the ugly this is by far my favorite SW. Saw it when was a kid. Later when started to get into exploitation movies world remembered it, some scenes (Battista’s machine gun, Geysha’s sauna, the scroll). fortunately Got a copy from MGM (South America) and watched it about 20 times. Just love it and its soundtrack. And I don’t care what they say, Anthony is my favorite SW anti-hero (or anti anti-hero).-

Hi Rojo, we were talking the other day about Carlos Monzon, the great Argentine boxer

It’s in one of the “I just bought” threads;
Bad Lieutenant had bought an old VHS of EL MACHO
I kenw Monzon very well, most people here did, but never knew he’d made a western

Thought you’d want to know

A friend of mine had access to the United Artists press book for the American release of the film (as ‘The Silent Stranger’) a while back and he informed me that the press book was copyrighted 1975, suggesting a 1975 release for the film in America at least.

I thought everyone would find this entertaining:

The trailer is at least in widescreen! I’ve got to get a copy of this - I love SW and samurai flicks!

Looks nice in widescreen :).

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:23, topic:952”]Bad Lieutenant had bought an old VHS of EL MACHO
I kenw Monzon very well, most people here did, but never knew he’d made a western

Thought you’d want to know[/quote]

Yes, he was very well know in his boxer time. And a very good one. As I said he was friend of Alain Delon as he was very popular in Europe…

Just watched and pretty much enjoyed this one. It’s just a typical TA style odd movie, so nothing great but really interesting stuff. Far better than Comin’ at ya! or Get mean(which is a case for itself) !!!

Yes speaking of Monzon, Nino Benvenuti, another boxing great also made an italian western with giuliano Gemma.

Also Marvin Hagler moved to Italy after he retired from boxing and made a few cop movies.

Video Review

Mr. Anthony informed me recently that the “The silent stranger” region 2 dvd is cut by almost 15 minutes.
It is NOT an official release regardless what the box says.
The film is still in “movie rights limbo”. Mr. Anthony is trying to correct that asap.

Great Movie even the DVD seems to be cut. :o Would be fun to know what the Japanese are saying. For a short moment the movie reminded me on Lost in Translation.