The Shootist (Siegel/76)

It’s not that bloody, it’s more of someone shooting someone and you hear the gunshot and the guy who has been shot falling to the ground, but there’s not actually much blood.

What a shame :wink:

Are you sure?

I remember squibs with more blood then in any other Wayne film.

Big Jake had a lot of squiby goodness.

I suppose for a Wayne film it is, but compared to other westerns that were coming out in the seventies, it’s pretty mild.

All I remember is Wayneshooting a guy inthe head when he tried to bushwhack him in the house at night.

But as it was dark, you didn’t see any blood.

I did

Hmm, I think I have to rewatch it, just to check the blood factor.

Me too. Never seen it all the way through.

Where was that, at the climatic shootout?

When two gunmen were trying to sneak into Wayne’s room and kill him

This movie is the sole reason I have any interest in John Wayne. It is the only Wayne movie I can find that is not campy and horribly dated (though I do enjoy The Searchers). It’s a fitting end to a wonderful career, portraying a dying man played by a dying man.
Somehow John Wayne gets under my skin. Maybe I prefer the more realistic, gritty westerns from the 1960s onwards, but many of the earlier westerns just seem too wholesome and corny for me.

I found it boring to be honest, I only really watched it because it’s Don Siegel, i’m not really a lover of John Wayne films, i did try, i watched five or six and found them boring.

I’m not a huge fan of Wayne either. Some of his John Ford movies are okay and I really enjoyed The Shootist, but other than that, he doesn’t impress me much.