The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

(Mickey13) #945

(The Man With a Name) #946

(Asa) #947

:+1:

(tomas) #948

Even great Michelle Lupo sold his soul to the Devil.

(tomas) #949

That actually might be fun.

(Sebastian) #950

Angel Heart. Now, for some reason I had never seen this before, and also I hadn’t ever read anything about it. So I bought the BluRay (shitty image quality, but OK) and watched it, and not only did it turn out not to be a De Niro gangster movie (my assumption), it was a film noir voodoo horror psycho trip. Wow…

(Asa) #951

Very good film, this. :+1:

(MMcG) #952

This is a long time favourite of mine!
Another older great movie with Mickey Rourke (& Kim Basinger) is ‘9 1/2 weeks’ - different genre.

(scherpschutter) #953

The Pink Panther (1963, Blake Edwards)
***½

The movie that turned the clumsy Clouseau into one of the world’s most famous detective inspectors. Two other things that have become part of the cultural legacy of mankind, are the theme music by Henry Mancini and the animated credit sequence featuring the pink panther. Oddly enough Peter Sellers did not receive top-billing as Clouseau (David Niven did as the jewelry thief knick-named The Phantom), but audiences definitely wanted to see more Sellers and more Clouseau, so he would become the central character of the various sequels.

Is the film still as enjoyable as it used to be? Well, not an easy question. It’s a movie from a different era and some of it has dated. The first half is slow-moving with several sequences needlessly drawn-out. Moreover we’ve become too familiar with the clumsy character to enjoy some of Sellers’ routines. But the pace picks up in the second half and the finale, with the costume party and the subsequent chase scene in costume through the streets of Rome, is a hoot. And yes, some of Sellers’ routines may have lost their effectiveness, but his facial expressions and the use of franglish are priceless

Io Sono L’Amore (2009, Luca Guadagnino)

A romantic drama, set in aristocratic circles. Tilda Swindon is Emma, a middle aged woman of Russian origin who married the oldest son of Milanese textile tycoon. During a family reunion - to celebrate the birthday of the patriarch and founder of the family business - all sorts of announcements are made and Emma feels attracted to a much younger man, a friend/colleague of her own son.

According to Guadagnino the central theme of the movie is ‘desire’ and Io Sono L’Amore was presented as the first part of a so-called ‘Desire Trilogy’ (the other two parts are The Protagonists and the recent Call Me by Your Name). I’m not sure what to think of it. Guadagnino is certainly one of the more interesting contemporary film makers and Io Sono L’Amore is beautifully made and well-acted (especially by Swindon), but it also feels a little cold and clinical, in spite of all these great emotions and perturbations (all at once everything seems to go wrong within the family).

The patriarch is played by 84-year old Gabriele Ferzetti, known to all western fans as Mr. Choo Choo from another Italian movie

Brassed Off (1996, Mark Herman)

A lovely comedy drama. Set against the background of the closure of a coalmine in Yorkshire, it paints the fortunes and misfortunes of a colliery brass band. The band has reached the semi-finals of a national contest, but when it is decided that the mine will be closed - and their band leader falls ill and is taken to hospital - the members debate on whether they should continue playing. Things are further complicated by the return of a young woman to her hometown; she plays the flugelhorn and is therefore welcomed by the musicians (and soon becomes romantically involved with one of them) but then it is discovered that she has a hidden agenda …

The late Pete Postlethwaite is brilliant as the band leader and Stephen Tombkinson (some will know him as D.C. I. Banks) is nearly as good as his troubled son, who’s is debt and risks to lose everything, including his family. An immense pleasure to watch. Often funny, but also a bit painful from time to time. It loses half a star due to a predictable, slightly preachy ending (as if we didn’t get the message without it!). The music is fantastic.

(Wilco Vedder) #954

Very good picture indeed. Is on my re-watch list

mid-
El caminante (The Traveller) 1979–Enjoyed this one quite a bit which surprised me, well…can’t go wrong with Paul Naschy.

To the Devil a Daughter (1976) Not bad, good cast but it could have been better though.

poster_opt
Die Screaming Marianne (1971) Mildly enjoyed this one, had to consume a few beers to finish this off.

poster_opt
Enter the Devil (1972) This was better than i expected, it had that low budget feel to it but it still managed to entertain.

