The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

Mad max: Fury road
Mad max is sometimes described as a futuristic western. This reboot is one long chase and I liked the movie.

Sahara
2005 movie with Matthew McConaughey. Nice entertainment but not more than that.

Jason Bourne
Catched up with the latest one out of the series and certainly not the best one. Hope this concludes the Bourne franchise.

1 Like

download

Last night: Hereditary (Aster, 2018)

Annie (Toni Collette, The Sixth Sense) is an artist. She constructs dollhouse-sized dioramas of important incidents from her own life. She lives with her husband (a largely muted, almost incidental Gabriel Byrne, The Usual Suspects) and their teenage kids, son Peter (Alex Wolf, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle) and daughter Charlie (newcomer Milly Shapiro). Peter is your average teenage doofus. Nice guy, likes to hang out, get high once in a while, think almost constantly about girls. Charlieā€¦ well, sheā€™s a little different. Quieter. On the autism spectrum, somewhere? Possibly. Probably. Sheā€™s creative like her mum, although with different outlets. She enjoys creating toy figures out of household bric-a-brac, drawing sketches of people screaming or in considerable distress, scissoring the heads off of dead pigeons so she can keep the head in her pocket and pet it from time to time, that sort of thing.

Annieā€™s mum has just died. It was expected, she was quite old, quite ill, et cetera. Annieā€™s struggling with this. Not in the traditional fashion though. She wants to be appropriately sad about it, to grieve as all of us do in these moments, and she does feel some sadness, someā€¦ regret, but not properly. As it transpires, she had had a fractious relationship with her mother for most of her life and had only become somewhat closer right at the end, when Annie and her family had become her motherā€™s main carers. Anyway, she goes through the motions, arranges the funeral, gives a suitably deferential eulogy, yada yada, and thatā€™s that. Bye, mum.

I mean, thatā€™s not that, of course. The death of nanna has hit Charlie quite hard and sheā€™s exhibiting increasingly strange behaviour. And, less than a week later, the funeral directors call Steve to tell him that nannaā€™s grave has been desecrated. Maybe best not to tell Annie that right now. Sheā€™s busy pressing Peter to take Charlie to a house party to which heā€™s been invited, to get her out of herself, cheer her up. He doesnā€™t especially want to drag his oddbod sister to a party where thereā€™ll be drugs and chicks but what can you do when your mum puts her foot down?

Now, it sounds as though Iā€™m cutting this review off in mid-flow terribly inelegantly but to say any more would be to spoil the movie. But, very soon, nannaā€™s passing will be by far the least harrowing thing happening to this family.

Hereditary, from first-time director Ari Aster, is an incredibly measured and deliberately paced picture. An air of menace pervades everything but it moves at a crawl for the first ninety minutes, with only a small handful of jolts to the senses smattered throughout (although at least one is a humdinger which changes the tone of the movie from ā€œbleakā€ to ā€œpitch fucking blackā€ in an instant). Iā€™ve seen a few reviews likening Hereditary to The Exorcist - I think one is even given space on the trailer - but the careful, square framing of each scene - designed to mirror the dollshouse dioramas Annie is creating - combined with the fantastic sound design put me more in mind of The Shining. Toni Colletteā€™s performance is receiving a lot of praise and itā€™s all justified. She has a face which looks ready to grieve and to scream and Hereditary affords her the opportunity to do plenty of both. This is a very slow-build picture for the most part but it ramps up in the last half hour to an intensity which was drawing gasps from the cinema audience and even a few misplaced titters, possibly as a means of release. In fact it could be argued that the movie takes a swan-dive off the deep end of reality and goes completely fucking bonkers. Iā€™d just say that, for me, it hit the spot.

If you liked The Witch and, perhaps more pertinently, The Blackcoatā€™s Daughter (both of which were also brought to us courtesy of Hereditaryā€™s production company A24), youā€™ll love this. If youā€™re after a jump-scare laden thrillride, this is not that picture at all. Itā€™s my favourite movie of the year so far.

3 Likes

Sounds worth a try

Dead Again (1991) - 4/10 - A supposedly Hitchcockian fantasy thriller that is not all that interesting in my view and towards the end, it gets gratuitously stupid with its lame attempt to be more action-driven than it needs to be. I guess the acting was okay and the direction isnā€™t all that bad, but itā€™s not my thing I guess. It endeavors to be this kinda-sorta whodunit with a silent-era splendor thrown in there, but it just looks naive.

White Sands (1992) - 7/10 - More of a low-key neo noir, but at the same time, itā€™s got that early nineties vibe going on there and the white desert, where some of the action takes place, makes for a stunning location that significantly enhances the movieā€™s memorability. Dafoe is excellent in the role of a righteous, but also artful sheriff who tries to get out of a jam. Performances by Samuel L. Jackson as well as Mickey Rourke ainā€™t bad at all either. Lots of double-crossings and shenanigans. Overall a very decent flick.

