The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

itā€™s very very big without a lot of action inside it
but i like it a litle, some parts of it was really boring talk and talk and talkā€¦
i prefer much more fistful of dollars and for a few dollars more

This may give you a detailed overview about the differences between the US 161 min version and the Italian 178 Min version:

Next to the added scenes there are some more small snippets most wonā€™t have noticed. ā€œCut 2ā€ the cave scene shouldnā€™t be in, and ā€œcut 7ā€ and ā€œcut 9ā€ could also be out imo.

Watched the extended torture scene yesterday again, and it is way too long. Definitely worse compared to the released scene.

Here things are much more documented:

The Italian version (theatrical) runs about 174 minutes 30s.

The 178 cut is a failed attempt to reconstruct the Rome Premiere version (that included the uncut Tuco beating scene).

The 161 minutes International version isnā€™t a Directorā€™s Cut (absolutely certain in this case).

The so-called ā€œGrottoā€ scene isnā€™t included in the Italian version (theatrical).

Not counting the complete, uncut version there are two ā€œreleased sceneā€ for Tuco beating, with a slightly different editing. MGM Blu-ray includes the 161 min version of that sequence.

Cut 2 and 9 are ridiculously bad scenes (for a director like Leone), most others simply feel redundant, but they donā€™t really hurt the movie either
The only scene that helps the movie, is cut 5, Angel Eyes visiting the improvised hospital. Itā€™s a strong image and Angel Eyes needed an extra scene. Maybe cut 10 too, not sure about this (would have to watch it again, and compare it to how it was)

These arenā€™t added scenes, these are wrongfully removed sequencesā€¦ :wink:

Yeah we know, but most of us had seen GBU for many, many years only in the 161 min version.
Imo the longer cut improves the film slightly, but it was for most of us already a masterpiece with 161 min. and some think that the long version is inferior to the shorter one.
Having the cave scene in was a pretty stupid decision, but the scenes of the ā€œcutsā€ 5, 6, 8, 10 and maybe 11 should definitely be in. ā€œcut 10ā€ with the officer and the booze and his asking for the names is a very good scene.

Jonathan, then the Italian version is now identical with the MGM disc, except for 1 or 2 alternative cuts in the torture scene. (I have an old German version which has the alternative cuts)

Do you think there was never a 180 or 182min min version?

Yes, the so-called Premiere Cut (most probably 181 minutes + intermission).

So the old German version corresponds to the current Italian cut in the beating scene?

Yes, I somehow had noticed that there was something different on the DVD. It was most likely because the DVD uses a new badly sounding dub for this part of the scene.

But it did not include the Cave scene and the Socorro scene? Or did it? The intermission makes the difference?

Yes, being the Cave scene regularly dubbed it was included. Regarding the intermission, if included in the film could go on for 30-40 seconds.

Other possible scenes are a big interrogation mark, but documentation exists in various film libraries.

Much prefer the extended torture scene myself.

What is the Sorroco Scene?

Looking at the movie-censorship page for this film, I noticed that I havenā€™t seen either cut 7 or cut 9.

Socorro is a photographically reconstructed missing scene, in which Tuco continues his search for Blondie while Clint is in a hotel room with a Mexican prostitute played by Silvana Bacci (Django).

If you have seen the other of the ā€œnewā€ scenes (on the MGM Special Edition), it is a bit unlikely you havenā€™t seen those 2. Unless you fell asleep in between.

Okay, thanks. And this scene has been partially restored as an extra on the MGM two-disc DVD?

There are extensive descriptions of this scene in some books, most likely taken from the screenplay. but apart from a small snippet from the French trailer and a few photos there is nothing left of this scene.

The Socorro scene takes place after the hotel scene in which Blondie kills 3 hired Mexicans while Tuco comes from behind.
After Blondie has escaped again, Tuco arrives in a town where the Confederates try to get volunteers for their army. After the soldiers have left, Tuco too helds a speech and asks for donations, but of course only for himself. He enters a saloon and asks for a blonde man, and Blondie is indeed upstairs with a woman in bed (stupid idea btw), but the barkeeper lies about Blondies whereabouts to Tuco. Blondie observes the plaza, where the people still bring money to Tucoā€™s sombrero, and sends the girl away. The girl goes to the sombrero unnoticed by Tuco, and when Tuco later comes back to his sombrero to fetch the donated money, it is empty except for a half smoked cigar.
This is followed directly by the sequence in which Tuco follows the trail of the half smoked cigars.

No way this scene runs less than 10 min

Ah thanks; I thought the scene had survived more than it had. Was this ever in any release of the film or did Leone get rid of it on the cutting room floor?

By the way, could you post me a link to the French trailer that includes a shot or two from this scene?
Thank you.

Check YouTube. Iā€™m sure you can find it there.
But it is only a sec or 2, and it shows only Tuco lurking from behind a wall. It contains also a bit of cut parts from a scene in which Tuco tries to fire a cannon. And maybe some more alternative shots.

The trailer is also on the DVD.

Cut out before the premiere. Maybe it was never dubbed if the decision was made early. In that case the scene, if found, would be without any sound.

What is the best DVD release of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?