The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

It’s a French/belgian movie, if I’m not mistaken, so the original version will most likely be in French

Definitely. It just so visual and there’s so little dialogue that it can be understood in any language. After the 10 minute mark there is hardly any speech/dialogue for the rest of the movie.

Last 3:

Eraserhead - (on blu) still plays like a bad dream and the fellow I watched it with found it so disturbing he left before the end. The student-film budget is evident in a few of the home-brewed special effects which bring a bit of light relief.

Godzilla - Criterion blu of original Japanese version. First Godzilla I’ve seen, and probably the last, but I was not disappointed. A film with a purpose, both as response to and meditation on the Nagasaki and Hiroshima horrors and continued nuclear bomb testing. Interesting interviews, including the actor who helped make Godzilla fearful and sympathetic.

Ran - not seen this since its release in '85. Beautiful remastered blu from Studio Canal captures Kurosawa’s magnificent colours. Epic picture, felt like 3 hours (didn’t check) but engaging and resonant.

Last ten days:
You Were Never Really Here (Ramsay, 2018) :star::star::star::star:
Shrek (Adamson, 2001) :star::star::star:
Gone Baby Gone (Affleck, 2007) :star::star::star::star:
The Wrestler (Aronofsky, 2008) :star::star::star::star:
From Hell (Hughes/Hughes, 2001) :star::star::star:
Dig! (Timoner, 2004) :star::star::star::star:
Snatch. (Ritchie, 2000) :star::star::star:
The Host (Bong, 2006) :star::star::star:
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (Kaneko, 2001) :star::star::star:
Light the Fuse… Sartana is Coming (Carnimeo, 1970) :star::star::star:
300 (Snyder, 2006) :star::star::star:
Road to Perdition (Mendes, 2002) :star::star::star:
The Night Eats the World (Rocher, 2018) :star::star:
Monsters, Inc. (Docter, 2001) :star::star::star:
Unbreakable (Shyamalan, 2000) :star::star::star:
13 Assassins (Miike, 2010) :star::star::star::star:
Spider-Man 2 (Raimi, 2004) :star::star::star:
Dawn of the Dead (Snyder, 2004) :star::star::star:
Gran Torino (Eastwood, 2008) :star::star::star:
Requiem For a Dream (Aronofsky, 2000) :star::star::star::star:
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (Charles, 2006) :star::star::star:
War of the Worlds (Spielberg, 2005) :star::star::star:
Anvil! The Story of Anvil (Gervasi, 2008) :star::star::star::star:
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny (Lynch, 2006) :star::star::star:

A third of the way through my “Favourites From the 2000s” challenge.

I was reluctant to hand Lynne Ramsay’s You Were Never Really Here five stars off the back of one solitary viewing but it was a very, very good film imho and it may well rise in my estimations over another viewing or two. War of the Worlds would’ve been a definite four-star picture for me but it ends so incredibly badly. Literally by narrated voiceover: “Oh, anyway, all the aliens got sick from Earth bacteria and died, so that was that.” A hapless end to a picture which starts so strongly.

1 Like

Queimada: 4/5. Great movie

Last ten:

1. Kokkonen: Uuno Turhapuro
  2. Brooks: Silent Movie
  3. Puenzo: Plague
  4. Galeen: Alraune
  5. Virtanen: Noin 7 veljestä
  6. Wheatley: High Rise
  7. Di Leo: Milano Calibre 9
  8. Breen: Fateful Findings
  9. Vanzi: A Stranger in Town
  10. Anders: Roots of Evil

I watched a bunch of Jan Verheyen films out of curiosity. He’s just plain awful.

Joyride to Nowhere (1977). A low budget car chase film that turned out to be more enjoyable than the reviews would have you believe.

1. Mattei: Hell of the Living Dead
  2. Franco: Erotic Rites of Frankenstein
  3. Page: FIreback
  4. Aster: Hereditary
  5. Chick (?): Light of the World
  6. Spinelli: Sex in the Comics
  7. Gezen: Homoti
  8. Berg: An Open Secret (D)
  9. German & Aronov: Sedmoi sputnik
  10. German: Proverka na dorogah

Very entertaining one.

Did you watch Dossier K. ? It’s not bad at all

Dossier K. - Wikipedia.

I thought that was a very average film.The acting was weak and it was too fast paced. Can’t say I’m eager to watch it again. There is just something about all of his films that leaves me feeling sour. The only one that I thought was good was Alles moet weg, which I would give a solid 3/5 rating.

Yes, especially with friends and some beer. I was really surprised.

Hell of the Living Dead is great fun. I absolutely love Mattei’s films. My favourite is probably Robowar. I wish someone would release that movie on DVD or Blu-ray.

I thought the acting was okay, but I understand your remarks in relation to the pacing: the script was rather weak, and to hide the flimsiness if it all, they accelerated the narrative, so to speak. I know Verheyen personally (not too well, btw) and he’s a very nice guy, so maybe i’m a bit prejudiced :wink: I haven’t seen his latest movie Het Tweede Gelaat yet, a sort of sequel to Dossier K.

A Papua New Guinea zombie movie. I didn’t know feature films were shot there, much less cool zombie movies. I will check that out.

Grand Canyon Massacre (1964) Stanley Corbett director, last one I saw.

V1_UX182_CR0%2C0%2C182%2C268_AL
Tomb Raider (2018)–4/10

Alicia Vikander was awful in this “Raiders of the Lost Ark” rip-off. The cast, script and acting was piss poor and even the action scenes were lame. Pffffft!..

She has nice calves though. :heart_eyes:

I was unaware of this lady until recently watching Jason Bourne (2016) , what a humourless snorefest that was … all the nice calves in the world couldn’t save it. :weary: