The September 2016 30-Day Movie Challenge

I don’t like the part with the stolen surfboard, and the second scene with the playboy bunnies runs too long. There is some slapstick-like humour in both scenes which doesn’t fit with the film, and besides Willard shouldn’t laugh. :wink:

The plantation scene runs also too long, contains too much dialogue about political and historical stuff, but I love some aspects of it, especially the dreamlike atmosphere. I would keep it, but cut it down drastically. The arrival in the fog, the funeral, a bit of the table conversation, Willard gets laid, then the fade into the white and back in the fog on the ship, so that it all was most likely only a dream.

Michael Rennie was ill the day the Earth stood still, but he told us where we stand.
And Flash Gordon was there in silver underwear, Claude Raines was the invisible man.
Then something went wrong for Fay Wray and King Kong, they got caught in a celluloid jam.
Then at a deadly pace it came from outer space, and this is how the message ran:

Science Fiction, Double Feature! Dr. X will build a creature!
See androids fighting, Brad and Janet; Ann Francis stars in Forbidden Planet,
Wah-hah-hah-oh, oo-oh, at the late-night double-feature picture show.

DAY 19: ALL-TIME MOST HATED

So, if you’ve ever been sat there, driven by the mindbending horrors of the movie in front of you to a point approaching catatonia, feeling the IQ points falling out of your ears and thinking to yourself, “This is the worst f#cking film I have ever seen in my life,” then that movie is a contender for today. Simples.

27 Dresses (Fletcher, 2008), Coyote Ugly (McNally, 2000), The Fault in Our Stars (Boone, 2014), Apache Blood (Piehl, 1975), Mamma Mia! (Lloyd, 2008), The Other Woman (Cassavetes, 2014), any f#cking Transformers movie Antichrist Bay has ever shat out… all fine contenders for me. But, as f#ckawful as that lot is, this was an easy pick for me today. The film I detest above all others was, is, and will possibly always be The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Sharman, 1975).

The thing is, most of the ingredients should work for me: Susan Sarandon? Barry Bostwick? Meat Loaf? Rampant transvestitism? Tim Curry in slutty lingerie, f#cking anything that moves? That all sounds terrific! I can’t stand musicals, no, but as a fan of The Misfits I should respond well to fifties-inspired rock’n’roll/doo-wop hybrids choc-full of b-movie-referencing lyrics, shouldn’t I? Well, I don’t know what the problem is then, but The f#cking Time Warp sets my teeth on edge and makes me want to murder everybody within my immediate reach, as does the entire rest of this movie, tbh. Maybe it’s subliminal.

Anyway, up against my sweet transvestites from transexual Transylvania in today’s dice throw go Jurassic Park (Spielberg, 1993) from my wife and The Fault in Our Stars (Boone, 2014) from my son and, I’ve got to tell you, I really, REALLY want my wife to win this one.

EDIT Oh thank Jesus! Wifey wins! What’s so bloody wrong with Jurassic Park anyway?

Okay, but too much Spielberg and not scary enough. I prefer The Fault in Our Stars (now that’s scary!)

DAY 20: “WTF?!”- CHALLENGING CINEMA

Mind-f*cks. Noodle-scratchers. “Challenging” cinema. Whether it be from a sledgehammer ending, a nigh-impenetrable symbolism-heavy narrative, a sojourn into the subconscious, an unsettling atmosphere, a fat dollop of hard science fiction, distressing content or just plain old weird, today’s movie needs to be one which, to at least some degree, had you involuntarily reaching for your non-existent beatnik goatee for an imaginary chinstroke, quietly demanding slightly more contemplation than the usual “Suicide Squad? More like POO-icide Squad if you ask me!

My pick today is one of my favourite films of all time: The quite astonishing Mulholland Drive (Lynch, 2001), a masterpiece I could watch again and again; just mentioning it makes me want to stick it on at the earliest opportunity. And although it certainly forces the viewer to employ a sizeable chunk of grey matter, it’s also plenty accessible to anyone who’s prepared to pay the movie no more or less than the attention it deserves. Now, you will see me one more time, if you do good. You will see me two more times, if you do bad.

