The Last Movie You Watched?

Recomendations:

The Goon by Eric Powell
Hellboy by Mike Mignolia
Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse by Ben Templesmith
The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman

Also any and all by Alan Moore or Frank Miller

Unfortunately, I haven’t got much time or money for comics, I have to restrict myself to the ones that one of my friends lends me. I think he has The Walking Dead though, I’ll ask him for it.

No, it is definitely a groundbreaking work and its hard to find other comics which come close to it in terms of the quality of writing. Moore is a particularly intelligent writer and was at the top of his game when he wrote Watchmen.

Watchmen is special, but there are lots of other superhero comics which have played with similar themes. There are also a ton of other entertaining comics and comics which are worthy of critical attention besides Watchmen. Besides, in order to really appreciate what makes Watchmen great, you should read more comics! It’s a very clever sort of meta-comic and a love letter to superhero ideology, and the more comics you read the more you can see that.

Well, I loved it without knowing much about super-hero comics, but I’m always interested to discover other stuff and if knowing more about it makes Watchmen even better, then why not!

That’s why the men doesn’t want his name connected in any way to the films adaptations of his stories.

Moore is a magnificent storyteller, Watchmen must be one of the comic stories of all time and there are some very good. the film is good just for trying to put to cinema such a difficult story, V was in that aspect a easier task, but the film is not so good, for soem reason kept reminding the 1984 flick the one with Burton

Recomendatiosn, well I’ll have to go back to my old Heavy Metal collection, not much uptadet to comic level these days, but here it goes

Hugo Pratt Corto Maltese my favourite La maison Doree de Samarkand
Frank Miller - The Elektra saga
Enki Bilal - A caçada and As falanges da ordem negra. Don’t really know the english titles, being the first one a story about Soviet Union rise and desintegration, and the other about some old Spanish Civil war fighters.
Neil Gaiman - Sandman

Any Moore story some old stuff from Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, so many I just can’t remember

I find myself giving comic book recommendations a lot now that Hollywood is adapting so many. Anyway, allow me to start you off with five good comics:

1. Preacher

Sometimes puerile, but pretty much consistently entertaining. All the spin-off stuff like Saint Of Killers is good as well, and very accessible for fans of westerns.

1. The Ultimates

The first two volumes of The Ultimates are lavish, blockbuster affairs. Essentially a reimagining of the Avengers, Marvel has been mining these books for their various superhero franchises recently. The Ultimates is also a good introduction to Mark Miller, who is a bit of a love him or hate him sort of writer.

1. Arkham Asylum

Still probably my favourite of Grant Morrison’s writings, this self-contained Batman story is beautifully painted by Dave McKean. In terms of best Batman story ever, it’s a toss up between this and Alan Moore’s The Killing Joke.

1. Daredevil: Man Without Fear

Frank Miller is a bit hit or miss in my opinion, but this is a great comic and less well known than Sin City. Originally Miller wrote Man Without Fear as a screenplay, but when then he adapted it for comics when it wasn’t picked up. It’s an origin story and Matt Murdock doesn’t become Daredevil until the final pages, so I can understand why studios may have been reluctant to show interest.

1. Astro City

Astro City is just clever, charming writing with plenty of depth. It’s been going for a while now, and I haven’t read all the latest issues. What I have read I enjoyed and it’s a good example of a superhero comic which knows how to have fun with the genre.

You may well have read some of them already, but there you go, five comics from five different writers. The Walking Dead got a mention earlier and that is pretty good, although I got a bit bored with it and I’m feeling that it’s getting slightly overhyped now with the HBO show being so successful.

Haven’t read much comics since my younger days, due to being wrapped up entirely in other interests, but really enjoy Grant Morrison’s The Invisibles, and The Dark Tower series from King’s books- which is now being adapted to film as well

It’s on AMC not HBO. :wink:

Oops. I knew that. :-[

How is Moore’s take on Swamp Thing? For some reason, I’ve always been drawn to that one… perhaps because it seems like a strange combination to me: Moore & Swamp Thing

A little up and down, but essentially superb. If you like Lovecraftian horror, it’s a must read. I particularly enjoyed the later “American Gothic” arc.

How Green Was My Valley… some stunning shots in this and I love the way John Ford uses his music… also Maureen O’Hara is gorgeous. Some annoyingly humorous scenes in the school but truly a great atmospheric movie overall.

Had a movie night with a friend, watched Highlander and Red Dawn. Highlander was a fun film, but there’s a few elements that really bugged me, felt a bit dated sometimes. As for Red Dawn, I expected it to be a ridiculously cheesy film and I was surprised by how serious and how dark it was, still not exactly sure what to make of it.

Red dawn is a gulity pleasure of mine, remember that I grew up in Cold a War environment in a very politized country, film like this (and others even more ionnocuous like Bluethunder, Rocky IV or the famous Yves Montad documentary) were often critized to say the least by the then popular left wing movements and inteligenzia in general, so we just had to like this stuff a lot, and Red Dawn was a personel favourite, Spetsnaz para-troopers destroying highschool, and then revenge, how cool can it be.

Actually the film is based in some Army secret memoradum (well almost secret), of what could happen if the US were indeed invaded.

“Invasion U.S.A” with Chuck Norris has the same theme as “Red Dawn”, but is superior IMO.
My avatar is from that film.

No British or European comics mentioned I see :(. Some of you should check out Pat Mill’s Charly’s War - comics don’t get much better than that.

Well, I’m British, but we simply don’t produce enough high quality comics in comparison to the Americans or the Japanese to really deserve to place in my recommendations. Also, most of what we do produce is just dumb fun, and not what I would seriously recommend to anyone who’s got past the adolescence stage. I know that’s harsh, but it’s also realistic.

If it’s any consolation, three of the five writers I recommended (Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison and Mark Miller) are all British. We export a lot of our talent, of which we have plenty, to the bigger American market.

Well Hugo Pratt and Enki Bilal are pretty much European

Some great comics:

Hugo Pratt - Corto Maltese (and other stuff of him)
Daniel Clowes - Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron
Moebius - Le garage hermetique
Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez - Love and Rockets
Dave Sim - Cerebus
Alan Moore - (nearly everything he ever did)
Frank Miller - Elektra Assassin
Ronin
Vittorio Giardino - Max Friedmann
Jacques Loustal
Charles Burns - Black Hole
David Lapham - Stray Bullets
Mathias Schultheis - Die Wahrheit über Shelby
Guido Crepax
Neil Gaiman - Sandman

and there will be more if I think about it a few min longer …

And Comanche by Hermann and Greg is an excellent Western which probably tops every US Western comic.

Manara