The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

That’s for me also the main reason why I think this scene should be in, and not so much because it explains about how Sentenza gets the POW camp idea.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:295, topic:307”]1) The three men in the beginning of Once Upon a Time in the West are part of the premise of the movie (an element of this premise is: Frank is a criminal with henchmen), they can only be questioned by questioning the premise (and therefore the entire movie). You may read this from time to time (about a film or TV-series): it’s an okay movie, but the premise is ridiculous (I read this about Terra Nova, for instance)

1. Shorty’s presence is ‘explained’ by Blondie’s explanation for dropping Tuco: a sucker like you won’t ever be worth a large some of money. It’s clear that he wants to continue the trick with another person.

There’s no similar (‘logical’) explanation for the appearance of Tuco’s henchmen, he enters the movie as a loner, not as the leader of a small gang, therefore this change ought to be explained. But, as said, it didn’t bother me, like you say I had never thought about it before. At least I don’t remember this. If people absolutely desire an explanation, you could also say that the reason is sous-entendu, that is: not given, but easily understood. Blondie is a good shot, a dangerous person, so one could say that Tuco asks some help. The Sentenza case is a bit harder to crack. But it doesn’t ruin the film (or part of it) for me.[/quote]

Of course it is clear why he and Shorty work together. But we don’t know, and we don’t need to know, where he found him. If Blondie hired him, if he was an old acquaintance, or whatever.

Same with Tuco and his men. They are only a distraction and we don’t need to know where he found them.
Both scenes work perfectly without knowing of the origin of these guys. The narrative of GBU does not need any ‘logical’ explanation for the appearance of Tuco’s henchmen. And it doesn’t change his loner status. He has only hired them to get killed.

Like you said above, an explanation is “not given, but easily understood”. And therefore not an continuity error.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:300, topic:307”]That scene is not the one we’re talking about, it was always in the movie (and is a great scene)

It’s the extra scene preceding it, in which Tuco hires those men. Without this scene, these guys appear out of nothing, that’s why people call it a ‘continuity problem’.
This scene was not in the original Italian edit, often called ‘director’s cut’, but it was added to the movie on the 2DVD release by MGM, called the Extended Cut[/quote]
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood then. The versions I always saw didn’t include the scene with Tuco hiring them (I’ve never seen that scene and didn’t even know about its existence) and I never had a problem with that. I think current audiences asks for too much explanation in movies which I find pretty boring. There are things that don’t need to be explained and it’s not a continuity problem. Movies are not a faithful representation of life, they’re full of ellipses just like any fictional story.

Of course movies or novels aren’t faithful representations of life, nor should they be, but they should be consistent. A thing you can’t do, is changing the premise of a movie halfway. A lot of things in GBU aren’t realistic (the shooting abilities of the protagonists for example), but that’s part of the show, in westerns, especially spaghetti westerns the heroes or anti-heroes are faster than lightning. But GBU is not a parody or a spoof, so none of the protagonists are allowed to show some of those qualities of a Sartana or a Trinity - if you do that as a director, you get another movie (one like My Name is Nobody, for example). In the same sense info about characters etc. must be consistent throughout a movie. A character can’t be a poor beggar in the first half and a rich landowner in the second - that is: he can be, but in that case you need an explanation. So the essential question in the case of these inconsitencies of continuity problems is: Do we need an explanation of this change (in conduct, in a personal situation, etc.) or not? Apparently in this case (the henchman) some people say yes, others say no. Personally I don’t think we need one, but I can understand that others think otherwise.

Of course, I was saying they’re not faithful representations in reference to those who ask everything to be explained and put before their eyes otherwise they claim inconsistency or continuity error. There are plenty of movies that have those kind of mistakes, maybe there are some in GBU but in the case mentioned neither I or any of the people I know who has seen it thought it was inconsistent nor a continuity error.

Was the Grotto scene ever actually part of Leone’s directors cut?

Apparently not, as far as I know he removed it from the theatrical version, often called ‘director’s cut’ (the MGM version is therefore known as ‘Extended Cut’)

I rewatched the scene this afternoon, it’s awful, hard to believe that Leone directed it. He must have had a bad day.

I don’t think it’s a terrible scene, but it is dramatically unnecessary and doesn’t advance the film; we can use our imagination as to where Tuco got his gang from. It isn’t as if those characters are important. However, the scene with Angle Eyes in the destroyed fort with injured Confederate troops is fantastic, and needs to be in the film as Bill said, for the rhythm of the movie. Of all the changes, I think it is the best and should have been in Leone’s cut.

Documentation about it is very contradictory.

It was probably in the premier version but not in the then released theatrical version. It was Grimaldi who claimed thatb Leone wanted it in and only cut ot forlenght reasons.

