The Big Gundown / La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

Another reason (besides the original voices argument) for English audio is the interlinking of the title song with the dialogue.

Whenever Cuchillo escapes he says ā€œyouā€™ll never catch me, never!ā€ at which point the music comes in beginning with the words ā€œNever, no neverā€¦ā€ Itā€™s really, really cool and is a running theme throughout the whole film. Itā€™s also another reason why that audio glitch on the Koch disc is really infuriating. In fact the end of the film, where it changes to ā€œYouā€™d never have caught me, neverā€ is like GBU in that sense, although there it works both in English and Italian: the ā€˜aā€™ at the end of the English ā€œyouā€™re aā€¦ā€ or Italian ā€œā€¦ putaā€ is followed by the ā€œAahhhhā€ or the soundtrack.

There is also the english audio version ( with subtitles for non english bits) put together by member Autephex. Better than the Franco Cleef version in my view, as uses the Koch media print ( so uncut of course) as source print. He did not compress his version and he did as a dvd 9. Although people who have copied his version will have probably compressed it to a dvd 5 at some point perhaps, if they traded a copy of the disc perhaps.

I donā€™t know if I would go so far as to cut the sequence out entirely, but I do agree that it is a definite low point of the film.

Really. :o Why ?
Such a dominant woman is very rare in a spaghetti Western. Men hornyā€¦ A woman who owns a haremā€¦ With a handful of Cowboys.

A very strange situation on this ranch. Cuchillo occurs and all other men are very jealous. The life of the cowboys is who can spend the night with the boss. Grotesque. A woman described as a black widow.

And what a twist. When all the other cowboys are dead, Navarro threw himself at the feet of LVC. The dominant woman is a helpless doll.

OK, I give right, for the rhythm of the movie, this ranch scene is counterproductive, since it is considered rather slow.
But i think this change of character is presented very interesting. And the figure of Nieves Navarro is perhaps comparable to the figure of Rosalba Neri in Johnny Yuma?

Autophex version of the Big Gundown is probably the best release of this film. Superb image-quality and a good english dub. Cultcine is selling the version as his own, but its autophexs

[url]ę€€åŒ–ę‰¾ē¼®äŗ’联ē½‘å•†åŸŽęœ‰é™å…¬åø

[quote=ā€œretask, post:145, topic:335ā€]Autophex version of the Big Gundown is probably the best release of this film. Superb image-quality and a good english dub. Cultcine is selling the version as his own, but its autophexs

[url]ę€€åŒ–ę‰¾ē¼®äŗ’联ē½‘å•†åŸŽęœ‰é™å…¬åø

This is an impertinence. People like Autophex make a lot of work with this fandub. And then there are idiots like Cultcine and sell these versions. And they give out as your own. >:(

Cultcine: Rest in Peace. Go to hell.

Viewed this one again via the Autophex version.

Still a good one for me, with Cleef on top stylish form. Viewed with english audio and english subtitles for the bits that never had english audio. Next time round will try Italian audio with english subtiles, even though I may miss the voice of Van Cleef.

Ennioo, let us know how you think the Italian audio compares with the English. For me itā€™s not even close.

I had heard somewhere that there is an Italian version of the main song. If so, wouldnā€™t it have been better to use this with the Italian audio such that ā€œmaiā€ (never) could then work along the same lines as in the English version (or are the song lyrics completely different)?

Having watched this long hailed classic last week i felt somewhat underwhelmed with the result. It certainly wasnā€™t a bad movie but maybe my expectations were too high after reading all about it in various forums and book.

van Cleef and Milian are excellent in their roles and make for a great team in the end. The movie started out well but i felt the pacing was somewhat off. It basically comes down to Milianā€™s character escaping every 15 minutes from a new situation while Van Cleef is just a step behind everytime. I do prefer ā€œFace to Faceā€ if i have to be honest. But you could certainly do worse and Sollima prooves that heā€™s a solid director who knows the SW genre. The movie has alot of tense moments and a nail biting finale and a beautiful Morricone score. Just too bad that it is somewhat unevenly paced.

