The first spaghettiwestern you saw?

The first SW i saw was RETURN OF RINGO in 70’s…

I’ve seen dozens as a small kid (eighties), because my dad loved them. He always watched them on German channnels like ARD. I can’t recall any paricular ones though. When I see my drawing froms that young age, all the guys I had drawn wore spurs and bullet-belts, so It did have some sort of impact on me. It’'s no surprise I rediscovered them later on, must be in the DNA I guess…

A Fistful of Dollars and the Good, the Bad and the Ugly in one day. I sorta liked them, but it took a little bit of time for me to fall in love with them, although I did love the music immediately.

“once upon a time in the west” or “the good the bad and the ugly” or maybe “for a few dollars more”. I was a kid when i saw my first spaghetti and i don’t remeber which one of those 3 it was.

DEATH RIDES A HORSE was the first one I watched, those many year’s ago.

I don’t remember which one I saw first as I was a kid when I saw my first SW on TV.
I do remember that the Dollars trioligy on VHS where the first SW’s I purchased. For more than 10 years they where the only SW’s I owed.

First one i saw was “For A Few Dollars More” as a kid (heavily cut i think) and after that i was pretty much hooked. :smiley:

As a youth they must of shown a series of spaghettis on latenight friday tele over here in uk. Because of the amount of ale drunk, only bits were remembered. When I wanted to see them again years (and years) later - I couldn’t remember what they all were. Of course the end bit (and the opening song and beginning) of Django were the bits that stuck the most, and that was easy to track down. The other bit that stuck firm was the vision of a guy pulling open a drawer and strings inside caused a model galleon’s cannons to blast him to bits. Pure genius! By the time I’d finally tracked it down - I realized I’d amassed a pretty sizable collection of films. Thanks be to the Lord and to Adios Sabata.

The first Spaghetti Western I saw was JOHNNY YUMA. I was just a kid and the film was projected onto the outside wall of my school’s bus garage. I lived in a very small town in Oklahoma at that time. The population was around 500. But, one of those 500 worked for a small film distribution company in Tulsa, Oklahoma. On the weekends this man would bring home a few films to show at a makeshift, outdoor theatre to keep the townsfolk entertained. He couldn’t afford to bring home prints of the really big-time movies, so we got to see a lot of what some folks would call “grindhouse” or “b” movies…projected as if on a big screen! Westerns were very popular in that part of Oklahoma, back then…and since the guy couldn’t afford to bring home the big budget American Westerns…we (thank God!) got treated to the cheaper to rent Italian ones. It was great fun at the time–and when I look back on it, now, I am utterly amazed at how lucky I was to get to see some of the films I saw in those days.

So…the first Spaghetti Western I ever saw was JOHNNY YUMA. Then, just a short time later I saw ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST when it first aired on American TV.
After that, I saw the DOLLARS pictures…and from that point on it is all a happy blur!

Other Spaghetti Westerns I got to see at that outdoor theatre in Ripley, Oklahoma during the early 70’s included:
JOHNNY HAMLET, GOD FORGIVES–I DON’T!, ANY GUN CAN PLAY, THE DIRTY OUTLAWS, MINNESOTA CLAY, A PISTOL FOR RINGO, NAVAJO JOE, THE MERCENARY, STRANGER IN TOWN, THE STRANGER RETURNS, PAYMENT IN BLOOD (Castellari’s 7 WINCHESTERS FOR A MASSACRE), 7 GUNS FOR THE MACGREGORS, THE HILLS RUN RED, and RINGO AND HIS GOLDEN PISTOL.

What a fantastic introduction to the genre. There are some great films in there. That guy deserves some kind of civic recognition!

Chris, you’re a lucky guy!!!

My parents had the soundtrack to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly on LP and I listened to it several times as a kid in the 70s…coincidentally it was the first spaghetti I watched, sometime as a teenager in the 80s.

I was limited to whatever was on late night cable TV in Canada, which was not much…then “Pay TV” came out and movies were a lot more accessible. I still remember renting a VCR and tapes as a kid, until we got our own. :smiley:

Glad to be around now, when you can get ahold of nearly anything you want to watch!

I guess my first SW must have been one of the Leone/Eastwood films. Either GBU or FFoD…

Flynn

Yes! Love Adios Sabata (although I saw it for the first time only recently…)

I think it was one of the Trinity-Bambino movies. The first serious spag was OUATITW.

The first one for me was ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. It was the chopped-up version and I saw it in cinema, in the late sixties or early seventies. Although it was a bit hard to follow, I was amazed. I have been loving spaghetti’s ever since, though they got out of sight a bit during the eighties (those pan&scan VHS versions weren’t very pleasing). DVD and internet poked up the old fire.

The first SW that I saw in its entiretly ws for a few dollars more. 2 years ago. It made an instant fan of me for Eastwood and Van Cleef. Before that I was not that interested in westerns at all. But that all changed when I was blown away by the musical score, and how cool the actors were. From than on, I started watching all of Eastwood’s american westerns, the other Leone SW’s, and than I started seeking out Van Cleef’s SW’s, like the Big Gundown. Than I started seeing more of the Hollywood westerns, but through some research and surfing the net I started seeking out some of the SW classics like Django etc…as well as some of the Zapata westerns and the comedy westerns like Trinity. I noticed that I liked the SW"s more than the Hollywood westerns, although I’m still not too crazy about Zapata westerns.

THis past year my obsession has been the Garko Sartana films.

I’m still a newcomer and inexperienced compared to many of you here. I’ve only seen about 30 SW"s so far, and I plan on seeing many more SW’s in the future. Hopefully there will be more newcomers like me who discover just how special SW"s are.

Here’s one but hell I’m only eighteen…

My first like many was Leone’s A Fistful of Dollars. I too did not get a chance to see more until later in life when dvds made hard to find movies readily available.

The Good The & The Ugly.

And it remains my overall favourite movie of all time.

:slight_smile:

I’m afraid, but I think it was Corbucci’s: “Il bianco, il giallo, il nero”. :wink: