The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

I liked first 10-15 minutes with flying head. I can’t recollect at all what it was all about after that point, but my rating was similar to yours back then.

Same here.

I have these two on a watchpile for a long time, I once started to watch Visitor, but didn’t have subs, so I didn’t finish. But I will, both look interesting.

More like grindhouse masterbore. Sorry.

Looks interesting, might give it a go one day.

Don’t know where you read that Mickey but they were dead wrong.

A random IMDb review. I should’ve checked RT as well, but the site has turned sour for me recently just like most film criticism these days and now I tend to read heed ordinary viewers’ reviews just as much as professional ones. But yeah, they were totally wrong.

Robin Hood (1991) - by John Irvin with Patrick Bergin. I tried, but by today’s standard it is barely watchable. It’s actually not bad for a few minutes, but once Robin is outlawed things get so booooring, well, I was unable to finish it and just skipped to a supersilly wedding/brawl in the end and then I just said enough is enough.

1 Like

1… Genesis II roddenberry
2… Zardoz boorman

as far as relatively-believable plots involving sci-fi females dominating sci-fi males.

Vanishing Point 1971 - Richard C. Sarafian

Haven’t watch V Point in a long time caught it in TV, and could not stop watching it. I remember the time this was my favourite film, still is one of my favourites.
Made in the year I Was born, Vanishing Point stands a cool film, the driving scenes are great the music fits perfectly in the mood of the film.
The director sometimes almost used the camera as he was filming a documentary, with an uncommon use of people’s faces, in contrast with Kowalski face smiling in the face of death.
The all story is about freedom.
Just notice this time that the final theme was sung by Kim Karnes who was a country singer at the time.

2 Likes

Last couple of weeks:
Reign of the Supermen (Liu, 2019) :star::star::star:
Final Destination 5 (Quale, 2011) :star::star::star:
Sister Street Fighter (Yamaguchi, 1974) :star::star::star:
The House That Jack Built (von Trier, 2018) :star::star::star::star:
Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968) :star::star::star::star:
Sister Street Fighter: Hanging by a Thread (Yamaguchi, 1974) :star::star::star:
Easy Rider (Hopper, 1969) :star::star::star::star:
The Return of the Sister Street Fighter (Yamaguchi, 1975) :star::star::star:

1 Like
  1. Chaplin: City Lights 10/10
  2. Richardson: Taste of Honey 6/10
  3. Scola: Romanzo di un giovane povero 6/10
  4. Poppe: A Thousand Times Good Night 6/10
  5. Kotcheff: First Blood 9/10
  6. Newmeyer: Grandma’s Boy 8/10
  7. Taylor: For Heaven’s Sake 8/10
  8. Altman: The Long Goodbye 10/10
  9. Herzog: Even Dwarfs Started Small 9/10
  10. Herzog: Heart of Glass 7/10
1 Like

So good.

1 Like

Zero-Dark-Thirty-Netflix-810x456

Zero Dark Thirty (2012, Kathryn Bigelow)
:star::star::star:

It took me a while to get to this movie. I’m not a fan of faction (fiction about facts) movies set in recent war zones. As a viewer I need some historic and philosophical distance to what’s happening on-screen. But last week I stumbled upon a cheap copy of this movie (and the director’s The Hurt Locker, which I had not watched either) so I decided to give it a try

Don’t know what to think of it really, Jessica Chastain is terrific and Jason Clarke is also very convincing, but this ‘greatest manhunt in history for the world’s most dangerous man’ (Osama Bin Laden in case you didn’t get it) takes an awful lot of time - on-screen as well as in real life - and there’s not much tension until the last thirty minutes or so (which are, admittedly, suspenseful, even if you know what was going to happen). The movie is nearly free from patriotic or xenophobic sentiments (which could have hurt its effect), but at the same time it feels a bit cold and clinical, as if director Bigelow was afraid to show any emotions.

Note:
According to the director, the title Zero Dark Thirty is a military term for 30 minutes after midnight, and also refers to the darkness and secrecy of the decade-long mission.

1 Like

Last night I watched Triple Frontier, starring Ben Affleck.

The movie is about 5 former Special Forces members about to kill and rob a Mexican drug lord. Some of of them do it rather reluctantly, but the perspective of a better life without financial trouble is too luring.

Sounds like a Chuck Norris movie, but it’s well-acted and has a lot more to tell than the plot says.

It’s an action film, but it convincingly shows how minor failures and greed lead to a fatal end.

Pretty much my thoughts. I liked The Hurt Locker a lot more.

1 Like

I’ll watch that one soon, and will let you all know what I think of it, of course

1 Like

For me the other way round.

I was somehow disappointed by The Hurt Locker (6/10), and positively surprised by Zero Dark Thirty (9/10).

Onibaba (Shindo, 1964) - 4.5/5
Raging Bull (Scorsese, 1980) - 4/5
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (Weine, 1920) - 5/5
Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941) - 5/5
Dirty Work (Saget, 1998) - 4/5
Full Metal Jacket (Kubrick, 1987) - 4/5
Scarface (De Palma, 1983) - 3/5
Casablanca (Curtiz, 1942) - 5/5
Zulu (Endfield, 1964) - 3.5/5
The Red Shoes (Powell/Pressburger, 1948) - 4/5
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer, 1928) - 4/5
Il Conformisto (Bertolucci, 1970) - 3.5/5
Suspiria (2018, Guadagnino) - ???

2 Likes

I would say I reacted in the same way to Zero Dark Thirty (5/10) as scherp did. Emotionally or dramatically clinical, sterile, a very cold movie. It did not do much for me for the most part. With that being said, I must admit it’s a technically impressive film, visually very engaging and has some very memorable moments such as the one in which Jessica Chastain’s character waits for her chopper to come and her silhouette lines up against the dark blue sky, such a nice shot, I think it’s somewhere around the resolution, I’m not quite sure now, maybe I’m imagining things. Overall, I bet once you really get into the film, it’s a great watch. It hasn’t happened to me yet, maybe next time.

I can’t comment on or say much about The Hurt Locker (7/10) other than I simply found it to be a lot more fun to watch, nothing great though. I don’t remember much else. I’m not sure whether there are more jingoistic elements to it or how it feels technically-speaking, I’d have to revisit it so as to elaborate.

???

I’m cleansing myself by screening Shoot the Living and Pray For the Dead on every device in the house simultaneously. Then again, when am I not doing that?

Watch out. I’ve recently bought 4 computer screens with the specific purpose of watching the movie on 4 of these guys at once. I had some trouble getting them all together to be in perfect sync, but I ultimately managed to do so and began to re-watch it again. After 15 minutes, I started foaming at my mouth and lost consciousness. So, look out, this film is potent, I think I have to wean myself from it for the time being and start watching other films, although I dread the whole prospect.

Seriously though, did you think it was that awful? I think Lone Gringo hated it too if I remember correctly which kind of makes me interested, it kind of makes me want to see it for myself

1 Like

No it’s not awful at all, I just failed miserably to see what the big deal was. The well choreographed dance scenes and Cronenberg body horror is nothing we haven’t seen before.

Oh and it’s at least half an hour too long.

Funny enought I have the similar feelings towards both movies, as Staton does.

I liked The Hurt Locker when it came out among my favourite films of the period, when I saw Zero Dark Thirty I found it not boring but long to put that way.

But after other viewings I changed my mind, I still like The Hurt Locker, but IMO Zero Dark Thirty is amore interesting film, in a way a better film.