The Last TV Series You Watched

Watched a couple of TV Series (basically Sandinavian or other Noir). This one is British, based on fact and one of the best things I’ve watched in quite a while:

MANHUNT (2019)

MANHUNT (2019)

A ITV miniseries, based on the true story of the investigation into the death of a young French student, Amélie Delagrange. The investigation soon made all the headlines, when the assault on the young woman was linked to several other (unsolved) murder cases. The manhunt eventually led to the arrest of one of Britain’s most brutal and vicious murderers, the serial killer and serial rapist Levi Bellfield, an English born Romani, today known as Yusuf Rahim (he converted to Islam in prison)

DCI Colin Sutton , who was selected to lead the investigation, had successfully led several minor murder cases, but his superiors had doubts about his competence to lead an investigation of this magnitude, but without his stubbornness and tenacity, Bellfield would have never been arrested. Sutton’s own writings, served as the base for the script. In the miniseries Sutton is masterly played by Martin Clunes, who is otherwise better known for more lighthearted roles. Celyn Jones is also very convincing as Bellfield. Suspensefull and frightening. Definitely recommended.

****½ out of 5

2 Likes

It was very good! ITV are on a roll at the moment.

I am watching OUTLANDER at the moment. As a history buff it really appeals. The frequency of nooky does too. But the story is strong too. Black Jack Randell is a great villain

1 Like

Saw this was on but never watched it. Think I’ll give it a go on catch up based on your review Scherp.

1 Like

I watched the first two series of OUTLANDER and they were very good, although some episodes were better than others and a couple of them (more about sex than anything else) were only watchable because the lady was good-looking, especially in the nude. But it all went downhill in series 3. I watched a few episodes but then gave up.

Series 3 is slow put picks up. I am about half way through it. But the early ones run like a regular melodrama.
But the amount of sex in OUTLANDER has put a lot of friends off the program. Now that’s a first.

Hanging, stabbing, gouging, mutilation and murder are fine … but a little nudity really freaks out the Presbyterian ! :rofl:

2 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

‘BOTTOM’, series 1-3, (BBC, 1991-95), starring Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson…

Sheer comedy brilliance…which always guarantees a smile to end the day. :smiley:

2 Likes

I am sporting the Ade Edmondson look!

1 Like

Monty Python for me. Now all together now!

"I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK, I sleep all night and I work all day!
" I chop down trees, I eat my lunch, I go to the lavatreee! "Monty_Python's_Flying_Circus_Title_Card

3 Likes

P.D. JAMES (Adam Dalgliesh)

Several years ago, I bought P.D. James ‘Adam Dalgliesh Chronicles’ DVD box-set, and have finally found the time to watch the first story, ‘Death of an Expert Witness’, which featured the talented Roy Marsden, as Dalgliesh, accompanied by a veritable host of British actors/actresses, including Geoffrey Palmer, Barry Foster, Brenda Blethyn, Ray Brooks…

First broadcast on TV, in the early 80’s, I never bothered watching the series, at the time.
I don’t know why I’ve waited so long, but buying the collection was the right thing to do…

Never having read a word of the author, PD James, I can only judge the series based on its own merits…of which it has many.

Even though the action is slow-moving, such a sedate pace suits me fine, at the moment…and gives me more time to get to know, and digest each character.

Roy Marsden, in the role of Dalgliesh, is superb; and I have long admired his acting - going all the way back to ‘The Sandbaggers’ TV series, in which he appeared with the much-missed Ray Lonnen (‘Harry’s Game’).

Nice to see that Roy Marsden’s adaption of Agatha Christie’s ‘The Lady Vanishes’, was touring the country, last year, on stage…

1 Like

Great cast! It’s a new one to me.

In my case, a definite buy…but only if you don’t mind the sedate pace.

It would be a change from the frantic one present in so many modern TV and films.

1 Like

Most of the TV boxsets I own are 1959 - 1975 with some 1990s shows.

1 Like

‘NAPOLEON AND LOVE’ (1974)

Starring the late, great, Sir Ian Holm, this series has sat, unwatched, on my shelf, for the past few years.
But now, with the sad passing of Sir Ian, I decided to watch the first episode, as a tribute to this respected gentleman. All in all, I quite enjoyed it, even though it is rather sedately-paced. Worth watching, if only to sample the cream of British acting talent…Billie Whitelaw; Karen Dotrice; Nicola Pagett; Sorcha Cusack; Stephanie Beacham; Catherine Schnell; Peter Jeffrey; and Peter Bowles.

It is interesting to note that Sir Ian later, in 1981, again played Napoleon…this time, in Terry Gilliam’s superb ‘Time Bandits’.

‘Napoleon and Love’…not everyone’s cup of tea, but - as way of a tribute - a fitting one.

1 Like

Never heard of this one, but if were in my charity shop, it’s exactly the sort of stuff I go for - The 1970s Brit tv isn’t all dreamy nostalgic gold though … some of the comedy shows haven’t aged well at all … Remember ‘The Liver Birds’? and ‘Citizen Smith’, ‘Robin’s Nest’ ??? … all boxsets I’ve picked up, and like the original owners, then wondered why.

However, ‘George and Mildred’ is still a frigging masterpiece !!! LOL :rofl: laughing just thinking about it.

Agreed…what a combination Brian and Yootha were. :grinning:

Yes…same here. Programmes that I remember laughing at, when I was a kid, don’t have the same appeal, anymore. The ITV comedy, of yesteryear, seems to have suffered the most. I think the only comedy that ITV produced - that can still reduce me to tears - is ‘Rising Damp’, featuring the great Leonard Rossiter, as Rigsby - the Ebenezer Scrooge of all landlords…

“Oh my God, I’ve killed Vienna!”

2 Likes

Classic … Timeless.

Watched all of them over Christmas time … still fantastically funny after all these years.

1 Like

I recently watched every episode of Columbo. A little repetitive but still very entertaining.

2 Likes