The Big Gundown / La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

@ Flynnparadox @ AvatarDK @ Awfully Bad Lieutenant (Yes, Ajax has great goalscorers, but PSV has Jantje Reker!)

All of you: thanks for your comments. And my dear Lieutenant: I already have FACCIA A FACCIA (Colt Collection, and I bought it for about 8 € in Rome). But I’ll go for that Blue Underground disc of RUN MAN RUN you recommended. I have never seen that third film of Sollima, is it as good as the other two? (The other two are both in my Top 10.)
And yes, Flynn, It’s great to hear Van Cleef’s actual voice, but it’s also great to hear him dubbed in Italian. I agree with you that it’s one of his greatest performances, along with “For a few dollars more” an “Day(s) of Anger”.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:61, topic:335”]I have never seen that third film of Sollima, is it as good as the other two? (The other two are both in my Top 10.)[/quote]It’s clearly Sollima’s weakest film but still one of the better sw’s.

I admit, I have watched “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” with the Italian dub. It was pretty fun…

Well, this is the typical example why I like SWs ;D

And Lee Van Cleef. He’s absolutely cool!

Tomas is always Tomas ;D

Does anybody know anything about this release?

This is a great movie. I love the character development and how we eventually see the character of Cuchillo revealed, that he is not the rapist that we think he is and that things are not what they seem. I think the pivotal point of Corbett’s character development is when he crosses the Mexican border. He’s still going for the bandit no matter what the cost…but as he gets closer and realizes more about the man he’s dealing with you can see the light going on.

Lee Van Cleef R.I.P. It’s a shame the man didn’t get more “meaty” parts like this.

[quote=“Pacificador, post:66, topic:335”]This is a great movie. I love the character development and how we eventually see the character of Cuchillo revealed, that he is not the rapist that we think he is and that things are not what they seem. I think the pivotal point of Corbett’s character development is when he crosses the Mexican border. He’s still going for the bandit no matter what the cost…but as he gets closer and realizes more about the man he’s dealing with you can see the light going on.

Lee Van Cleef R.I.P. It’s a shame the man didn’t get more “meaty” parts like this.[/quote]

Agreed. One of Van Cleef’s very best.

LEE VAN CLEEF is Magnificent , Masterful , Memorable :slight_smile:

The BIG GUNDOWN 1968 is an outstanding example of the SW. :slight_smile:

One of the best performances of Lee Van Cleef and of Tomas Milian too! . There were some scenes in which Lee is just listening what others are saying, but you see his face and you know what Lee is thinking. Sergio Sollima had really luck to get all this great actors and of course Ennio Morricone as Composer and Sergio Donati as Writer. IMO one of the great Western.

In this film there’s a short scene where we see Milian’s character at a formal party dressed somewhat formally. At one point during this short scene his character is told to stop hitting on someone else’s girl. Then we switch suddenly to Cleef’s character waking up in a jail cell. Woken up by the comotion of Milian’s character being brought into the jail definitely not dressed formally. This short scene seems worthy of the cutting room floor, why was it left in?

hm i just checked it out on the DVD and I"m not sure why it should’ve been cut out… it explains why they meet in the prison cell :wink: maybe that scene also tries to show some of Cuchillo’s aspirations of belonging to more upper class than he really is

good, stylish SW i saw the franco cleef dvd which is the longer uncut version.to me and others have mentioned on this post this has a rather slow and episodic start and then develops into a chase movie and is a kind of western version of “the fugitive”. lee van cleef is his usual dependable self and the ennio morricone soundtrack is good although i’m not sure about the title song( she goes a bit over the top at times) but that doesn’t really matter.film is good and satisfies overall.stright into my top 10.

This has probably been answered somewhere, with all the Big Gundown, Franco Cleef and Koch threads… but I’m having trouble finding it…

Is the Koch release cut at all compared to the Franco Cleef? Because I’ve seen that the Koch release is suppose to be uncut, but a lot of people are still saying the Franco Cleef is the only uncut version…

just trying to figure out if its worth getting the Franco Cleef, as I already have the Koch release(not the box set, the later individual release)

The FC version is the same film, it just has english on it. Those people are probably saying that the FC version is the only uncut ENGLISH version.

I’d probably get it, if only to hear Milian and Van CLeef’s real voices.

cool… yeah, I’ll probably get it and just take the english audio track and add it to the Koch disc. Better video transfer with the Koch release

Yeah the Koch version is less washed out. The FC version seems to have better sound though (the music)

information like this should also be in the swdb. we should talk about how and where we should integrate information about versions etc

possibly a “DVD Comparisons” section? Could maybe be added into the DVD Information section for the individual titles… that’s where I would usually look for it. Maybe a dedicated page for this as well, outside of the individual titles… I usually spend a lot of time figuring out what the differences are between releases when adding a new spaghetti title to my collection, fairly important information, I’d say…

Then there’s also all the fan edits that exist now, a lot never even put out on DVDR, so maybe this should be expanded to include all possible information on what’s available for any title, rather than just DVD releases…

we could just do a

== Versions ==
Text about the available versions here, including mentioning of director’s cuts, alternate endings, dvd releases, Rome premiere cuts etc

[quote=“Sebastian, post:79, topic:335”]we could just do a

== Versions ==
Text about the available versions here, including mentioning of director’s cuts, alternate endings, dvd releases, Rome premiere cuts etc[/quote]

sounds like a plan to me