The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

Hi, Phil.

I did pre-order, several weeks, beforehand.

Thinking about it, what I have received bears no resemblance to the Amazon pic that was advertised. Perchance…have I been done, by ‘Amazon’

Could be.
I pre-ordered through Eureka direct.

I think direct from ‘Eureka’ may be the best option for the next time I order.

Thank you, Phil. Happy viewing, and best wishes to both yourself, and family. Stay welll.

1 Like

My copy is the same as the photo you posted - cardboard slipcase - from Amazon.
Can you take a pic of what you received … just curious?

1 Like

My apologies, Aldo. I’m knackered. I suffer from 'M.E. (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and it’s taking its toll at the moment

Just been out shopping, and am knackered, completely ready for bed.
Will answer your post when I am able.

Hopefully ready for ‘The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly’, on Saturday. Bring on the wine and pizza.!

In the mean-time - stay well, buddy…all the best to family, and those close…

Now for bed!!!

Sorry to hear that - rest up and take it easy.

1 Like

Although I’ve stated recently TGTBTU isn’t my top Leone, I’ve come around more and more to it over the years and a rewatch is sounding pretty good right about now. Although I still need to rewatch Duck You Sucker first maybe, and I still have yet to view the original Italian version which I picked up a bit ago in its tinted blu ray version.

1 Like

It’s not my favorite Leone film, I give that to For a Few Dollars More. A Leone marathon is in need. I plan to start with My Name is Nobody. I watched a documentary on the bonus features and Terence Hill gives a lot of insight into the making of it.
I plan on watching the Dollars films in chronological order, maybe that will help.

1 Like

If I don’t watch ‘The Good, The Bad & The Ugly’ on Saturday, I’ll watch it on May 31st - a celebration of Clint’s 90th birthday!

I first saw the film, on the BBC, Easter Monday,1976.

Blimmin’ 'eck…how the years fly!

R.I.P. Sergio, Lee and Eli.

4 Likes

wow, 90 years old… Clint seems to be doing pretty dang good for 90. Still making movies in recent years even

Didn’t know his birthday was may 31, just a few days after my own

2 Likes

That’s a brilliant idea, I might save Once Upon a Time in the West for November 3rd to celebrate Charlie Bronson’s birthday! :cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Good idea. Stock up on your favourite tipple…and have a harmonica to hand… :grinning:

That would be Whyte & Mackay’s whisky. And I did buy a harmonica in when I was 15. I didn’t learn to play though! :blush:

1 Like

The Way West - Andrew McLaglen (1967)

This one on the other hand was a really disappointment, I can’t really connect with Andrew McLaglen westerns.

The plot that seemed pretty straightforward about an epic expedition heading west in so called Oregon trail, is really confusing with a lot of characters and subplots, the all film seem like a no ending Greek tragedy.

There’s a big cast, but all seemed out of place with the exception of a young Sally Field in one of her first credits if not the first. Kirk Douglas tries but his character was so strange that he seems to overact looking like a Moses figure, Richard Widmark was not particularly inspired and Robert Mitchum sleeps through the entire film.

For a 60’s western it’s kind of creepy in the sense all the character’s only have a one dramatic dimension.

The ending is strange to say the least. I guess the director tried to much to make an westen epic, ending with something far from epic

Not a good one, even with a great cast

2 out of 5ww

2 Likes

The Sioux in the film also look more like their enemies, the Pawnee! I know they didn’t often care about too much authenticity back then but it was exceptionally annoying for me!

2 Likes

No seen it, heard of it, I was put off by Richard Widmark’s involvement. Great title though. I didn’t mind the Westerns McLaglen made with John Wayne.
The Pawnee? Can anyone verify that name?

1 Like

A rival Plains tribe, historical enemies of the Sioux known for wearing what some would incorrectly refer to as the “Mohawk” hairstyle (the real Mohawk hairstyle was the scalplock).

2 Likes

Thanks. I have a very limited knowledge of Native American people. So no offence intended if anybody who is descended from the Pawnee tribe.

I’m like you Topo. I can’t think of a single McLaglen western I really like very much.

1 Like

He made a mixed bag. My favourite is Cahill U. S. Marshall. Chisum was weak. A telling of the tale we didn’t need.