The Big Gundown / La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

Did anyone who owns the US blu-ray take a look at the ā€œColumbia Pictures Editing Memoā€ that was apparently included as an extra? Iā€™m curious if it had anything justifying the cuts like the bizarre decision to shorten the finale with Cuchillo in the cane fields.

The full Italian version is 110 mins long. This is included in the grindhouse set you get 2 Blu Rays a DVD and the soundtrack! Thereā€™s advantages and disadvantages as you get the extra scenes but you donā€™t get Lee Van Cleefā€™s voice like you do in the American version, but both are included so depends what you feel like :grinning:

E sempreee, per sempreee, tu sempreee cercheraaaaai!

What is the Columbia pictures editing memo like? Anything interesting?

Itā€™s a letter from Harvey Kagan to Ed Humenik from March 4th 1969 and details cuts that were made and goes through the reels, measurements and total footage eliminated. It explains how it should be shown on television as well so all very technical. The cutting to the chase feature, bullet points all of the scenes that were taken out. There are 50 listed in total including musical changes.

1 Like

One of these days Iā€™ll watch this anti-Nieves ā€œStantonā€™s Cutā€, that in my opinion cannot be proposed, to find out who is rightā€¦ :wink:

Thanks for letting me know. That sounds really interesting.

I didnā€™t buy the US release because I have the Explosive Media one which I prefer for the English audio on the uncut version (give or take a few parts in Italian). I canā€™t really justify double-dipping however, given how many times I have bought this film before.

No problem. Itā€™s proper geek territory, but still interesting. The only thing really missing from the set is a rundown of what Tomas Milian had for breakfast every morning while filming :grinning:. Nice to have extra features but the film is the main thing and as you say itā€™s costly to keep upgrading.

Thatā€™s just the problem because it is not really upgrading at all since they only have Italian audio for the uncut version without an English option; the picture quality is apparently slightly different but no better and arguably worse. Then again, a couple of nice extras does sweeten the dealā€¦

In terms of the German release, it was great to see the old interviews with Sollima from the Koch Media boxset with English subtitles. However, for some reason, they cut the interview after Face to Face so it is missing the Run Man Run section at the end :astonished:

Did anyone else not greatly appreciate this film until they saw the 110min Italian cut?

To be honest I only got to see this film for the first time about 10 years ago and that was the Italian cut so that is the only cut Iā€™ve ever watched since.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure. Is the US cut the 90 minute or so version? If so Iā€™ve never seen it. I have a DVD-R with English dubbing, but Italian audio for a few scenes and moments of dialogue that were initially cut out. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s the Italian one (if someone could correct me if Iā€™m wrong itā€™d be greatly appreciated) and itā€™s near-perfect the way it is so I donā€™t plan on watching any other version, least not a cut one.

Yep, although thanks to Grindhouse it was extended to 95 minutes with the two restored monk scenes. But of course itā€™s still missing about 15 minutes from the Italian cut. And that is not cool.

1 Like

I was going to get that DVD when it first came out but the Italian version only had Italian audio so I didnā€™t bother. This is undoubtedly my favourite spaghetti western (possibly even my favourite western) not directed by Leone, and is one of only four spags that I think can compete with his best work. Without Lee Van Cleefā€™s dub in the full length version though I decided to stick with my DVDR, even if the picture quality isnā€™t as good.

Surprised thereā€™s no fandubs of the Grindhouse Blu-ray. I didnā€™t watch the Italian cut because I wanted to hear Van Cleefā€™s and Milianā€™s real voices. Even if it is cut, itā€™s number 5 on my top 20 based on the 95 minute cut alone.

2 Likes

Why donā€™t you just buy the German Blu-ray which is as good (some say better) than the US Blu-ray and with the English dub (albeit a few subtitled areas where no English dub exists) - see a few posts up. Or are you region-A locked?

1 Like

Iā€™ll probably get the German Blu-ray. Shame thereā€™s some missing footage during the climax.

As I posted several years back, the US English language ā€œcutā€ version does have a really egregious cut in the finale. Whatā€™s missing from the German Blu-ray? Itā€™s supposed to be uncut.

Itā€™s not Milianā€™s voice in either Italian or English unfortunately. They werenā€™t letting him dub himself in either language at this early stage in his SW careerā€¦

Itā€™s weird that whoever dubbed him sounds very much like him anyway.