Up against Betty, Rita and co in the dice throw today go the harrowing-yet-fascinating real-time raw-footage 9/11 doc 102 Minutes That Changed America (Rittenmeyer/Skundrick, 2008) from my wife and the excellent Sam Rockwell-centric sci-fi clone-em-up Moon (Jones, 2009) from my boy, which we’ll be watching in the first instance even if Mulholland Drive does win, since we’ll have to save Naomi Watts and her angry twat-smacking hi-jinks for past his bedtime. Silencio!

EDIT YES! This is the girl! Best result all round as it affords me the excuse to watch Moon now and Mulholland Drive later. I bloody love the retro/future graphics and signage throughout Moon; love that score by Clint Mansell, too. Proper “Moon” music.

DAY 21: FAVOURITE SCI-FI

Pretty much what it says on the tin, this one, although today’s pick needn’t strictly be the sort of “hard” science fiction favoured by genre purists; it need just contain a sci-fi element. My choice today is anime godfather Akira (Otomo, 1988), in which Kaneda, a charismatic young bike gang leader, attempts to simultaneously defeat and save his best friend Tetsuo, whose rapidly-developing psychic powers threaten to overrun Tetsuo and destroy all of Neo-Tokyo, a city built on the ruins of Tokyo which was destroyed previously by another psychic:The mysterious Akira. It’s a movie which, in truth, mightn’t hold up anymore against more recent fare but which holds a special place for anime fans everywhere being, for many, their first taste of the genre (it certainly was mine).

We’ve already thrown the dice and, of course, Tetsuo proved far too powerful for his foes, which today were my wife’s Bicentennial Man (Columbus, 1999) and my son’s Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015). Hah! You don’t like what you’re hearing, do ya? Makes you angry? So what are you gonna do now? Well, Kaneda? WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO NOW?

Den: Ange?
Angie: What? You talking to me?
Den: Can I have a word?
(walks out to hallway)
Angie: Oh excuse me girls, his master’s voice!
(follows Den out to hallway)
Den: How d’you feel?
Angie: How do I feel? I’m bushed! It’s been hell of a day, innit? And I ain’t very strong, am I?
(kisses Den)
Thanks for the best Christmas ever, Den.
Den: Our last one.
Angie: You don’t regret staying with me, do you? I don’t wanna get morbid, today of all days. But it scares me; I don’t think I could keep up this performance twenty-four hours a day.
Den: Oh, you could keep this performance up for a lifetime.
Angie:…?
Den: Back on the Orient Express? Back in the bar? Chatting up the barman? “Ooh, I’ve told my husband this terrible lie… not a little white one; but a big, black one…” Remember, Ange? Because I do. Because I was sitting four feet away from you, lapping up every word. Six little months to live, Six tragic little months, and poor old Ange is going to pop off… that, has got to be the sickest joke that you’ve ever played. And Den Watts fell for it. Well now, the joke’s on you.
(pulls envelope from his jacket pocket)
This, my sweet, is a letter from my solicitor, telling you that your husband has filed a petition for divorce. It also tells you to get yourself a solicitor pretty damn quick. Happy Christmas, Ange!

DUF, DUF, DUF, DUF DUF DUH-DUH-DUH-DUH!

DAY 22: FAVOURITE DRAMA

We all love a bit of drama, don’t we? The interpersonal exchanges 'twixt characters we’ve come to care about,and the consequences thereof. I found myself a little spoilt for choice today but, in the end, I was always going to go for Magnolia (Anderson, 1999), the wonderful and tear-jerking ensemble of interconnected characters and stories focussing on love, regret, and raining frogs. Like Mulholland Drive a couple of days ago, this is right up there amongst my four or five favourite movies of all time. Tbh I last watched it only a week or so before the challenge started but I’d be more than happy to watch it again today.

Up against Tom Cruise and friends in the dice throw today go Tyrannosaur (Considine, 2011) courtesy of my wife and Léon (Besson, 1994) from my son. So it’s all good, although both mine or the wife’s will have to wait until later tonight, should either win.

EDIT The wife won this one, so we’ll be settling down to Paddy Considine’s brutal portrayal of domestic violence later on. Not a movie for popcorn and nachos, this one.

I’m tired just of reading this thread

Well of course you are.! It’s like going to a fantastic swinging orgy sexfest and deciding at the last minute to wait in the car. You should be experiencing this thread, playing along. Just reading along… well, it’s like throwing out the PS4 and keeping the installation leaflet for a nice read :grin:

Anyway, I don’t think tonight’s movie is going to happen. Bloody visiting in-laws. Bloody real life.

