The Boldest Job in the West / El más fabuloso golpe del Far-West (José Antonio de la Loma, 1972)

Watch this nice movie, it’s a nice entertainment for an four and a half.
Thanks to our friend Shobary, anyone can watch this movie on youtube. :slight_smile:

Guys,

I watched this one sober as well as being boozed up. I cannot see how this makes some people’s top 20. It definetley made my top 20 worst. The music is horrible’ especially the opening score. I did find this too be comical in some scenes. Especially, when Fernando Sancho, aka Reyes, was being bust out of jail & throwing the dynamite away from the bars. It blew the backend of the sheriff’s office area & magically the cell bars fell down. Was it due to the blast or him just being so fat they fell down when he pushed them? I could ellaborate more but why waste my time on this? So, I rank it #12 on my top 20 worst spaghetti westerns. :slight_smile:

Wow!!!
I found it very nice! :o
A script isn’t very good, but it is at least better than some Fidani’s trashes.
And superb landscapes…
Well… definitely this is not a masterpiece, but still worth a watch IMO. :wink:

I could have been better without that annoying introduction (a battle between those two sisters - very boring).

I’ve made a cover :):

1 Like

Wow!
Nice cover Italo-West-Fan! :smiley:

Thanks ! :slight_smile:

[quote=“ION BRITTON, post:20, topic:1666”]A bit late but here it is:

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/dsc00018cm.jpg/[/url][/quote]

If anyone out there is looking for this VHS, Oldies.com has it for $1.99. Just ordered mine.

This movie easily comes to my Top 20.
Plot is well constructed and even character development is pretty good.
There are a lot of my favourite italo-western actors here:
Fernando Sancho
Piero Lulli
Frank Brana

Snow and mud are perfect in creating the atmosphere.
“Boldest Job in the West” is a serious movie but it also contains some ironic moments.
The best scenes are after robbery when it becomes clear that one of the characters can be a traitor.
I didn’t even know who is the real protagonist.
Music is really nice, maybe the camera work is forgettable.
I think that this movie deserves a proper dvd release.

In-depth article on the film and director by @davidgregorybell coming soon.

Edit: Here it is Snow & Spaghetti: Nevada (1972) aka The Boldest Job in the West - The Spaghetti Western Database

A nice and well researched review of this fine muddy little western. I assume you watched one of the two English VHS based prints. The one with burned in subs is clearer and sharper, the one without subs is brighter but very soft.

Jaume (credited as Jaime) Picas is the sheriff. Osvaldo Genazzani is the disgruntled poker player. Mercedes Linter should be Mercédès Molinar as Marion’s maid. Here in episodes of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Bewitched.

Aurelian Lintermans (the on screen credit is J. Lintermans) is credited in La loi des hommes (1962) along with Mercedes Lintermans (IMDB), but the on screen credit is Mercédès, and À couteaux tirés (Daggers Drawn) (1964), along with Mercédès Molinar, according to IMDB. I can’t find Daggers Drawn to check but there does seem to be a connection between the two. Unfortunately the YouTube upload of La loi des hommes is very low resolution and I’m not able to identify who Lintermans might be in Nevada.

The DB and CIDB list Ivan Roberto who is credited in OSS 117 prend des vacances (1970), available on YouTube, and Les vieux loups bénissent la mort (1971), again interestingly with Mercédès Molinar. I’m not finding this one so can not confirm his presence. CIDB usually only lists credited actors and ANICA doesn’t even have an entry for this film :disappointed: .

Gaspar Gonzalez appears briefly as the hotel guest leaving without paying and Miquel Bordoy is the barman.

1 Like

Not viewed this one in a while, so no better time to via the upgraded fandub of a T.V print. At first you wonder what the hell is going on in this one, as so many diversions to the robbery :slight_smile:. Some sub stories better than others of course. But the film shines the most as we go into the hills of snow. Its different at this point for sure with the scenery and the double crosses. And Sancho in the snow is a change, as we usually just see him sweating in the sun :grinning:

Watched it recently but couldn’t take to it. The characters all felt pretty flat and it was overly-convoluted with the main plot and a bunch of sub-plots that didn’t really advance the film in anyway. Wanted to like it after the opening shot of the hills which was beautiful (I love the feel of snow-bound westerns), but it fell flat from there.

