The Region Free Blu-ray Player Thread

In the US, depending on the model, Sony players can often be found cheaper on eBay. In my experience, a couple of sellers in the Chicago area are reliable. You can “make an offer”.

A lot of eBay sellers tend to sell players they modified themselves and usually those players don’t last long. I prefer companies like 220 Electronics, Bombay Electronics, MultiMedia Electronics who’ve been in business 30 plus years.

Yep, that’s exactly who I was thinking of, 220 and Multimedia. Both in the Chicago area. They modify players too.

I finally did it… it temporarily dropped under 370 so I just ordered this one

So I can also order the Pampa Salvaja UHD :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Found this You Tube clip recently, which is helpful for Europe Region B Panasonic Blu Ray owners. It’s a very simple method to play ‘Some’ region A discs … NOT all. :smile:

I tried it out with a region A disc of the BBC series ‘The Fall’ and it worked. Two other titles I tried were one from Shout Factory, and another from Olive Films … no luck with either of those.

My BD player is a quite recent model and doesn’t have all the same buttons on the remote - also I only had a few discs to test. But it’s a real bonus to know there’s a free option to do this without paying a bundle to get your machine hacked. :+1:

1 Like

why doesn’t he mention the player model tho. gotta try this on my Panasonic then :slight_smile:

Seems to work on a variety of Panasonic models - this video was 1 of 3, so I think he does mention his specific machine.

I put together a quick page, corrections and additions welcome
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Help:Region_code

It is therefore harder to find players that are multi-region, in most cases it is cheaper to procure two or three sets of players instead.

I obviously can’t speak for everyone but here in the U.S., it isn’t really difficult to get a region free DVD/Blu player and they aren’t terribly expensive either with more basic models beginning around $120, or even cheaper, with free shipping.

1 Like

I think it’s harder to find Region Free Players in Europe because the entirety of the continent is Region B for Blu Rays so there’s a much wider access to discs under that coding, so fans are just paying a little extra to import the item. Because so few films today strictly have US only releases, it seems like there isn’t a high enough need for Region Free Players. Horror buffs and Film Noir buffs from Europe I know own Region Free Players because the Horrors aren’t cut in the US, and B budgeted Noirs from the mid to late 40’s and early 50’s only have US Blu Ray releases (to my knowledge at least). In the end it does come down to what you like.

1 Like

I changed the wording a bit, at any rate.

1 Like