The Car Corner

I hope you’re never drunk in charge of a bicycle Ennioo :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Of course not Reverend :smiley: .

[quote=“autephex, post:18, topic:2102”]:smiley: very funny Chris

I never knew if the stories about Pintos blowing up was real or not[/quote]

Definitely for real, amigo!

[quote=“autephex, post:16, topic:2102”]Here’s a view from the front

[/quote]

That’s a beauty, one of these days…

Yes. Totally impractical and a carbon footprint the size of Andre the Giant’s. But who cares. That’s what an American car should look like.

…and as Brother autephex says, it is a beaut … I reckon tho’ it jus’ needs a bit of pinstriping to finish it off. Very nice! I would drive one of these and fuck the environment. (I got 5 years saved greenness in the bank after all!)

I love classic cars, thats the one thing my dad passed on to me. He has some stories: He bought a Jaguar MK2 (actually a 240) in England, and drove it to Germany himself. Well that was the plan, of course it broke down in France as expected from a fine piece of english craftsmenship. So he had to pick it up later, after “parking” it in some farmers shack. That car was a mess, but looked great. I think he still has the Jaguar figure.
He also had a cool mercedes benz

. But in Germany old cars are costly if they are not 30 years old. So he sold it to his relative living in Canada where it is driven not often (picture taken there).
He now has a VW beetle (build in mexico, the same year as me, 1983) which i love to drive. And he keeps this beautiful car:

But new regulations say you cant drive those old cars in many cities anymore, a shame. I think not cars harm the enviroment but factories and stuff.
I myself do not own a car, and dont need one in Heidelber. I use the train and my bike. Good thing there is that the alcohol limit for driving a bike is much higher. And i might have crossed it some times.

A man with your know how should definitely give it a go!

Haha… yes, I’ve also got a good amount of greenness in the bank after riding a scooter for so long, and the Tempest isn’t an every day car… I usually take my girlfriend’s car for daily driving. I havent quite decided on what I’m going to do with the paintjob and whatnot, mostly focusing on getting everything else taken care of for now. I actually kind of like it as it is, I don’t have to worry about getting a scratch on the door :smiley:

Any luck finding pics of the old favorites, Phil and Rev?

I’m amazed that these two didn’t end up with a bit of pinstriping on (it’s summat I used to do years ago and I’ve even still got my brushes) but here’s the only pics I can find of the past revmobiles. None at all of the ‘black mamba’ mgb (which was a roadster, not a gt as I previosly stated), which is a shame 'cos it was the poshest of the bunch (also the most unreliable), and none of the landy.
The Triumph Herald was a great car - the whole front lifts forward exposing the complete engine so you can even sit on the wheels and have a tinker - even I changed the headgaskets once and I’m useless at these things normally. The slide-back cloth roof panel was great as well. Once back you almost felt like you were in a proper ragtop.
Da da! …

Perhaps I can ship the Tempest over to you for a custom Reverend pinstriping job :smiley: Will have a look at those photos later tonight, as I’m currently at “work” and they block all the image sites- the bastards!

Very nice Rev. I’ve always had a soft spot for Morrie Minors. A convertable one of thiose would be great. Just like a Noddy car ;D

That Triumph Herald looks pretty cool… nice feature with the easy engine access too

That Triumph definitely looks like a fun ride.

I agree! That Triumph looks great! I love muscle cars too, but never owned an older model. I had the privilege of owning a ‘95 Mustang GT. It was the last year Ford made them with the 5.0 engine. It was blood red and scary fast. My daughter came home from the hospital in it! I lost the car in my divorce :’( I miss that damn car!

I’ve owned a few cars since I started driving

'83 Chevrolet Celebrity
’85 Mercury Topaz
’86 Mazda 323
’97 Volkswagen Jetta GL (first new car I owned demo model)
'90 Geo Prizm (the VW fell apart and I got my grandmother’s car)
'06 Mini Cooper (first brand new car I owned came with 11 miles on it)

I saw Silver’s post about small cars and I am the opposite I hate large cars - there’s no need to have something with 12 cylinders and weighing 2 tons.

Saab is out of business!

Frankly, I don’t really care much for cars.
To me, they are a necessary evil.
I have gone for long, long periods of time without owning a car, myself.
That said, though, the best car I ever owned was a mid '90’s Nissan Altima GXE.
And I do have to admit to liking the looks of a lot of vintage cars like the Studebaker Golden Hawk 0f the late 1950’s and the Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk of 1962 and the Metropolitan Coupe. My all-time favorite is probably the Gran Turismo Hawk, though. A friend of mine had one of these and I used to drive it all the time when she wasn’t using it, of course!

Golden Hawk '57

Gran Turismo Hawk 1962

Metro

Never owned any of these, but sure would like to!

Not me either.

It’s funny you say that, I completely agree!

Sadly in a country the size of the US and under the control of the Detroit Automakers for so long we were doomed to be slaves to buying their poor excuses for cars which also saw our public transportation system become 3rd rate.

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:37, topic:2102”]Metro
[/quote]
Ha ha - what’s this? I didn’t know you guys made stuff this small. It looks like the bastard offspring resulting from when a '57 Chevy got surprised up its tailpipe by a rogue Trabant.