1 Like

DAY 23: SCARIEST MOVIE

Well, we couldn’t get yesterday’s category picked and watched on its day,; the movie I’d earmarked as our Friday frightener was to have been Spanish zombie/outbreak pic [REC] (Balagueró/Plaza, 2007), a frantic found-footage piece in which the residents of an apartment block are quarantined at gunpoint into their building along with a couple of firemen called to an incident and a late-night TV presenter shadowing the fireman for an ongoing feature on people who work at night jobs, in order to stem the further spread of an astonishingly rapid and aggressive virus originating from the condo, which turns those exposed to the virus into zombie-like mindless animals. [REC] does precious little new or original, but everything it does, it does very well. admittedly it’s a movie you watch rather than a movie you think too much about so, even by a second viewing, it’s lost much of its ability to scare, as many found-footage horrors do, but the fact is that when I first saw [REC] in 2007 I must have hit the ceiling in fright on five or six separate occasions.

up against [REC] in the dice throw should’ve gone Kathryn Bigelow’s magnificent contemporary vampire western Near Dark (1987) from my son, and Westworld (Crichton, 1973) from my wife (her dad showed it to her when she was still just three or four years old and Yul Brynner scared her sh!tless and to such a degree she swerved westerns altogether until I moved in with her, lest another black-clad proto-Terminator strides into view, ordering his quarry to “Draw”.)

EDIT Fortunately, the wife won the throw so, since Westworld is not really a scary movie at all (though I’m sure Yul is to a fair proportion of pre-school toddlers), we’re hitting it right now, leaving us plenty of time to tackle today’s intended movie later on this afternoon and putting us right back on schedule

DAY 24: FAVOURITE ANIMATED

Ah. Today’s movie. And there was only ever one horse at this race for me: Gore Verbinski’s Rango (2011), the cartoon western starring Johnny Depp in the titular role, a chameleon pampered as a pet until the terrarium in which he lives is accidentally tipped from his owner’s car and he has to make his way to the arid “frontier” town of Dirt, where circumstances force Rango to stand up for the good folk of the town against a corrupt mayor and his terrifying henchmen. Rango was Industrial Light & Magic’s first stab at a fully animated movie and it picked up a thoroughly deserved Best Animated Feature Oscar in 2012. For me, any “kids” movie which makes open and extended references to Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (Gilliam, 1998) and which features “Clint Eastwood” (albeit played by Timothy Olyphant) in full “Dollars Trilogy” persona has to be doing something right.

Shooting it out with Rango in the dice throw today goes Cinderella (Geronimi/Luske/Jackson, 1950) from my wife and Monsters University (Scanlon, 2013) substituting for my son’s actual favourite animated movie, which he’s saving for “All-Time Favourite” Day in just under a week.

EDIT And the wife wins again! Oh bumholes, I’m going to be watching Cinderella with my afternoon? Bibbidy Bobbidy Bastard Boo? Load of auld spunkfling, this.

"He said how you was really William Munny out of Missouri… and Bill said “Same William Munny that dynamited the Rock Island and Pacific in ‘69 killin’ women and children an’ all?” And Ned says you done a lot worse than that, said you was more cold blooded than William Bonney or Clay Alisson or the James Brothers and how if he hurt Ned again you was gonna come an’ kill him like you killed a U.S. Marshall in '73."

DAY 25: FAVOURITE WESTERN (NON-SPAG)

Today, we’re settling down to a good old drop of yee-haa action, a shooty beauty, a horse opera, a gun-slinging bun-flinger. A western, yes (NOTE: On the SWDB, this would be a NON-Spag western today). And my bun-flinger of choice is Clint Eastwood’s stab at revising much of his own time in the saddle: Unforgiven (1992), in which William Munny, an old, once ruthlessly evil man, now widowed and struggling to raise two young’uns on a failing Kansas pig farm, is convinced by a braggadocious young gunslinger to ride out with him and collect a sizeable bounty on the heads of two young men in Wyoming, one of whom cut up a whore and whom the other whores believe didn’t receive appropriate justice.

