The Proposition (John Hillcoat, 2005)

looks cool

This is an excellent film, very violent with a good story about a brother who must kill his (bad) brother to save the life of his other brother.

Watched it yesterday. What can I say? It looks good. Great settings, decent cinematography and good acting. The violent scenes are very stylishly done, thus having more impact. There is not a whole lot of violence though and the movie is long on action too. Even though this movie has the looks of a great movie, it’s not a great movie. This is mainly because of the lousy story written by Nick Cave. This lack of scenario is not compensated by action, therefore I’d give it 6/10 which could have been easily more with a decent scriptwriter.
My review:

This film is a dud.
Very boring, pretending to be stylish in parts, but just comes across a self conscious film in the process.
When characters are trying to be mean it just likes that bite, that a spaghetti has.
The director , like so many directors today, does not know how to make a western, they tend to very mixed up with spaghetti and American western elements, and come out with a very mixed product in the end.
The music does not suit the film, and adds nothing to the film either.
I was going to buy it on DVD when it came for a tidy sum, and very glad I did not!!

not my cup of tea!

i enjoyed it myself

me too, i look at it as a start.

I liked a lot, it´s a different western for sure, but very good.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:4, topic:298”]This film is a dud.
Very boring, pretending to be stylish in parts, but just comes across a self conscious film in the process.
When characters are trying to be mean it just likes that bite, that a spaghetti has.
The director , like so many directors today, does not know how to make a western, they tend to very mixed up with spaghetti and American western elements, and come out with a very mixed product in the end.
I was going to buy it on DVD when it came for a tidy sum, and very glad I did not!![/quote]couldn’t agree more.read some great reviews but found it very boring and extremly disapointing."the best western since the wild bunch"i don’t think so.

Yeh…what a load of crap…

Not the best since The Wild Bunch, but I liked it a lot

(Only disliked Hurt)

Very good movie. Geat performances by Pearce Winstone and especially John Huston’s son Danny.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:4, topic:298”]This film is a dud.
I was going to buy it on DVD when it came for a tidy sum, and very glad I did not!![/quote]I usually restrain myself from attacking opinions but I must speak my mind here. I think you are a bit harshon the film. This is a extremely well made film and I think calling it a load of crap is over the top. I respect your opinion but disagree imensley.

I myself did not fully understand it but after rewatching it, I find it is a magnificent western. Very simple and emotional. The premise is the type that is only suited for westerns and it makes it western through and through.

I liked this film quite a lot. It sure looks awesome and there’s certain slow, depressing atmosphere I like. Most actors are very good too. But I understand Ennioo’s point that nowadays directors can’t really make decent westerns, something seems to be always missing or they feel too much of homages. Balancing between the sw style, classic style and nowadays film making is certainly one thing that doesn’t work that well.

Just watched this for the first time. Wow! It was a little too unpleasant at times, but otherwise a great piece of film making. Of course, as an “Aussie Western” vehicle for Guy Pearce, it has since been superseded by “The Rover” (granted, a neo-Western) which is one of the best films of this decade IMO.

1 Like