Breakdown (1997) - 6/10 - Most of the time, itā€™s pretty goddamn excellent, but it unfortunately turns into this nonsensical actioner in the second half. Later down the road, it regrettably endeavors to tap into the common set of action bromides. The film should have stayed grim, minimal and menacing. I guess the action part potentially mightā€™ve rendered the film more viable commercially, but at the end of the day, once the kabooms came into sight, it ceased to be this gripping study of terror, lost most of its credibility, which had made it interesting in the first place, and turned into this nonsensical porridge of a pop-culture thriller. A bit of a missed opportunity there IMO.

Unlawful Entry (1992) - 8/10 - A very nice one. The thing that distinguishes it from a legion of similar thrillers is its emphasis on the psychological motives of its characters. I really like the portrayal of the cop on the edge by Ray Liotta who really hits it out of the park with his performance here. The entire cast is very good, but letā€™s be honest, at the end of the day, itā€™s his movie. I guess you could say that the film is rather schlocky in its approach to the subject matter and pursues rather obvious thematical motifs most of this kind of shockers tend to aim for, but the way itā€™s all presented is pretty quality all around.

Bad Dreams (1988) - 2/10 - A total trainwreck of a movie. There are practically no redeeming qualities about this one. Everything ranging from the script, the acting, the narrative, the pacingā€¦ literally everything sucks. It feels overlong despite being only 80 minutes long and most of the turnabouts the film has to offer are so cliched it is mind-numbing. The comedic parts are unfunny, the scary parts are not scary. Itā€™s just pure trash and a badly concocted A Nightmare on Elm Street rip-off.

The Man Who Sleeps (1974) - 9/10 - A re-watch.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974) - 6/10 - The movie feels remarkably schizophrenic in the sense that it combines a lot of elements from both buddy and heist genres, never truly becoming one or the other. The chemistry between Eastwood and Bridges is uncannily good, but the remainder of the flick just feels bland and the execution of the robbery feels somewhat inert and outdated by todayā€™s standards. Itā€™s watchable mostly by virtue of Bridgesā€™s and Eastwoodā€™s performances.

Hardware (1990) - 3/10 - I donā€™t get this one to be honest. I mostly love style-over-substance flicks and can appreciate all-style-no-substance affairs, but this thing here just doesnā€™t get me excited all that much. I guess when it comes to a low-budgeted Sci-Fi of this sort, Iā€™d rather watch Split Second rather than this thing here. Not that that movie had much more story to tell, it was totally bonkers to be perfectly honest, but all the gore, cheese nā€™ sleaze in Hardware is over-the-top and all over the place insofar as it becomes truly distracting and kind of annoying.

A Breed Apart (1984) - 6/10 - A nice little adventure flick. Nothing that unusual about it, but the locations and the acting made this sufficiently worthwhile for a viewing. I found Kathleen Turner to be incredibly annoying though.

Lady Beware (1987) - 6/10 - Another low-budgeted neo noir and itā€™s a neat one. You can obviously sense that the film crew didnā€™t have much money at their disposal, but they did fine I guess. The portrayal of stalking is the best thing about the venture and the actor playing the part of the stalker does a good job at being a creep. The movie couldā€™ve been truncated at several points and it does feel somewhat protracted on a couple of occasions, but nothing too bad.

The Mean Season (1985) - 7/10 - An underrated little thriller. The story is about a reporter that is regularly contacted by a serial killer terrorizing the city of Miami and gets sucked into the spiral of lunacy. It gets really interesting because the reporter played by Russell becomes more participatory in the events than he is willing to admit and subsequently regrets having been involved in the whole matter altogether. The fantastic performance by Richard Jordan also make this one a gripping viewing and the persona of the killer himself is a very interesting and intriguing one. Highly recommended.

Third Degree Burn (1989) - 7/10 - A John Dahl-ish exercise in neo noir, not as good, but it definitely serves as a neat form of entertainment. I guess it works so well because of the nice direction by Spottiswoode and excellent performances by Williams and Madsen. Itā€™s too bad Treat Williams never gained any considerable recognition because heā€™s hell of an actor IMO and had all the charisma in the world to take on some of the more badass roles. The resolution is rather foreseeable, but it is all kept together by the satisfactory execution.

