The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

KO4Bp2d

Star Wars:The Last Jedi (2017)-4.5/10
I literally fell asleep watching this latest Star Wars movie less than an hour into it. I tried keeping up with the story, but it was just too much unintelligible gibberish.

Last couple of weeks:
Two-Lane Blacktop (Hellman, 1971) :star::star::star::star:
Solaris (Tarkovsky, 1972) :star::star::star::star:
Carry On Cleo (Thomas, 1964) :star::star::star::star:
Friday Foster (Marks, 1975) :star::star::star:
Harakiri (Kobayashi, 1962) :star::star::star::star:
Today itā€™s Meā€¦ Tomorrow itā€™s You! (Cervi, 1968) :star::star::star::star:
Airplane! (Zucker/Zucker/Abrahams, 1980) :star::star::star:
If You Meet Sartana, Pray For Your Death (Parolini, 1968) :star::star::star::star:
SiREN (Bishop, 2016) :star::star:
On Her Majestyā€™s Secret Service (Hunt, 1969) :star::star::star::star:
Annihilation (Garland, 2018) :star::star::star::star:
The Great Silence (Corbucci, 1968) :star::star::star::star:
The Disaster Artist (Franco, 2017) :star::star::star::star:
The Theory of Everything (Marsh, 2014) :star::star::star:
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (Meyer, 1965) :star::star::star::star:
Planet of the Apes (Schaffner, 1968) :star::star::star::star:
Dr. No (Young, 1962) :star::star::star::star:
Cars 3 (Fee, 2017) :star::star::star::star:
Cemetery Without Crosses (Hossein, 1969) :star::star::star::star:
The Birds (Hitchcock, 1963) :star::star::star::star:
Hell or High Water (Mackenzie, 2016) :star::star::star::star:
Goldfinger (Hamilton, 1964) :star::star::star::star:

Watched about 3/4 of Jigsaw, and can confirm it is a fucking dung heap.
A heap of dung.

I added two reviews to my Blog over the last couple of days, of comedy movies that I saw - and liked - when i was still very young. Always nice to check if the old jokes are still as funny as they used to be:

Last 10

1. Bergman: The Serpentā€™s Egg
  2. Leone: For a Few Dollars More
  3. Jodorowsky: Tusk
  4. Nguyen: David Lynch: The Art Life (D)
  5. Feuillade: FantĆ“mas I: ƀ lā€™ombre de la guillotine
  6. Feuillade: FantƓmas II: Juve contre FantƓmas
  7. Feuillade: FantƓmas III: Le Mort Qui Tue
  8. Lynch: Elephant Man
  9. Polanski: Fearless Vampire Killers
  10. KaurismƤki: The Other Side of Hope

Last ten days:
The Graduate (Nichols, 1967) :star::star::star::star:
The Death of Stalin (Iannucci, 2017) :star::star::star:
The Exterminator (Glickenhaus, 1980) :star::star::star:
Looper (Johnson, 2012) :star::star::star:
Death Rides a Horse (Petroni, 1967) :star::star::star::star:
Hell House LLC (Cognetti, 2016) :star::star::star:
Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968) :star::star::star::star:
The Manchurian Candidate (Frankenheimer, 1962) :star::star::star::star:
Django Killā€¦ If You Live, Shoot (Questi, 1967) :star::star::star::star:
Pyewacket (MacDonald, 2017) :star::star::star:
2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968) :star::star::star::star::star:
Ricky Gervais Live V: Humanity (Spencer, 2018) :star::star:
Requiescant (Lizzani, 1967) :star::star::star::star:
War For the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) :star::star::star::star:
The Big Gundown (Sollima, 1966) :star::star::star::star:
Pulp Fiction (Tarantino, 1994) :star::star::star::star::star:
The Wild Bunch (Peckinpah, 1969) :star::star::star::star::star:
Justice League: War (Oliva, 2014) :star::star::star:
For a Few Dollars More (Leone, 1965) :star::star::star::star::star:
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Leone, 1966) :star::star::star::star::star:
Planet of the Sharks (Atkins, 2016) :star::star:

mid
The Full Treatment (1960) 6,5/10

mid
Blanche Fury (1948) 6/10

mid
A Lady Without a Passport (1950) 6/10

mid
Secrets of a French Maid (1980) 5.5/10

mid
The Black Duke (1963) 5/10

V1_SY1000_CR0,0,681,1000_AL
The Vengeance of Pancho Villa (1967) 4.5/10

The latest I watched was My Name Is Nobody, being the tenth entry in my Spaghetti Western marathon. Right now, Iā€™m watching The Big Gundown. I havenā€™t seen this one in at least ten years.

