The Price of Power / Il prezzo del potere (Tonino Valerii, 1969)

Actors donā€™t look at these films the way we as fans do ā€¦ in many cases they never see the finished movie or remember the titles of those they worked on. Itā€™s a job ā€¦ in and out, get paid and thatā€™s that.
If we as movie fans are reminded of these similarities then itā€™s just coincidence or plagiarism from the director or 2nd unit stunt guys ā€¦ not a professional nod or homage to il maestro :wink:

ā€˜Once upon a time in the westā€™, is one long list of true homages to Leoneā€™s favourite western films and directors ā€¦ from the ā€˜High Noonā€™ opening, waiting for the train, to the long duster coats and Monument Valley locations of ā€˜My Darling Clementineā€™ ā€¦ plus a ton of others.

Leone was an artist who was fascinated by the subject matter and genre he brought us ā€¦ but you canā€™t imagine that the dozens of other film directors and producers that jumped the band wagon, are acknowledging greatness by stealing a trick here and there ā€¦ they just wanted to make a successful entertaining film, and Leoneā€™s work was the blueprint for an entire genre. :wink:

Itā€™s fun for us to spot these little moments ā€¦ but if youā€™re working in the scalding sun for 12 hours a day, you seriously couldnā€™t give two flying Fs about homage.

1 Like

An article from CinĆ©-Revue, August 1969 - with an interesting quote from Valerii regarding contemporary events transposed to the 19th century ā€¦

3 Likes

Hereā€™s one for @Bill_Willer :wink: New poll open on the first post at the top of the page.

3 Likes

Big surprise Iā€™m one of the two who gave it five. Not to say I think itā€™s absolutely perfect because I donā€™tā€¦I really give it about 4.7 stars but Iā€™ve rounded it up to five.

2 Likes

Watching this movie set in Dallas after having lived there for 20 years, imagine my surprise to see there is a mountain range on the outskirts of Dallas that I somehow never noticed!

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Sandoval

Very appropriate name as we await the blu-ray premiere of A Bullet for Sandoval!

A hearty welcome to the ā€˜SWDBā€™, amigoā€¦ :cowboy_hat_face:

Welcome to the site!

According to Giuliano Gemma, Van Johnson was acquainted with the Kennedy family and worried how they would receive the film (Kevin Grant, p. 429) ā€“ understandably, given such promotional images as the one on the left (the children do not appear in the film) ā€¦

First lady (MarĆ­a Cuadra) and president (Van Johnson) with son and daughter; the Kennedy family in the White House

4 Likes

If he was really worried why was he doing the movie in the first place?

Guess his wallet made the final decision

So funny how especially us youngsters watch these flicks today totally ignorant of the context during then they came out. It all becomes part of ā€œold movie blurā€

Youngsters? Comparatively speaking, I suppose. I was six months old when Il prezzo del potere was released in Italy. :sunglasses:

1 Like