I also don’t think it is a bad scene, but surely one of the weakest of GBU, maybe even the least remarkable.
Apart from being imo unnecessary I also think unlike the “destroyed fort” scene this one damages the rhythm of the film, the grotto scene makes the film too long at a place where GBU already runs the risk of wandering too far from the main story.
The lost Socorro scene would be even more problematic for this part of the film.

Talking about unnecessary scenes:
I just re-watched La resa dei conti with a friend, and he also thought that the ranch scene makes the film drag and unnecessarily overlong.

[quote=“Stanton, post:310, topic:307”]Talking about unnecessary scenes:
I just re-watched La resa dei conti with a friend, and he also thought that the ranch scene makes the film drag and unnecessarily overlong.[/quote]

Yeh, that scene just goes on for ever and ever. Does not help the pace of the film at all.

[quote=“Stanton, post:310, topic:307”]Talking about unnecessary scenes:
I just re-watched La resa dei conti with a friend, and he also thought that the ranch scene makes the film drag and unnecessarily overlong.[/quote]

Personally I never understood what he had in mind with this scene. It doesn’t even really fit into the movie. There must be an idea behind it that I don’t get.

About the Grotto scene: It’s not very long, so it doesn’t make the movie that much long-er, but I just think the dialogue is ridiculous it also has a strange, artificial look, I don’t how to say it, almost as if it’s shot in some Disney Land location.

Grotto:
It runs 3:30 min, sure, that’s not that much, and I don’t think it is a big problem to have it in the film (the Socorro scene would be), but sometimes even a minute too much can give the impression that a film slows down too much.

I always like to watch deleted scenes on DVDs, especially if the director comments them. There are often short pieces cut outfrom 90 min films of which the director says they were beautiful but he had to cut them out because they slowed the film down at that certain point. And I often don’t understand this, because there are really scenes amongst them which would improve the film imo.

La resa:
Probably a message scene? But which message?

Yeh, that scene just goes on for ever and ever. Does not help the pace of the film at all.
Personally I never understood what he had in mind with this scene. It doesn't even really fit into the movie. There must be an idea behind it that I don't get.

Thanks to Nieves Navarro, the bull-related interlude and the powerful entrance of Lee Van Cleef the ranch sequence is one of my favourite scenes in the film! :smiley:

Seconded!

I like to do that too. Sometimes watching the deleted scenes is more fun than watching the film itself

3m30s shouldn’t be a problem when talking about the length of this or any other (nearly) 3 hours movie.

I remember from the time that I ran such tests that the critical limit in this aspect is 5%. It means that if a change is less than 5%, it is generally not noticed. So if you take one apple (ball or whatever) away from a pile of one hunderd, probably no-one will notice. Same for 2, 3 and 4, although at this point some may start to become a little suspicious (hey, what’s going on?). If you take away five or more, apperently things start to look or feel ‘different’. Funny thing is that tests with animals give the same results. If you give a monkey or a rat 100 cookies (or something) and you take away 2 or 3 he doesn’t notice, if you take 6 or 7 he becomes nervous or angry.

The same thing goes for speed, loudness etc. (This means that the PAL speed-up shouldn’t be a problem under normal circumstances). Things differ a little from person tot person, but only a little. In general people all of a sudden people become aware of the change. If you, for instance, put up the volume gradually, and ask people to give you a notice when the music gets louder, they nearly all say this at the same time, at about this critical limit of 5%

I guess in the case of a movie, an extra scene may ruin the rythm or break the spell, and this is more harmful than the extra length in minutes it causes

That’s what I basically meant. These extra min are no greater problem in relation to a 3 hour film, but they may be the reason that the cat and mouse part starts to get rhythmical problems.

And I didn’t meant that the whole film becomes too long, but only the cat&mouse part in which Tuco chases Eastwood (and the Socorro scene would be also part of it). That’s between Blondie leaving Tuco behind in the desert and the arriving of the stagecoach with Jackson in it. And for that part alone the grotto scene is beyond 5 % .
But unlike La resa dei conti nothing that really hurts the film for me, not even this cat&mouse part. Small problem in an almost perfect film.

The Harmonica Rising scene in OUTW, which runs only 1:30 min, is on the other hand for me a real let down.

[/URL]

Happy New Year, and take your pick, folks:

[url=http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Good,_The_Bad_and_The_Ugly_-_Review_(scherpschutter)]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Good,_The_Bad_and_The_Ugly_-_Review_(scherpschutter)[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/lebonlabruteetletruand.jpg/[/url]

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Good,_The_Bad_and_The_Ugly_-_Special

Happy new year to all and many thanks for that great work,Scherps :slight_smile:

Great work Sherp, nothing better than starting a predictable hard and difficult new year, with one of my favourite films.