1. Garland: Annihilation
  2. Feuillade: FantƓmas IV: FantƓmas contre FantƓmas
  3. Feuillade: FantƓmas V: Le Faux Magistra
  4. Kasssila: Komisario Palmun erehdys
  5. Leone: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  6. Logan: Paint Your Wagon
  7. Waters: Female Trouble
  8. Kubrick: 2001 Space Odyssey
  9. Laloux: Fantastic Planet
  10. Weir: Picnic at Hanging Rock

Watched this one recently and enjoyed it.

Not sure what genre it fits really. Kind of giallo but not really.
One thing I am sure of is that Kent cigarettes put up some cash for product placement. Analia Gade must have smoked a hundred of them in an hour and a half. J&B eat your heart out.

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/Lusty_Lovers/BluRay

I went back in time, to the year 1969, when I was too young to see this movie in cinema but went to see it anyway ā€¦ and didnā€™t understand what it was about

Iā€™ve always liked it for what it was. Not into the hippie-dippy stuff, but enjoyed the movie anyway.

The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989) - 7/10 - A nice little actioner. Itā€™s mostly about kabooms and shootouts, but the kabooms in questions are very well made and the action sequences are pretty well edited and staged. The propagandistic element is there all right (the great American army fighting against all the odds), but itā€™s all fairly subtle and not that bothersome.

Platoon Leader (1988) - 2/10 - An absolutely abominable flick. It is supposed to be somewhat better than most of the stuff brought to you by The Cannon Group, nevertheless, the things that allegedly distinguish it from other low-budgeted films of its kind - the poignancy and the dramatic nature of it - constitute the main problem I have with the movie. Under normal circumstances, a more serious tone in a movie makes things interesting, generally speaking, but in the case of Platoon Leader, all dramatic scenes are very badly made and this is precisely why all this is so cringy and obnoxious. The leading actor overacts in such a remarkably painful way (pardon me the expression, but he acts as though he was mentally challenged most of the time) that itā€™s hard to take anything seriously. To add insult to injury, the narrative is completely out of focus, the direction is as paltry as it can get (yeah, letā€™s use slow-mo just about everywhere, that will definitely work) and to be honest, making your way through the entirety of the running time can prove to be quite an ordeal. Admittedly, there was one prepossessing action scene involving an attack helicopter, but thatā€™s about it. It was dreadfully tedious in my view.

I tried to watch it once, couldnā€™t really get into it. The propaganda? I donā€™t remember exactly, will have to try again.

I tried to watch it once, couldnā€™t really get into it.

I cracked a beer while watching the film, might have helped. Just sayinā€™.

The propaganda? I donā€™t remember exactly, will have to try again.

I may have phrased it erroneously. What I meant by it is that the film still endeavors to endow the Vietnam war in general with some higher meaning, asserting that the bravery of the American military should not be forgotten even if the war itself might have been a big fiasco and a mistake. You could deem it as a patriotic message of sorts. You know, the movie attempts to showcase the audacity of that gung-ho chopper pilot as well as the intrepidity of the marine while simultaneously encapsulating the futility of the fought war and the inevitability of the defeat. Likewise, it emphasizes that the so-called war against communism is just a vague term that does not necessarily correspond with the reality, since most of the insurgents have never heard of Karl Marx in their entire life and they simply fight for their freedom and independence.

When I say propagandistic here, I donā€™t mean it in the usual, pejorative sense. I was trying to refer to the general trait many American war dramas have in the sense that they virtually invariably pay tribute to the US military. You could label it as American cinematic patriotism for a lack of a better term. On the whole, this characteristic sometimes gets on my nerves, as it frequently feels somewhat disingenuous. In the context of The Siege of Firebase Gloria, I was praising the movie for not being overzealous about it and focusing on the action sequences, which in my view worked out pretty well, rather than some high-brow, pretentious war moralism, if you get the drift of what Iā€™m driving at.

