The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

But it has the English audio, which is not on the Mondo Blu, or to my knowledge on any other Italian DVD or Blu.

Apart from the grotto scene there is a short segment missing in which Eastwood mounts his horse when he leaves Tuco in the last scene.

The Italian UHD sounds like a great release, how have I not heard of this one before?

Can you post it? I haven’t been able to find it.

If you are asking for a link to the YouTube Mondo version with the English sound track I did post a link but I think admin took it down.
I am new here and not sure if you can post YouTube links.
But you should find it if you search -
The Good the Bad and the Ugly - full movie HD (1966)( Mondo 2009) put up by someone called JDM.

you can post youtube links, just not to pirated content, sorry

I saw the 148m UK theatrical version of TGTBTU which was missing:

• the gunsmith shop scene
  • all shots and scenes of the Union commander of the POW camp
  • most of Tuco’s beating up by Wallace (a BBFC cut of nearly 3m)
  • Maria being flung out of a wagon by confederate soldiers (it started with her opening the door to shack I think)
  • Angel Eyes’ beating up of Maria reduced to a slap (more BBFC cuts)

I think there were a few other cuts as well. Alex Cox reported that there was a 121m re-release version shown in UK cinemas a few years later but I have never seen that or heard details of any extra cuts.

If I had to cut another 20m out of the film I suppose the obvious snips would be:

• Father Ramirez scene and other stuff in the monestery
  • maybe the one of Tuco tracking Blondie via his cigars
  • the first scene of Blondie saving Tuco from the noose cutting immediately to the second
  • a radical cut might be to eliminate everything between Blondie abandoning Tuco in the desert to Tuco capturing Blondie whilst he is about to shoot Shorty’s rope. You do lose some gunplay but nothing essential to the story.
  • it might also be possible to edit out the entire battle sequence cutting from Blondie and Tuco dismounting to them crossing the river.
2 Likes

That would make me incredibly happy. The movie is flowing along so nicely at that point and this brings it to a dead stop. It literally makes me angry every time I watch it. :laughing:

1 Like

I have to disagree, strongly! … not one frame of GBU should be tampered with (humble opinion)

However, if someone were to edit ‘The Phantom Menace’ to completely remove Jake Lloyd as the brat, ‘Anakin Skywalker’ … I would applaud vigorously - Each to their own! :wink:

6 Likes

It´s one of the most emitional moments in the film and really humanizes Tuco. Plus it is followed by a few chuckles!

5 Likes

Emotional

I think you could edit Phantom Menace down to about 10 minutes (those being the Darth Maul fight) and you wouldn’t lose anything of value :joy:

3 Likes

I can understand why you feel that way but, to me, it is an unnecessary detour in the story just so that we can show that Tucco isn’t a complete rat bastard…except that he is a complete rat bastard despite how the scene attempts to make us feel. :laughing: I just think that if Leone wanted to attempt to get that point across, he could have done it at another point in the film or in another way so that the excellent progression of the story he built to at that point didn’t come to a screeching halt.

I do think that Eli Wallach and Luigi Pistilli both give phenomenal performances in the scene though.

2 Likes

I believe that it’s necessary to give the audience a break, and have a change in tempo for dramatic purposes … I actually find the ‘Crossing the desert’ sequence a bit of a drag, but it needs to be there, to show how far Tuco will go, in regards to torturing ‘Blondie’ … and then those actions become a comedic devise, when Tuco attempts to ‘buddy’ up to Blondie after he regains consciousness at the monastery.

There’s also a certain arrogance from all us backseat drivers, who believe our ideas could improve the ‘masterpiece’ … I include myself in that group :wink:

A few minor things in the movie irritate me … but that’s because I’ve seen it 50 times or more (no idea) but it’s still one of very very few films I’d give 9.5/10

8 Likes

The intermission would have been immediately prior to the Ramirez reunion. In that context the film is designed to come to a ‘screeching halt’. More importantly the scene fleshes out Tuco’s back story; something conspicuously absent in both Blondie and Sentenza.

4 Likes

You beat me to it.

The intermission was designed for soon afterwards so I think it was intended to slow the pace down.

However, if I was told to edit the film down to 121m or 90m it would have to go.

1 Like

If I was told to do that I would go. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s a good thing for those with short attention spans, that they can now partially edit their own versions by jumping chapters with the remote control … Dio mio!

:rofl:

1 Like

Agreed apart from the Grotto scene.

Agreed entirely.

Agreed again :rofl:

Actually I think GBU works very well in the 161 min versions, the only one I could see for 15 or 20 years, but some of the for me then new scenes are so good that I would never want to miss them again.

But still, apart from the superfluous Grotto scene, a for me perfect version could miss a few other minor scenes. Especially the scene in which Eastwood and LvC camp at night near a river is as worse and as superfluous for the continuity as the grotto scene, and there is another short segment, in which Tuco aks for the way to the mission which the film absolutely not needs.
I think there is a danger that the film runs too long in the middle section, and loses its perfect filmic rhythm there.

About the longer version of the desert scene I’m at the moment not sure if GBU runs more smoothly with or without it. But that’s at least a scene for which I like the longer parts enough to keep them.

2 Likes

Agreed…I love both though, apart from the grotto scene of course. I still think we should be able to have the version Leone himself intended that said. Could you elaborate on which restored scenes you particularly like?