The complete Sartana Collection (BluRay, Arrow Video)

Judging by screenshots I gotta say the German print looks pretty damn good. Would love to see a proper comparison.

Arrow Screenshots: The Complete Sartana Collection Blu-ray - Gianni Garko

Colosseo Screenshots (compared to Wild East DVD): If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death • DE Blu-ray vs. US DVD

2 Likes

Ok my fellow co-authors, I am done with my little chapter, feel free to top up the article. Man, that audio commentary by @mike_siegel is really great (as per usual)

I am getting sick of the misuse of “Complete” these days. Great Sartana box set but only five films. Thomas Weisser’s Spaghetti Westerns: The Good, The Bad And The Violent has a list of 17 films with Sartana as a character. I got caught with Django as well. I bought The Django Collection Volumes 1 & 2 (12 films) only for Thomas Weisser’s book to tell me there are 32 films featuring Django. I have got at least half a dozen box sets with films on I’ve got just to get a couple I haven’t got. Does anybody else get caught like this? The twin films from Wild East Productions are a pain as well. There are eight I want but they share the bill with one I’ve got and through Amazon to New Zealand they are over $35NZD each.

Well, there’s only two official Django films and Arrow’s box set is the complete collection of official Sartanas. It would be nice if they released the unofficial films in a separate box set but I see no reason why they have to include something like Trinity and Sartana with Garko’s films.

1 Like

Not really the subject, but you mention Thomas Weisser’s book as reference. That book is a endless source of misinformation. There’s a thread in here somewhere all about it.

Found it:

If Sartana was a creation of Parolini, there is only one official Sartana film. :wink:

And why should Django 2 be more “official” than let’s say Preparati la bara? Which was produced by those who also produced the one by Corbucci, and featured some more stuff members from the first film, notably writer Rossetti and photographer Barboni. And I think the film was written for Nero, who preferred instead to act in the more prestigious Camelot.

I think this debate doesn’t lead anywhere. Mostly, what gets released is decided by the question of what licenses and material can be acquired

A couple of years in the making, but it’s finally completed.

1 Like

I suppose if Arrow’s box set started with $1,000 on the Black, it’d be misleading for new viewers since Garko isn’t playing the same character.

1 Like

Oh yeah, and they’re selling complete Star Wars saga at amazon and that collection doesn’t have Turkish Star Wars. What a rip-off!

2 Likes

He made me think of grandpa Simpson at times. :smile:

1 Like

Having just received my collection, I really am enjoying it far more than I thought I would. Considering my exposure to Sartana only came around February earlier this year, I think I’ve taken a huge liking to the character, as well as Gianni Garko, whom at first I had some difficulty imagining him in a Colonel Mortimer-type of a role, which he isn’t, other than donning a similar attire.

Anyways, I think this is a franchise worth celebrating. The sum of money paid for this box set is worth every penny, in my opinion.

You know what keeps fascinating me? For a film series that’s perhaps considered a B-Movie here in Northern America, it exudes cool, originality and creativity a hundred times more than a super A-List movie made on a $300 million budget made today. This comes from someone who has seen his fair share of movies on his journey to becoming a cinephile. I can’t help but love how witty the turnouts are in the Sartana films. Makes you wonder how unoriginal we are starting to become we can’t even try to outdo the charismatic astuteness of a film made five decades ago.

3 Likes

so where is everyone who wanted to co-write that review :slight_smile:

Here’s blu-ray. com’s verdict:

6.5/10? It should be a lot more than that. At least an 8/10.

That’s the average user grade and not the review
score which looks to be something like 3 1/2 out of 5 B’s. What I notice is that lt scores nicely in video and audio quality and that’s really the main parts.

The absence of the theatrical cuts is a reason not to buy any of the Star Wars sets for me. I’ll stick with the Laserdisc transfers and fan projects until George Lucas stops this nonsense.

He no longer owns Star Wars though

So, why no Blu-rays of the original trilogy? :anguished: