The Region Free Blu-ray Player Thread

Well I’ve been using the model below that (the S3200) for a couple of years now. And it’s one of the best things I ever bought.

1 Like

I’ve been using a region free S1500 for awhile now and am quite happy. The S3500 is supposedly more mid-line in the x500 series, although a main difference seems to be wi-fi capability, which I don’t care about… I’ve been thinking about purchasing a S3500 (region free of course) from a reliable seller on ebay. I believe the S3500 is sold by some without power supply so buyer beware.

I see the Sony S1700 is going for $57 postpaid on Amazon now.

Addition: I’m not going to buy yet another machine and start buying the films all over again. I am satisfied with the DVD quality of Koch, Eureka, WE and others and I lack good (or any) copies of only a handful of top 150 SWs which interest me (e.g. Quanto costa morire?, Nevada, God Forgives, I Don’t, El Puro, Long Days of Vengeance, Requiem for a Gringo).

It seems clear that the market is moving toward BR from the increasing number of dual DVD/BR releases and that Amazon recommendations to me in this field are mostly BRs.

But there still are three regions :wink:

Personally, I want a region free BR player to enjoy some hong kong imports of restored John Woo etc movies there and so forth

But isn’t Hong Kong also region A ?

I went for a region A Sony S1700. Great little player and much faster than my 6 year old LG region B player.

Exactly, but I live in Region B

But then you only need a Region A player and not a region free one surely!? Region A players are more affordable. Thought for a minute that Hong Kong discs were Region C.

Well I’d still need a Region B player too :slight_smile:

That’s what he’s getting at, Seb. He’s saying it’d be cheaper and easier to keep your region B player and add a region A player to it than to replace your region B player with a multiregion machine.

It doesn’t solve the issue of region C discs of course but I guess the size of that problem depends on how many Russian/Chinese/Indian blu-rays one might own/wish to own.

It’s a shitty one :wink: and I don’t want to have 2 players laying around there :wink:

If you only want one player then just get the cheapest region free player you can live with. The Sony players seem nice. Also, define shitty. Any player that can play the discs I have is non-shitty in my book. If you need the bells and whistles and a player that can do all of your streaming and be able to play any movie format you may have stored on your harddisc aswell as ouput dvds in an acceptable quality you probably have to shop around. I only needed region A player that wasn’t outdated so pretty easy. Also didn’t have with having two players (3 if I include my dvd player). Having two plug snd unplug the players depending on whether I want to watch an American or European disc keeps my brain active :slight_smile:

well mine has started refusing to open the tray, and has other hiccups. It definitely needs replacement :slight_smile:

Well that is the epitome of shittiness right there :slight_smile:

Merging these topics has reordered aome older stuff at the bottom. Cat Stevens post was where we left off. Just for everyone’s info

Lack of funds is always a pain of course but in that case importing stuff at all is a pain.

Initially I only wanted to point out that a region free player costs roughly twice as much in the EU as it does in the US but if you have no money that doesn’t of course help you :slightly_smiling_face:

My sons player is new and probably not of the highest standard. He is a student living at home so like you have very limited funds :slight_smile: Did read up on the players before he bought it though and no matter what player I found there were always someone calling it crap and recommending the next player up the ladder. He is happy with the one he’s got.

I keep eyeing this one, any thoughts from the pros in here?

Does it make any sense buying one player that does it all? You can get the X700 UHD player non-region free bluray part for 200 euro less. I would rather have different players and distribute use between them. Perhaps just me :slight_smile:

yea but ordering a player from another region isn’t actually cheap… so what do you propose? I don’t have an UHD player yet …

It’s up to you of course but I would rather get a region A blu-ray player and a cheaper uhd-player. Actually my region B Sony blu-ray player is starting to stutter after less than two years of use and now I’m glad that I can send it for repairs, hopefully under warranty, and still be able to watch movies :slight_smile:

But yes my point was: only use your expensive region A player playing region A stuff.

well I am region B :slight_smile: first of all… haha. So now where do I get a cheap but good Region A player from?