1 Like

JH5PNp8
** Spinning Man (2018)** 5/10

Just finished watching this, since i had nothing to do this Sunday afternoon.

So, after reading the plot: ( A happily married professor, known for having many affairs with students, becomes the prime suspect when a young woman has gone missing. ) i thought it sounded interesting, so i give it a spin. Well, unfortunately this turned out to be a lame, talky and slow thriller that failed to deliver. But, itā€™s worth checking it out mainly for the talented cast though.

" You spin me right round, baby right round like a record, baby right round round round, you spin me right round round round, baby "

Heh,ā€¦ i need a beer.

Mrs. Soffel (1984) - 5/10 - A movie about a prison wardenā€™s wife that takes off with one of prisoners. The synopsis sounds promising, but the film itself somehow manages to feel cumbersome, protracted and oddly vapid on multiple occasions. Itā€™s not a bad flick though, itā€™s only that the rendition and the script sort of lack any vigor to transcend their limitations, whatever that means. The main reason why I watched it though was the soundtrack by Mark Isham. As always, he doesnā€™t disappoint and skillfully blends classical piano passages with glossy, electronic arpeggios.

Dreamscape (1984) - 6/10 - A nice cheesy thriller about the government experiment revolving around psychics who are deployed to enter and influence other peopleā€™s dreams. While the movie itself is admittedly nothing special, it is greatly aided by some pretty nice visuals and a taut script that never really drifts off course. People interested in lucid dreaming might be particularly interested. The score by Maurice Jarre was merely okay.

Last ten days:
The Passion of the Christ (Gibson, 2004) :star::star::star::star:
The French Connection (Friedkin, 1971) :star::star::star::star:
Electra Glide in Blue (Guercio, 1973) :star::star::star::star:
The Void (Gillespie/Kostanski, 2016) :star::star:
Predator 2 (Hopkins, 1990) :star::star::star:
Barry Lyndon (Kubrick, 1975) :star::star::star::star:
Chinatown (Polanski, 1974) :star::star::star:
The Fog (Carpenter, 1980) :star::star::star:
The Omen (Donner, 1976) :star::star::star:
Straw Dogs (Peckinpah, 1971) :star::star::star:
Diamonds Are Forever (Hamilton, 1971) :star::star::star:
The Spy Who Loved Me (Gilbert, 1977) :star::star::star:
Shark Night (Ellis, 2011) :star::star::star:
Blade of the Immortal (Miike, 2017) :star::star::star::star:
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (Altman, 1971) :star::star::star:
Play Misty For Me (Eastwood, 1971) :star::star::star:
The Godfather (Coppola, 1972) :star::star::star::star:
The Godfather part II (Coppola, 1974) :star::star::star::star:
Assault on Precinct 13 (Carpenter, 1976) :star::star::star::star:
Serpico (Lumet, 1973) :star::star::star::star:
Have a Good Funeral, My Friendā€¦ Sartana Will Pay (Carnimeo, 1970) :star::star::star:
Sheba, Baby (Girdler, 1975) :star::star::star:
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx (Misumi, 1972) :star::star::star::star:
Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Herzog, 1972) :star::star::star::star::star:
Fata Morgana (Herzog, 1971) :star::star::star:

My self-imposed ā€œFavourites From the 60ā€™sā€ March movie viewing challenge has given way to a ā€œSuper Sights of the 70ā€™sā€ challenge through April, and Iā€™ve upped the commitment to two movies per day (in addition of course to the occasional non-70ā€™s picture here and there, just because I fancy them). Seems like a lot, but on the other hand Iā€™ll be upping the stakes further midway through next month to three films per day in order to facilitate my ā€œ80 From the 80ā€™sā€ movie challenge throughout May, a ratio Iā€™ll be attempting to maintain all the way through June too for my ā€œ90 From the 90ā€™sā€ challenge.

Youā€™re a mental

1 Like

Three out of five? I rewatched it a while ago and must admit it was not as good as I thought it was. So yes, 3/5 sounds reasonable

1 Like