I liked this one quite a bit. Nice to see Sancho as a leading man. I watched the American VHS, which is pretty good quality. Would be great to see it released on a Blu-ray.

This film’s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. However, we have plenty of gaps there, so contributions to enhance the page are very welcome.

It maybe the 2nd best snow western in spag’ history :wink:

1 Like

Or third best. :wink: I kinda like Quanto Costa Morire.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, I have received a copy of it this week and resolved to revisit it. Though the film is evidently cumbered with many a flaw, there is a certain warm, fuzzy kind of quality about it which makes it considerably more enjoyable in the end. This property probably comes about by reason of its ravishing snow-bound landscapes, which promptly make you want to go trekking or skiing in Andora, and the mellow soundtrack courtesy of Cipriani.

A lot of my previous criticisms seem to stand in that the characters are on the tenuous side and the script could have been elaborated a bit better in some respects, but I suppose my response to the tout ensemble was on the more positive side this time around, all things considered. The prefatory section is precariously narrated in that the narrative switches back and forth between numerous characters and plotlines in a somewhat jittery fashion; risky though it may appear, the approach appears to pay off in the sense that it highlights the simultaneity and the general disarray of all these events which eventually culminate in the bank robbery.

Suffice to say, the prelude is a bit off-the-wall and sort of rudimentary, but perfectly serviceable in its own right. The bigger issue consists in the fact that there is too high a number of characters which needlessly weigh down the storyline, gratuitously diluting the focus on some occasions, the Bob Dylan lookalike being the most outstanding example thereof; whittling down the number of characters certainly would have accorded the storyline much needed legerity. Thankfully, it is not too much of a hindrance in light of the fact that most of the marginal characters are swiftly disposed of and we are eventually left with but a handful of characters who proceed to pull double-crosses on one another.

The visual indifference constitutes another salient flaw, though to be fair, the director does not bungle things and crafts the whole product in a very straightforward, unpretentious manner which, combined with the cynical second half, makes for a diverting watch. The ending, albeit controversial and adventurous, is so idiotic that it becomes brilliant in its own way and is at least duly foreshadowed in the first half, so it fortunately does not come off as lazy.

Overall, nothing groundbreaking or all that memorable, but undoubtedly one of the most pleasing mid-tier outings from that period, I vastly prefer this one to some more popular works. I surely would not mind seeing this one again sometime down the line. Definitely a great film to doze off to, I find watching Sancho’s fat ass rolling between mounds of snow very relaxing.

3 Likes

I prefer to quote a negative forum post here.
It was surprisingly bad non-spaghettilike music by Cipriano as opposed to his completely different very nice themes in The Stranger Returns.
The camera work seemed very shaky in several scenes in the first third or so (probably intentional but for little value).
A rather boring sub plot with the two sisters.
As many pointed out the second part after the robbery is a little bit more interesting.
But I don’t find Fernando Sancho’s character so good here.
The ending was a bit ridicolous.
Finally it is a bit irritating to hear well known voices dubbing other characters. Sancho’s sounds like the voice of the Mexican sidekick in Hey Amigo, You’re Dead, and the bank robbery gang leader’s as Johnny the Bastard’s, even if that is only a small complaint.
My initial verdict is 5/10, but I will probably give it another chance later.

Location mystery ? After little more than 5 minutes of my DVD-R you get a glimpse of high hills or something in the distant background between the western town houses. It seems to be shot in the Cinecitta Western town, but I thought there are mostly flat grounds near those towns in the Rome area.

No significant change when I watched it a second time. Too many weaknesses, no spaghettiwestern-suitable music , except a few seconds of Morricone/The Great Silence-like uptempo piece in the second snowy part, boring near amateurish and cinematographically somewhat ugly first half in the western town, irritating subplot with the two sisters and ridicuolus ending. Interesting though to see a few, I believe, olive trees in the snowy Andorra location near the end of the film. Do they really grow well in that climate ? Perhaps 4/10 is more fair than 5/10, since it feels now as this SW is not one of those 5/10-rated that I will rewatch within a few years in the future without a special reason.

1 Like

well ,lets not forget about SERGIO MEROLLE and THE TASTE OF DEATH. with john ireland and Andrea Giordana. Now that my good man is a very UNDER- RATED Western.
That would be awesome if that could get a good presentation ,a release on blu- ray. very much deserves one would you agree? or Not really sure? in case you have not seen it try and find it . very good.

1 Like