The Last TV Series You Watched

‘THE OFFICE’

Just before Christmas I bought the BBC series 1 & 2 of ‘The Office’, plus the Christmas Specials DVD, starring Ricky Gervais.

Despite the fact that the series were made 20 years ago, in 2001, I’d never seen it, so decided to give it a go.

Verdict: Absolutely brilliant! Great script, acting, pacing…engaging, and so very, very enjoyable.
This spoof TV Doc. series is so well made, that I found myself replaying scenes, just to see the expressions on the characters faces…so good, and so very believable.

Highly recommended.

NOTE: Ricky Gervais in ‘Derek’ is also worth checking out.

P.S. I think I may have a crush on Lucy Davis, who plays Dawn, the receptionist… :grin:

2 Likes

Yep, exactly my thoughts about TWD until Season 8, which became so dumb that I stopped watching.

1 Like

Lucy has let herself go a bit since this was made :roll_eyes: but haven’t we all ! LoL

1 Like

The good thing about letting yourself go, is that you then have the choice of when to re-capture yourself… :wink:

2 Likes

I like that … how reassuring - I thought I was permanently f**ked! LoL

:rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

That sounds like heaven to me… :wink:

1 Like

Not quite what I meant! LOL

2 Likes

Working my way through the 1986 TV 10-part series, ‘Shaka Zulu’ on BD.

An amazing watch. I’m on episode three, and loving every thrilling moment.
I vaguely remember watching this on TV so many years ago, but doubt if it was so colourful and detailed as it is on this two-disc BD.

This is thoroughly recommended for anyone interested in the ‘Zulu Empire’, from 1823 onwards.
It details the rise of ‘Shaka’, the greatest of the Zulus, who forged an empire from humble beginnings.

Note: the BD image is far better than that pictured below.

Getting to the final part of " Song of the Bandits".
It is a Korean series about the Korean independence from Japan in the early 1900’s
I love the story telling and visuals. There are links to the genre we love in the way the story is depicted. Hope to see a next season coming.

3 Likes

Also high Up in my watchlist once I am all done with the Duttons :wink:

I watched until season 3 of the Duttons but the newer series are not shown on tv but on yet another streaming service. So I am waiting in patience to see if it will show up sometime again. We have subscriptions to 4 streaming services and that should be enough for now.

I watch it chronologically. Started with 1883 which is unarguably the best, and quite a show in its own right. Finished Yellowstone season 4 last night. 1923 is the weakest of the franchise, but on treason is that it is not a self contained miniseries but awaiting a season 2 for concluding all the story lines.

I thought season 5 was also finished or is that the season where Costner backed off to make is “Horizon”?

there’s a season 5, that’s all i know :slight_smile:

Fun fact: you can rent costner’s ranch in Aspen for 40 grand a night. so much for doing what you can to not lose your ranch

2 Likes

I’m enjoying watching this series ,it’s really good.

2 Likes

Just finished Wednesday. The Adams is sort of Guilty pleasure and I liked this one pretty much to finish it to the end

Started “3 Body Problem” (I have read the first of the books). and we’re currently enjoying the new Mr and Mrs Smith, a quirky take on the concept. Also liked Tokyo Vice, but need to find a source to watch Season 2 next.
I am also finishing a bunch of leftovers (series once started but begging to be finished so as not to produce anxiety attacks), like Longmire, with which I am not almost done, finally, and it’s just so much worse than when the show initially began.
For fun I still thoroughly enjoy Kim’s Convenience, an absolutely recommended sitcom.
Looking forward to pick up next: Song of Bandits, Shogun.

1 Like

Thank you! I have had this discussion with numerous members of my family who refuse to accept that fact.

I watched 4 seasons of ‘Longmire’ on DVD … very enjoyable, with a few obvious TV series shortcomings - It must have nose dived after these episodes?