The Hills Run Red / Un fiume di dollari (Carlo Lizzani, 1966)

in answer to stantonā€™s comments, i must admit when i watched this, right from the beginning my first thought was, this is like an amercian western.

I thought it felt realistic and gritty, didnā€™t get any 50s b westerns feel at allā€¦ I did with One Silver Dollar though, which I watched back to back with this.

After seeing the mgm disc it was a revelation, I love the direction and camera workā€¦ need to revisit Kill & Pray from the same director, I didnā€™t like it so much the first time.

Also have Last Days of Mussolini and Bandits in Milan which I havenā€™t viewed yet.

Watched the bonus again. I hoped to find the Italian Ending as Hidden Feature on the DVD but it wasnā€™t. I wonder if there is anything about any SW the expert doesnā€™t know. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s part of the inteview. He talks and small in the background you see both ends simultaneous

Apparently itā€™s this guy, il grande Antonio Bruschini, but another interview
Or maybe this is just a small part of a longer interview

He says by the way, that The Hills run red is a more ā€˜classicā€™ western, that is, not a political allegory in western form

lame movie, i thought

I find though that some movies that on paper I shouldnā€™t like, I do. On paper they have none of the elements of a classic movie, they are formulaic, blah blah blah but I like them anyway. I think perhaps that The Hills Run Red is one of these.

I enjoyed this for the amount of entertainment value I got from it. For whatever reason it had me from start to finishā€¦dunno, really canā€™t explain it even now. I gave it 5 stars.

5 stars, haha thatā€™s what I call balls :wink: the acting and script of this film were definitely bad thoughā€¦ hehe

I respectfully disagree, amigo! :smiley:

Sir, I respectfully call you a wanker, and challenge ya to a duel. I see you outside in 20 minutes, dear sir, and donā€™t you dare pull any olā€™ tricks on me, mister! the lord shall strike ye down!

Seb, just imagine me laughing at you like Henry Silva and that shall suffice for my reply!!! :smiley:

I thought this one was really disappointing too, I canā€™t understand all the praising by critics and why it was such a box-office hit at the time. I donā€™t even like the Morricone score that much.

haha it sounded like Iā€™ve heard it before. maybe itā€™s Morriconeā€™s ā€œyou donā€™t deserve meā€ tune he has in the drawer whenever a project like this comes along

1 Like

Hehe, thatā€™s a good answer

I think the movie was pretty good when I saw a print taped from TV

I now have the recent Koch release, but havenā€™t watched it yet

I think I read somewhere that Bruckner likes the score of this film very much

I finally watched my Koch version yesterday.
Maybe itā€™s a bit too US-style for me, but still a good movie. Really entertaining and not one boring moment.
The lame US-version happy end is unbelievableā€¦

For me, there wasnā€™t any difference between the 2 ends in relation to the filmā€™s quality. It works the same with either of the both ends.

Yes, but Nicoletta is just cut in twice with no further relation to the sceneā€¦

SWs often simply cut things in which are obviously from another film (or planet).

I liked it to give the angry Thomas Hunter his double HE.

Ok, he deserves it. He can have Nicoletta (although he heard of his wifeā€™s death, how long, one or two weeks ago?).

Iā€™ve just re-watched Un fiume di dollari, this time the new Koch disc, which is a wonderful release once again.

Even though there is no original story and Tomas Hunter is acting way over the top at times (very annoying, it fits Silva though), I felt entertained ! The movie is by no means a classic but slightly above average SW materialā€¦