Down Twisted (1987) - 3/10 - I mean, itā€™s another Cannon movie, it looks like one, it feels like one, therefore it is one? I was brought round by the high IMDb rating to give this one a shot andā€¦ wellā€¦ itā€™s a Cannon film. There is nothing exceptional about it and I found it to be a complete bore. Stuff happens, but itā€™s all put together in a distinctively shoddy way youā€™d expect from a film of this stature. I was hoping it would turn into something akin to The Warriors (1979) or Streets of Fire (1984), but wellā€¦ itā€™s shit. I mean I donā€™t know. Perhaps the film is this diamond in the rough and I merely fail to see its grandeur because of my inability to decipher its latent meanings and shit. Perhaps. The IMDb rating is really skewed though, no idea how it got such a stellar rating from the community of people there. Donā€™t be fooled. Itā€™s a regular fucking Cannon film, donā€™t make a mistake of wasting your time on this one.

1 Like

One of my scifi favorites, no kidding. Somehow Iā€™m totally in that creative space together with Richard Stanley. I also like Split Second, but obviously for different reasons.

2 Likes

I do get why some people really like this one, cosā€™ I also shouldā€™ve enjoyed this one, I did not though, couldnā€™t get into it at all. Itā€™s got all the elements that are right up my alley, but itā€™s too edgy, too over-the-top for me and feels kinda messy, like there is too much of everything going on.

Last ten days:
Mallrats (Smith, 1995) :star::star::star:
Waiting For Guffman (Guest, 1997) :star::star::star::star:
Killing Zoe (Avary, 1993) :star::star::star:
Lights Out (Sandberg, 2016) :star::star::star:
Dumb and Dumber (Farrelly, 1994) :star::star::star:
Schindlerā€™s List (Spielberg, 1993) :star::star::star::star:
Heat (Mann, 1995) :star::star::star::star:
Desperado (Rodriguez, 1995) :star::star::star:
Groundhog Day (Ramis, 1993) :star::star::star::star:
Dances With Wolves (Costner, 1990) :star::star::star:
To Die For (Van Sant, 1995) :star::star::star:
The Quick and the Dead (Raimi, 1995) :star::star::star:
Hereditary (Aster, 2018) :star::star::star::star:
Ninja Scroll (Kawajiri, 1993) :star::star::star::star:
Trainspotting (Boyle, 1996) :star::star::star:
Cape Fear (Scorsese, 1991) :star::star::star:
Pi (Aronofsky, 1998) :star::star::star::star:
Toy Story 2 (Lasseter, 1999) :star::star::star::star:
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (Judge, 1996) :star::star::star:
From Dusk Till Dawn (Rodriguez, 1996) :star::star::star:
The Silence of the Lambs (Demme, 1991) :star::star::star::star:
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Cameron, 1991) :star::star::star:
Ring (Nakata, 1998) :star::star::star:
It Comes at Night (Schults, 2017) :star::star::star::star:
Dogma (Smith, 1999) :star::star::star:
Carlitoā€™s Way (De Palma, 1993) :star::star::star::star:
Cop Land (Mangold, 1997) :star::star::star::star:
The Belko Experiment (McLean, 2016) :star::star::star:
Very Bad Things (Berg, 1998) :star::star::star::star:
American History X (Kaye, 1998) :star::star::star::star:
Bound (Wachowski/Wachowski, 1996) :star::star::star:
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (Ƙvredal, 2016) :star::star::star:
Falling Down (Schumacher, 1993) :star::star::star::star:
The Green Mile (Darabont, 1999) :star::star::star::star:
Leon (Besson, 1994) :star::star::star::star:

Two-thirds of the way through my ā€œNinety From the '90sā€ June challenge.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s inhuman :slight_smile:

Hi Last.caress

Where do you find the time to watch 35 films in 10 days :open_mouth:

I am glad if I can watch 2 movies in 1 week.

How is Beavis and Butt-Head Do America? I still have fond memories of the shorts they made for MTV when this station was fun to watch.

With great difficulty. :slightly_smiling_face:

a) lots of very late nights (I donā€™t sleep very well. I should be doing more to change that, not enable it. But, well, f*ck it)
b) No World Cup. Well, almost none. Two-and-a-bit matches, thatā€™s all Iā€™ve watched live.
c) Very little telly. At present I am literally only watching Westworld and nothing else. One hour of telly per week. I mean, the television is on for more time than that - my wife still watches some other bits and pieces (although mercifully she doesnā€™t watch any soap operas and the proliferation of summer sport on TV right now means sheā€™s not watching all that much more) - but, largely, thereā€™s time for at least one movie every day in the early evening, thereā€™s occasionally room for one more straight after and thereā€™s always room for one at bedtime (although Iā€™ll watch a couple if Iā€™m up).
d) I donā€™t have to sit and concentrate fully on a movie I own and have likely seen multiple times already so, as long as itā€™s on, it counts, even if Iā€™m cooking the dinner or vacuuming the house or carrying out any other function, or if we have friends over or whatever.

