The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

Complete Crea
New announcement!

6 Likes

Watched 7 Guns For The McGregors finally, never managed to get hold of it before…
… Or find an English audio version on YouTube, I tried to watch an Italian version on there but it’s more of an Italian attempt at a US western so I gave up…
Anyway I really enjoyed it, Robert Woods was great as always, nicely directed by Franco Giraldi

3 Likes

One of my faves, highly underrated imo. The sequel is just as great too :+1:

3 Likes

Watched Two Faces of the Dollar (Le due facce del dollar) and had pretty good time. Catchy music, some clichés from Leone and very good Gerard Herter. No blu ray release, but very good quality on Youtube

5 Likes

I had some time to kill this morning so I watched Alex Cox’s Tombstone-Rashomon. The story of the O.K. Corral told in the style of Kurosawa’s Rashomon sounded intriguing as one would get to see the viewpoints of the major players involved. As Cox appears to have had a very…very…very limited budget to work with (I would bet I have spent more filling my car with gas :wink:), this was actually an interesting way of handling it. Unfortunately, it missed the mark in my opinion and it was all I could do not to doze off. I wish I had spent my morning re-watching Tombstone instead.

“I’m your huckleberry.” :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Johnny Hamlet / Quella sporca storia nel West (Enzo G. Castellari, 1968)

Watched another classic. Jeff Cameron is great, as usuall.

5 Likes

Just watched Up The McGregors
A damn fine large scale flik I thoroughly enjoyed

6 Likes

Pillars of the Sky. Pretty solid.
Walk the proud land. Also good
Border River. Ok
Fort Yuma. Meeeh

2 Likes

Decided to give Adios Sabata a spin. I rather enjoyed it. First-time viewing for me

2 Likes

Recently saw the BluRay of RED RIVER. What a movie

4 Likes

One of my favourites. Did you watch the theatrical or pre-release cut?

1 Like

Pre-release cut

1 Like

Ok. I was grabbing the popcorn for a Seb rant on why one version is superior to the other.

John Wayne plays a total bastard in ‘Red River’ … his character’s actions are quite shocking, but I wonder is that was what Wayne based his own set of values on … or was he just so ardently ‘patriotic’ to cover his own failure to help out during WWII

The crap he comes out with in relation to ‘High Noon’, saying that no group of American people would behave in such a cowardly manner to leave Gary Cooper to fight alone … and making a film with this type of scenario is practically treason, or un-American. Yet he is seen in clips accepting Cooper’s academy award for the same film, and commenting on how he wished he’d been offered the role … he takes the reverse position when interviewed by Michael Parkinson years later … strange man :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

John Wayne’s a smashing actor but I reckon he must’ve been a total c*nt off the screen :joy:

I think it’s a case of an alcoholic (or hard drinker as the tough guys of this period preferred) who is living with a lot of personal guilt, and masks that with booze and bullshit … and it’s always easier to point the finger of disapproval at others rather than face up to his own issues.

Regarding him being a total cunt … I believe he was well liked by co-stars who said he was always polite and friendly, even those who were expecting to have problems with him.

I think a major part of the problem with Wayne was that he started believing he was this noble heroic character that he played in so many of his movies … a case of ‘Don’t get high on your own supply!’ :wink:

I enjoy many of his films very much, so it’s a bit shocking when you come across interviews about his ideas on race, for instance … because he’s not this big avuncular character that will see fair play for all.

3 Likes

Oh Duke… not every western has to resemble a Ford or Hawks. Nothing wrong with a bit of variety.

I re-watched Django the Bastard tonight because I needed clips for an edit. I love this film so much :heart: Is it bad that I prefer Anthony Steffen’s supernatural Django over Franco Nero’s OG Django? :sweat_smile:

Sidenote: That little smile of Django’s when he finds Rada Rassimov’s character in the cellar is the cutest and most precious thing I’ve seen tonight (apart from a dog video my brother sent me)

4 Likes

I felt like something familiar tonight. I love this movie. One of Gregory Peck’s best.

SM

4 Likes