However, the dice throw was won by my son,so instead of Unforgiven - or my wife’s pick, Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) - we are presently enjoying Rango (Verbinski, 2011), which suits me fine since that was my intended film for yesterday’s category (and I’m only going to watch Unforgiven straight afterwards anyway; once I’ve worked out how to break it to the wife first, of course).

DAY 26: BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

So, today’s movie needs to be one which you were really looking forward to for whatever reason, and then, when you finally got to see it… pfffft. Your hopes and expectations all fell as flat as a pancake, as the movie turned out to be a load of old bum-leavings.

About a million years ago, when I was a boy, I bought a comic each and every week called 2000AD. And I loved it. I mean, properly LOVED it. The flagship strip in this publication was - and still is - Judge Dredd. The titular lead character (his name, a play on that of novelty UK ska/reggae artist Judge Dread - who himself lifted the moniker from a Prince Buster tune) was a “Judge”, a one-tier law enforcement agent with the authority to arrest, charge, try and sentence perpetrators of crime on the spot - including issuing the death sentence, a sentence dealt out frequently - operating in the early 22nd century in Mega City One, a post-apocalyptic overpopulated dystopian conurbation stretching from Boston to Washington DC. A grim, violent piece, it nevertheless managed to mine some gallows humour from the ultra-right wing dispensing of justice, especially as doled out by our perpetually helmeted Dirty Harry-style anti-hero (of course, Harry Callaghan was constantly railing against the system. Not so Joe Dredd; he WAS the f*cking system).

There were many different colourful characters within the pages of 2000AD but Dredd was by far the favourite and was always the one most ripe for a possible movie adaptation somewhere down the line. And so it was that in 1994 promising British director Danny Cannon was attached to direct Judge Dredd - the next Sylvester Stallone movie. Anyway, the movie was released in 1995 and, despite our reservations about Sylvester Stallone, my 2000AD-loving friend and I queued up, got our tickets and sat eagerly awaiting the cinematic debut of one of our comic-strip heroes, a movie which, hopefully, would herald the arrival of other 2000AD strips to the big screen: The A.B.C. Warriors maybe, or Nemesis the Warlock, or my personal favourite, Strontium Dog. Now that Joe Dredd had made it to the big screen, the possibilities for the future were giddying.

Well, Judge Dredd was pretty-much a travesty, top-to-bottom. Cannon, it appeared, was simply hired to be Stallone’s bitch, and despite the thing looking the part (the art department deserve some props for that film, you know) Stallone seemed determined to kick any in-place mythology straight in the bin if he didn’t fancy it: Dredd never takes his helmet off, because the law is faceless, or something; Stallone takes his helmet off. Judges don’t have relations with one another; Dredd develops a love interest with comic strip regular Judge Hershey. Thuggish recurring anti-hero Fergee is reduced to comic relief, major MAJOR Dredd arch-enemies The Angel Gang are reduced to one-scene throwaways and a robot looking A LOT like Hammerstein from The A.B.C. Warriors is introduced for no good reason whatsoever. When the movie was over, my friend and I walked in silence for awhile, before he confessed to me that the only reason he didn’t walk out of the movie was out of courtesy to me, at which point I confessed that I didn’t walk out only out of courtesy to him. If only one of us had said, “This is sh!t, isn’t it?” twenty minutes or so into this debacle, we could’ve saved ourselves a good bit of cinematic heartbreak.

So that’s my nomination for today. Up against Sly and co in the dice throw go Return to Oz (Murch, 1985) from my wife and Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (Lucas, 1999) from my son, a movie which figures pretty f*cking high on the “disappointed” scale for me too.

EDIT Wife wins again although, in many ways, nobody won this one, and nobody was ever going to either with such an abhorrent trio of films. Still, Return to Oz it is. Not looking forward to this at all.

DAY 27: MOST PLEASANT SURPRISE

The mirror category to yesterday’s, your film today needs to be a movie which didn’t excite you at all leading up to its release, yet which pleased you no end.once you actually saw it. For me, that movie is Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014). I like the current glut of superhero pics - from Marvel and DC - but I wasn’t familiar at all with the Guardians, I thought that the raccoon presented on all of the preview material looked like a stupid character, and the tone - which appeared to be aiming at “comical” rather than just “light” - felt a step too far for me, too. However, once I saw it I felt that Guardians of the Galaxy was, alongside the far grittier Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo/Russo, 2014) from the same year, the best picture Marvel had yet produced.