I should probably give it another chance sometime. But for the moment i feel somewhat dissapointed if i have to be totally honest.

Prefer Face to Face myself.

[quote=ā€œDr. Menard, post:149, topic:335ā€]Having watched this long hailed classic last week i felt somewhat underwhelmed with the result. It certainly wasnā€™t a bad movie but maybe my expectations were too high after reading all about it in various forums and book.

van Cleef and Milian are excellent in their roles and make for a great team in the end. The movie started out well but i felt the pacing was somewhat off. It basically comes down to Milianā€™s character escaping every 15 minutes from a new situation while Van Cleef is just a step behind everytime. I do prefer ā€œFace to Faceā€ if i have to be honest. But you could certainly do worse and Sollima prooves that heā€™s a solid director who knows the SW genre. The movie has alot of tense moments and a nail biting finale and a beautiful Morricone score. Just too bad that it is somewhat unevenly paced.

I should probably give it another chance sometime. But for the moment i feel somewhat dissapointed if i have to be totally honest.[/quote]

What do you think, would the pacing be better if the overlong Navarro ranch scene (as stated above) was not in the film?

[quote=ā€œDr. Menard, post:149, topic:335ā€]Having watched this long hailed classic last week i felt somewhat underwhelmed with the result. It certainly wasnā€™t a bad movie but maybe my expectations were too high after reading all about it in various forums and book.

I should probably give it another chance sometime. But for the moment i feel somewhat dissapointed if i have to be totally honest.[/quote]

When I first saw the movie, I was also disappointed.
The second time I liked it better. And now it is in my top 10.
Give it a second chance, Dr. :wink:

I saw itā€™s on Arte next week, in an ulta-short version (some 85 minutes), so who knows the ranch sequence is completely left out

After the movie thereā€™s this documentary, Denn Sie kennen kein Erbarmen (or something like it) and a portrait of the great Pierre Brice (Winnetou himself)

[quote=ā€œThe Stranger, post:152, topic:335ā€]When I first saw the movie, I was also disappointed.
The second time I liked it better. And now it is in my top 10.
Give it a second chance, Dr. ;)[/quote]

This happened to me too. At first I prefered Sabata and Death Rides a Horse, but unlike those films, The Big Gundown seems to get better with each viewing. You get something different out of it each time. The mark of a good movie.

But I do agree with the criticisms that its unevenly paced, not to mention episodic, but I guess GBU and OUATITW had the same problem so its forgivable.

Ranch scene is overlong for me.

Not if it is the German version which it surely is.

They cut a lot out, but not the ranch scene. This scene is slightly cut, but most of it is in.

What they cut out is e.g. the complete role of Baron von Schulenberg. (Didnā€™t they realise it was an Austrian and not a Prussian?)
No wonder that cut to pieces the film didnā€™t left a great impression in Germany.
I too thought it was a mediocre film when I first saw the German version back in the 80s via an ugly VHS version. The Sollima box changed my mind. Also about the other 2 SWs of him.

Dear me, dear dear me. If you cut his role from the movie, you rob it from any sense, whatā€™s left is just an average narration about good versus bad (and Lee thrown in the middle)

Maybe Iā€™ll watch this short version just out of curiosity

This short German version is a disgrace.
Especially those grotesque figures such as Baron von Schulenberg make the Special from the film. :wink:

Hm, i didnĀ“t really mind the Navarro ranch sequence, after all you can never have enough Nieves Navarro in a movie if you ask me. ;D To me itĀ“s more the overall pace that just seems to drag in places and the repetitiveness of the events. I canĀ“t really put my finger on it, but somehow i felt it could have done with at least 20 minutes less footage. But like i said i should give it another chance a few months down the line to see if i still feel the same about it. IĀ“m well known for my shifts in opinion. My personal mood often influences my decision whether i like a movie or not. Maybe i just caught it at the wrong timeā€¦

ItĀ“s certainly a well produced and well cast movie so that canĀ“t be my beef. This one is up for future re-evalutation.

I still like them alot and it doesnt really bother me (gave Big Gundown 4/5)ā€¦ but this is how I feel with all Sollima Westerns.