The Road to Fort Alamo / La strada per Fort Alamo (Mario Bava, 1964)

I liked the song. Found it very catchy.
But the film is in my opinion kind of weak. It follows the classic standards as many said, not my cup of tea.

This was a disappointment for me, I expected better from Bava but i guess i was wrong.
It’ a mess all around starting with the poor backgrounds landscape witch it look like it was shot in someone’s back yard, bad direction, bad acting, stupid looking indians and the worst fake cactuses that i’ve seen so far. 1/5

The western genre was not Bava’s best work.

@Posted by: ENNIOO
« on: Today at 09:12:00 PM »
The western genre was not Bava’s best work.

Yes Ennio, it’s very noticeable with this one. But I must admit, he did improve somewhat with SAVAGE GRINGO and ROY COLT e WINCHESTER JACK though! :wink:

I just finished watching the English dubbed version. I enjoyed this one quite a lot. It was a very good Italian take on the cavalry vs Indian westerns. The reason I think it worked is because the filmmakers had gone out of their way to make it resemble the American westerns of the 50s. Many of the later spaghetti westerns that involved Indians, e.g. Apache Kid/White Apache, failed badly because the directors tried to take them too seriously, which is impossible when you have white actors pretending to be red men. I do think that the script needed more development though. This one could have been a lot better. The beginning with the bank robbery and the betrayal was good. That’s what kept me watching. It gave me the impression that the story was going places. Towards the end, however, the film felt really rushed. It’s as if they just wanted to get the Indian attack and the cavalry charge over with. He leaves, steals a horse and then he’s back the next day with the cavalry in what seemed like less than a minute. There should have been more there. The sergeant just says something like, “let’s hope he got away” when the Indians were trying to prevent him from getting to the fort. The action in that scene wasn’t very well directed. The audience wasn’t allowed to wait in anticipation for the cavalry to arrive. Everything just went so fast. In my opinion, the best cavalry vs Indian western to use traditional cliches is Duel at Diablo (1966). There’s some great tension towards the end of the film before the cavalry arrive to save the day. That’s what this film lacked.

If a Eurowestern has Indians, they’re usually only believable when the Indians are Apaches. Shalako worked really well, for example. No silly headdresses with different coloured feathers!

This movie’s database entry has been updated to the new layout. Please report any errors and corrections. We also welcome missing information, trivia, facts, links, reviews and better pictures.

Seems Malombra ran into some color issues with the restoration and it will be some more delay… fingers crossed (source: their facebook)

1 Like

Has anyone seen the Malombra blu ray? How is the quality? And good English subtitles?

Still waiting for mine, so do others.
Who else is waiting for their order to ship/arrive?