My son has gone with me in nominating GotG in the dice throw today so it has a decent chance of being aired. Up against it goes my wife’s choice The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012), one of the weakest of the recent superhero pics imho but she’s got a bit of a thing for Tom Hardy in general and for his weird, muffled accent in TDKR specifically.

EDIT My son won the throw so we got to watch GotG. We are Groot!

DAY 28: REALLY SHOULD HAVE SEEN THIS BY NOW

Just what it says on the tin: Today’s movie should be one which you haven’t yet seen, but which you feel you really should’ve by now. My pick for today is Chinatown (Polanski, 1974), a movie I bought blind six weeks or so ago but which I decided to save specifically for this evening. Every time anyone ever mentions it I literally think to myself, “Hm, I really should’ve seen this by now,” so it’s a real no-brainer for today.

Up against Jack Nicholson in the dice throw today goes The Sound of Music (Wise, 1965) from my wife (1965? Wow, I always thought The Sound of Music was quite a bit older than that for some reason), and Alien (Scott, 1979) from my son. Even if I don’t win the throw, I’m watching Chinatown later on anyway. I’ve held on specifically for this evening and I’m not waiting any longer when the movie is sat there on my shelf.

EDIT My son wins, so Alien it is. Which kind-of puts the mockers on my choice for “All-Time Favourite” in a couple of days’ time. I’ll have to have a think now…

DAY 29: MOVIE WHICH BEST DESCRIBES ME

This has proven to be a fairly awkward category for many, probably since it’s potentially the most personal. Today’s movie needs to be one which, for your own reasons, resonated with you or related to you in a meaningful and personal way, on some level, in some context. One gentleman wondered if Babe (Noonan, 1995) should be his choice today since he loves bacon sandwiches, and yes, I think that would count.

My choice for today however is Fight Club (Fincher, 1999), a movie I felt was speaking directly to me. Well, maybe not the bits about beating myself up in pub car parks (although I have abused myself in the car on many a bored occasion, ahem), but Chuck Palahniuk’s message about letting everything go, about not letting the the things I own own me, came to me (via a close friend of mine) during my rather nasty first divorce - well, I hope my only divorce, but you know what I mean; the end of my first marriage - and it helped me realise that what I was regretting losing was not this relationship which had turned toxic but the things we’d hoarded which had obviously represented to us some manner of staus via stability, or something. As soon as I realised that I am not my retro space-styled sofa or my DeLonghi coffee maker or my underlit kitchen units, cutting myself free of that relationship was easy; pleasant, even. Many of the lines in Fight Club make me want to cheer aloud.

Up against Tyler Durden today goes Sleeping With the Enemy (Ruben, 1991) from my wife (her first husband was abusive; when I first met her she’d not long left a women’s refuge) and Finding Nemo (Stanton, 2003) from my son (we both relate to the father/son bond between Marlin and Nemo). Pretty heavy stuff for a f*cking movie viewing, eh? :slight_smile: Well, that’s the beauty of cinema, I guess. Reaches us in all sorts of ways from all sorts of places.

EDIT I won this one. I am Jack’s throbbing libido.

DAY 30: ALL-TIME FAVOURITE

Rounding off the 30-Day Movie Challenge is the best category: Your all-time favourite movie. Indulge! You’ve earned it! My favourite movie of all time is Ridley Scott’s Alien (1979), in which a plant-loving botanist from another planet is left on sh!tty old Earth by his Christmas tree decoration spaceship, and it’s up to a bunch of aggravating f#ckbums on BMXs to help him “Phooooone, hooooooome” on a proto-Blackberry made out of a Speak & Spell before the Feds arrest him for prodding children with his glowing finger. Or something.

We only watched Alien a couple of days ago thanks to my son winning the dice throw that day so, if I win today, we’re going to watch Repo Man (Cox, 1984), my favourite movie which wasn’t already watched at some point this month. Up against Alien / Repo Man in the dice throw today go The Notebook (Cassavetes, 2004) courtesy of my wife and the underrated Cars (Lasseter, 2006) courtesy of my son. Really hoping the wife doesn’t win this one, I love her but I really don’t want to sign off on my challenge with The f#cking Notebook.

1 Like

Done.

:slight_smile: