The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

I watched Pale Rider. Not his best but entertaining stuff! I like his costume in this one.

For a Few Dollars More is the best of the Dollars trilogy.

5 Likes

“If there’s going to be any shooting I gotta get some rest.”

I must admit that I like all three…and I find it hard to have a favourite, because each one is wonderful in its own unique way.

1 Like

Very true.

For me there is a big gap between GBU and the first 2 Dollar films, which are both flawed next to some brilliant material. GBU is a masterpiece of cinema, the other 2 show the way.

Although GBU is not my #1, it’s certainly worthy of being the definitive Italian Western.

2 Likes

GBU is a masterpiece. No one can dispute that. It is an epic. The previous ones told stories on a much smaller scale. The phrase ‘showing the way’ a great way to describe the master tuning himself up. :cowboy_hat_face:
FoFDM is my favourite, the one I would choose to watch first. The best one for me.

1 Like

Agree. It has a more interesting story with Lee Van Cleef added than Fistful Of Dollars, and GBU is a bit dragging at times, especially in the Cabo Del Gata desert scene but it has a sublime end of course. The Tuco character is no great favorite of mine either.

Lee Van Cleef’s involvement is a big selling point for me too. His Obi Wan mentor to Clint and the chemistry between them is brilliant in this old master - talented pupil type relationship. I think he is great as Angel Eyes but I would prefer to see someone else to have done the part. I like Tuco and if anyone else played the part it would have been Leone most annoying character.
But hey I don’t have a TARDIS and can’t change history.:man_shrugging:

Just re-watched One damned day at dawn…Django meets Sartana.
Although this is a cheap Fidani western which I did not rate very high previously, I did enjoy it and would rate is as Ok now.

I am probably the same as others who re-watch some average or worse than average SW’s and rate them higher on 2nd or subsequent viewing. This applies to many of the average SW’s but not to the bottom of the pile type SW’s.

1 Like

Second viewings sometimes reveal things you missed, things you overlooked due to a dislike of it or boredom. Or you just appreciate it for what it is.

1 Like

I just recently found out that the Outlaw Josey Wales was based on a novel written by Forrest Carter. He was an ex klansman pretending to be a Native American. Interesting stuff.

1 Like

I don’t remember that in the original novel. However the one I read could have been altered for the release of Clint Eastwood film. There is a sequel novel The vengeance Trail of Josey Wales. Could that be it?

He meant the writer himself. Carter was indeed a Klansman. His admiration for American Indians likely came from their support for the Confederacy.

Oh sorry got the wrong end of the stick. :expressionless:
I drew some pictures based on the novel. I probably have notes on it.
Thanks for pointing it out. I remember it was originally called GONE TO TEXAS.

But he claimed to be native American to use that term … The Education of Little Tree’ is supposed to be biographical !!!

1 Like

Even a brief scan of his history via Wikipedia shows a very dodgy character - quite a shock for fans of the books and Clint movie also.

1 Like

Same thing with Robert E. Howard he was a strange bloke too.

Just scanned Wikipedia, Carter was a dodgy fella!