The Man Called Noon / Lo chiamavano Mezzogiorno (Peter Collinson, 1973)

My dad was a frugal chap. Used to say something similar to; If you look after your pennies son the pounds will look after themselves. As a kid though always thought it would have been easier to just rob a bank or something.

Oh yes - forgot to mention the fabulous Almerian (and other, great rocks?) scenery. Thought I recognised one of the locations from The Mild Bunch’s visit.

Also have this poster of the film … (my accidental foot gives scale).

Yeah, like I’ve said, the locations were great. And so was the black-clad bitch although her horse riding shots looked quite phony.

The rocks are great :smiley: . That one Crenna helps roll at the end and crushes the bad guy. Made me laugh… the guy had ages to move out of the way ??? . Rubel Noon the name aswell…has a certain ring to it. And the guy has his own private train station aswell.

Yes, his chaps were gone about one minute before but he didn’t notice. He had also plenty of time to move after the rock fell. They were probably running out of film so he had to die, one way or another.

My DVD review of the new Odeon Entertainment UK release is done.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Man_Called_Noon_DVD_Review

By far the best release this film has had to my knowledge. Some muffling effect on the soundtrack is its only fault as far as I can tell and suspect this is due to the mono source. Other than that it’s good one.

Surprised myself the BBFC did not find something to cut out of this. Makes me wonder sometimes if the people at the BBFC actually view the film, or just have a little sleep during the film.

In particular I assumed there would be some horse fall cuts from the final showdown scenes but apparently not despite the fact there were dobbins flying all over the place.

http://img835.imageshack.us/i/flyinghorse.jpg/

Like this?

The point is: I didn’t know what dobbins were
Made me think of Basil Falwlty, after he has found out that two distinguished guests in his hotel like Harold Robbins, an author he had just called an absolute scribbler:
“Oh, you mean Robbins? Robbins—?? I thought you said Robinson. What’s the name again of his last book? Oh my god, it was awful!”

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:29, topic:945”][url]http://img835.imageshack.us/i/flyinghorse.jpg/[/url]

Like this?[/quote]
;D
That would qualify certainly. But I was thinking more of stuff like this.

and this

I’m not sure of the actual rules in regard to horse falling and the BBFC but thought the ones on show in this film were quite spectacular to have survived the chop. Having said that, I did read once that horses falling on their faces was the key thing that was outlawed and these all land on their backs and sides as far as I can tell which I think shows that they have fallen voluntarily as a result of training rather than been tripped by an unseen wire or rope. Perhaps someone who knows more about this than me can clarify.

I finally rewatched this one

My ears are still tingling because of the awful sound. I pumped up the volume and watched the film with a headphone in order to be able to decypher the dialogue, and still I didn’t get some of it. And what’s worse, the music, sounding very shrill, gave me a terrible headache.

About the movie: I do admit it looks a bit better than I thought (and the good video quality certainly helped a lot), but the compositions look very studied with all these wagon wheels, rocks and tree-stumps that are put between the camera and the actors. At first this looks great, but after a while it starts getting on your nerves. I think this rather convoluted crime story with an amnesiac hero, an ambiguous buddy, a hidden treasure, a secret underground house and a fued between two cowgirls doesn’t really pay off in a western context. The first half hour is eery and suggestive, but then it all becomes too talkative and static; the fiery finale is okay, but no more than that.

I always liked Crenna and Boyd and both are okay, but all in all I think Rosanna Schiaffino’s ‘balcony’ was the best thing the movie had to offer

2,5 out of 5

It surprises me a better audio could not have been sourced and / or improved. Did you not notice the closing doors as much this time…

The Man Called noon is a western which tries a lot and achieves nothing.
Director Collinson hadn’t much ideas how to shoot a western, so he tries a bit SW style and a bit of this and a bit of that, but nothing works. The film looks incredible poor, especially when Collinson uses (overuses) wide angle lenses, which make pretty ugly looking images in this clean looking film. It may be only the fault of the VHS version I have seen, but the colors look shitty too. The 2 main actors look uncomfortable in their costumes, the one of Boyd looks silly, while Crenna is simply miscast. The action scenes are done without any imagination and made me chuckle a few times. The story was taken from a medicore Louis L’Amour novel, but in the film it even works less.

A painfully badly directed mess, and for most of the runtime also a big, big bore. 1/10

But you forgot something Stanton:

RICHARD CRENNA IS GOD!

Ha, ha…almost forgot about that for some reason :stuck_out_tongue: .

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:34, topic:945”]But you forgot something Stanton:

RICHARD CRENNA IS GOD![/quote]

I always liked The Monkeys, but never was a believer

The film is all but great, it’s merely watchable, but 1/10 … come on, I saw two in Rosanna’s balcony and they deserved at least one point each

Going to call Rambo

Ok 2/10

But not for Rosanna. She looked good (and somehow different, I didn’t recognize her), but her role was weak. The baddie girlie earns the extra point for having the best moments in the film. She also looks better.

(but of course not as good as ol’ god Crenna for some)

[quote=“Stanton, post:38, topic:945”]Ok 2/10

But not for Rosanna. She looked good (and somehow different, I didn’t recognize her), but her role was weak. The baddie girlie earns the extra point for having the best moments in the film. She also looks better.

(but of course not as good as ol’ god Crenna for some)[/quote]

Crenna is in a balcony of his own

Agreed about the girl in black, 3/10 (seriously: for me it’s a typical 2/5 film, below average)

No.
It was too boring and too badly made to deserve more than a 2 from me.
And the stylistic “touch” totally backfired.

I also wrote a nice, but not very favourable database comment:

A totally failed attempt to turn a lame story about an amnesiac gunfighter into an arty looking western. Everything seems to be wrong in a film as explosive as a nap at noon.