(Asa) #956

Last ten days or so:
Finding Nemo (Stanton, 2003) :star::star::star::star:
WALL-E (Stanton, 2008) :star::star::star::star:
Greg Davies Live: The Back of My Mum’s Head (Davies/Kirkby, 2013) :star::star:
Scratch (Pray, 2001) :star::star::star::star:
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (McKay, 2004) :star::star::star::star:
The Yakuza (Pollack, 1974) :star::star::star:
Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2001) :star::star::star::star:
The Incredibles (Bird, 2004) :star::star::star::star:
Deadpool 2 (Leitch, 2018) :star::star::star:
Ice Sharks (Smith, 2016) :star::star:
3-Headed Shark Attack (Ray, 2015) :star::star:
Amores Perros (Iñárritu, 2000) :star::star::star::star:
In the Loop (Iannucci, 2009) :star::star::star:
Mystic River (Eastwood, 2003) :star::star::star::star:
No Country For Old Men (Coen/Coen, 2007) :star::star::star::star:
The Passion of the Christ (Gibson, 2004) :star::star::star:
The Manchurian Candidate (Demme, 2004) :star::star::star::star:
Sharknado (Ferrante, 2013) :star::star::star:
Sharknado 2: The Second One (Ferrante, 2014) :star::star::star:
Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! (Ferrante, 2015) :star::star:
Sharknado 4: The 4th Awakens (Ferrante, 2016) :star::star:
Memento (Nolan, 2000) :star::star::star::star:
The Departed (Scorsese, 2006) :star::star::star::star:
The Animatrix (Morimoto/Watanabe/Maeda/Chung/Jones/Kawajiri/Koike, 2003) :star::star::star::star:
Zodiac (Fincher, 2007) :star::star::star::star:
Grindhouse (Rodriguez/Tarantino, 2007) :star::star::star::star::star:
The Mist (Darabont, 2007) :star::star::star::star:
The Prestige (Nolan, 2006) :star::star::star::star:
Donnie Darko (Kelly, 2001) :star::star::star:
Frailty (Paxton, 2001) :star::star::star::star:
The Bourne Supremacy (Greengrass, 2004) :star::star::star::star:

(scherpschutter) #957

Just watched the trailer, wtf …

(Asa) #958

They’re very silly films, and they get progressively sillier but, as far as those daft Asylum/SyFy shark films go, they’re about the best of them. And they ARE quite fun, if you take them at face value as the crap that they are. I saw the four-film DVD set in HMV for £7, thought, “Why not?”, and my son and I pulled an all-nighter on Thursday and made a “Sharknadothon” out of it. Which I think is the best way to approach these movies. :+1:

(Bill san Antonio) #959
  1. Suzuki: Kutabare akutô-domo - Tantei jimusho 23
  2. Gibney: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (D)
  3. Chomet: L’illusioniste
  4. Harris: Appaloosa
  5. Herzog: My Best Fiend (D)
  6. Wellman: Public Enemy
  7. Mc Carey: Duck Soup
  8. Valerii: My Name is Nobody
  9. Cipri: Come inguaiammo il cinema italiano - La vera storia di Franco e Ciccio (D)
  10. Leone: Once Upon a Time in the West

(Asa) #960

Terrific documentary, that. :+1:

(Wilco Vedder) #961

Hart’s war
Second world war movie with Bruce William and Colin Farell about a murder case in a POW camp. It reminded a bit of Sergeant Rutledge where the suspect also is a black person against a white society. Nice picture to watch.

(Wilco Vedder) #962

Wind river
I wanted to see this movie for the scenery and was not disapointed with that aspect. The story was soso bur overall okay. A pity they gave the clue away a bit top early.

(scherpschutter) #963

King Kong (2005, Peter Jackson)

Not an update, like the 1976 version, but virtually a remake of the 1933 original, set in the same era, the Great Depression, telling a similar story about a troubled film maker and his crew who travel to a remote island where they meet a King called Kong. A few minor chances were made to the storyline and there’s more interaction between the ape and the girl; instead of screaming her heart out, she seduces him with kind gestures and a sexy dance.

Of course the film is far more expensive than the original, and much, much bigger, but no, it’s not better. Overall it’s a good-looking picture with superior special effects, but it’s terribly overlong and you never feel connected to what’s happening on the screen. An empty spectacle, a sort of playground attraction brought to the screen. Some of the scenes with the girl and the ape are a bit laughable, but the finale on top of the Empire State Building is very well done

De Reünie (The Reunion - 2015, Menno Meyjes)
**½

An adaptation of a popular Dutch novel in the thriller genre. Recovered from a burnout, a young woman tries to pick up her life, but an encounter with a former schoolmate brings back some painful memories of her teenage years in a seaside resort. Her best friend, an attractive girl with a hazardous, even provocative lifestyle disappeared without leaving a trace. Was she killed? Does this former schoolmate know more about the case?

Expectations were high but the film didn’t do well at the box-office and critical reactions were mixed. Most critics praised Daantje Idelenburg’s performance (as the girl who went missing) but thought the plot was muddled and the script wavering. Major letdown is the half-open ending (we get an explanation, but do not know for sure it is the right one). Not too bad, but not great either.

Terminator 2 (1991, James Cameron)
***½

I saw it in cinema back then, and never went back to it, because I thought it was less intriguing and fascinating than the original terminator movie. The first one was a mean, lean action flick with Arnold Schwarzenegger perfectly cast as a murderous cyborg. In the second they had turned Arnie into a ‘good one’. A good terminator, how was that supposed to work? Furthermore they had sugared the story-telling a little and added a irritatingly cute kid to the cast.

Okay, I still don’t like the sugar-coating, but James Cameron sure knows how to create awe-inspiring action moments and his movie offers the desired thrills. And if the kid is too cute, Robert Patrick is deliciously sinister as T-1000, the advanced robotic killer composed of liquid metal. If only they had tightened it a bit. those Cameron movies seem to go on forever and ever (and ever) and after the umpteenth shootout, chase scene or narrow escape, you start feeling a bit groggy, as if you had one glass (or punch) too many … Hasta la vista (baby)

2005 King Kong was divided into 3 parts, pre-island, island,and post-island(NYC). I would have loved it with just the island part. The movie under-performed at the box office IMO due to its well-publicized three hour length. Three hours is a commitment. Two hours, most people can handle.