It IS stupid though. Too many. I love a movie challenge and a movie marathon and Iā€™ll happily pull an occasional all-nighter or weekender but three a day (and sometimes more if Iā€™m fitting in a newer movie) for what will be roughly a month-and-a-half by the end of June was just crackers. Calling it ā€œNinety From the '90sā€ seemed snappy at the time but itā€™s pinned me to a number. If Iā€™d called it ā€œMy Nineties Favouritesā€ or something I could miss a few if I couldnā€™t get them in but I canā€™t watch any less than 90 for a ā€œNinety From theā€™ 90sā€ challenge (I appreciate that itā€™s hardly as though Iā€™m contractually obliged or anything but it would just feel wrong to me now if I only watched, say, 87). Iā€™ve got ā€œBest of the '00sā€ and ā€œBest of theā€™ 10s (So Far)ā€ challenges set for myself over the next four months but Iā€™m going back to two per day and if I miss some, I miss some. Tbh though Iā€™ve enjoyed it anyway, even though Iā€™m unlikely to try it again over such a long period.

Itā€™s a bit dated now tbh but I loved it at the time so it retains a lot of nostalgia points for me. Beavis and Butt-Head was one of my favourite shows in the nineties (and indeed, I consider Mike Judgeā€™s follow-up show King of the Hill to be the finest animated sitcom ever made and one of the finest sitcoms ever of any kind). I thought it was a funny comedy and, more crucially, a bloody brilliant and eclectic music show.

Makes sense then. That is basically cheating :slight_smile: I understand that you only do that with movies you are familiar with but you arenā€™t watching them then. I canā€™t multitask at all. If I check my phone when a movie is on I have no idea what happens on the screen and often have to ā€˜rewindā€™. I donā€™t do as much re-watching as you do though so have to stay sharp to have any chance really :slight_smile:

1 Like

It counts, it counts! You say ā€œCheatingā€, I sayā€¦ um, ā€œGeneral Cinematic Ambienceā€, or ā€œMovies by Osmosisā€. So there. :grin:

Iā€™m more like you though with a movie I havenā€™t previously seen (if Iā€™m at home of course). Iā€™ll rewind anything I think Iā€™ve missed, I have subtitles on if theyā€™re available just to combat the possibility that a character might mumble a piece of vital exposition and I often have the movieā€™s Wikipedia page open (if there is one) and sat beside me in case itā€™s a particularly confusing piece and I need clarification on what I just saw.

1 Like

Haha. Movies by osmosis. That would be an awesome power. Imagine having Books by osmosis and having read 100 books just by passing a bookstore window.

I donā€™t like you have any reference books on hand when watching a movie but do enjoy reading the various pamphlets or booklets that accompany a lot of releases. Subtitles are always on as we often have to watch movies in the dark of the night when the kids are fast asleep :slight_smile:

1 Like

You need to get out more LC!:smile:

ā€œGet out moreā€? Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™m not familiar with the concept. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hmmm, now I understand why so many great flicks got such a low ratings from you. :smiley:

2 Likes

His ratings are a little erratic, yes. Maybe this is the reason why. On the other hand: it happens to me that I rewatch a movie - one that I used to like - and notice that I start wandering off after a while. A reason for me to take one or more stars away ā€¦

Yes, it happens. And it also happens that I rewatch after years some movie I didnā€™t like that much and realize itā€™s pretty good this time around. A reason for me to give it one or two stars moreā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s not so much that Iā€™m not paying attention - these are my movies, Iā€™m familiar enough with them for the most part - but what I have noticed is that in predetermining what movies Iā€™m going to watch and when, I might find that Iā€™m not quite in the right frame of mind for a particular movie on a particular day, and some movies really do require you to be in the correct headspace. Some movies suit Sunday afternoon a lot more than they suit, say, 2am on a Wednesday. You know? That type of thing is certainly proving a factor.

I remember watching Land of the Dead (Romero, 2005) when it first came out and finding it bitterly disappointing. Thought it was a pile of old crap. And, well, it is a pile of old crap, really. But I caught it quite by accident many years later on TV, on one of these backwater satellite stations like Movies4Men or The Horror Channel or SyFy or something, at about midnight on a Saturday. And suddenly, it was tremendous fun. It had found its home.

Thatā€™s definitely true. The opposite is true, too. Iā€™ve seen Dogma (Smith, 1999) many, many times - although Iā€™d not seen it for a good few years up until the other day - and Iā€™d long considered it to be one of my favourite pictures of its time, but this time I was struck by how flat most of it fell. It hasnā€™t changed, but I have I guess.

2 Likes