The Big Gundown / La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:241, topic:335ā€]The DVD has a Pal running time (25 frames/ sec), the Blu not. The Blu has the same running time as a 35 mm film in a theatre with 24 fr./sec.

It seems that the DVD has also a lower bit rate than the Koch DVD, and is for that worse than the Koch DVD. I keep my Koch DVD, especially as this new edition is too expensive.[/quote]

Even if the DVD version is slightly sub-par to the Koch release, the blu-ray version that accompanies it is the best the film will ever look.

Iā€™m wondering if I should hold out for an R1 Blu Ray release. Any chance of that happening?

I remember hearing rumors about a release from Sony, but that was ages ago and nothing has surfaced yet.

FAKE EDIT: Yup, this is the one: The Big Gundown Blu-ray (La resa dei conti)

ACTUAL EDIT: The Explosive Media release is supposedly able to play with a Region 1 player of that is the issue.

[quote=ā€œRutledal, post:251, topic:335ā€]I remember hearing rumors about a release from Sony, but that was ages ago and nothing has surfaced yet.

FAKE EDIT: Yup, this is the one: The Big Gundown Blu-ray (La resa dei conti)

ACTUAL EDIT: The Explosive Media release is supposedly able to play with a Region 1 player of that is the issue.[/quote]

Cool, if it plays R1 than I might as well get this one.

Those guys seem to have tested it for regions and it plays in Region 1/A.

Hey, anybody know the name of the tune Cuchillo hums as heā€™s digging his way out of jail?
Thanks in advance.

Donā€™t you know it? Itā€™s so famous! :wink:

La Cucaracha

Very catchy too! :slight_smile:

Thanks. Didnā€™t sound like it to me for whatever reason. I feel stupid.

So many amazing aspects to this film - music, directing, story, performances, etc. But I think what I love the most about Gundown are the locations and overall set design.

Not only the ā€œauthenticā€ feel of many of the sets - they donā€™t look like sets at all - but also the sheer variety of the sets and locations throughout the movie. There arenā€™t many SWs out there that have such depth of scenery.

This remains my favorite non-Leone SW out there (not an easy decision to come by) and watching it again tonight was a treat.

On a side note, it is truly incredible how many new things you pick up on when rewatching a film, even if youā€™ve already seen it countless times. To me, the best movies always seem to be the ones where you find something new every time you watch. To me this is one of those films. :slight_smile:

Yeah Benedicto its my favorite non Leone as well.

Just watched the German blu-ray release and I can safely say this is my favorite Spaghetti Western ever! Not a single wasted moment in the film, beautiful photography and incredible music. Unreal!

This one has GREAT turns from Van Cleef and Milian, but what I always think elevates this one, is the score. In fact, Iā€™d wager to say it has my all-time favorite score of any SW! Of all the tracks Tarantino has lifted from 70ā€™s movies, the two he took from this and plugged into Inglorious Bastards are my fave. When I heard the duel theme start when Christoph Waltz rode up in his nazi jeep I got chills down my spine.

Someone is not convinced, but how right you are! :slight_smile:

I love the score but Iā€™m not too crazy about the singing. Iā€™m of the belief that adding vocals to Spaghetti Western scores makes it hokey, especially since the the instrumental alone sounds perfectly fine and the lyrics are incredibly laughable.

I totally agree with that Col. As I ALWAYS prefer instrumental to the singing versions. For example, the main theme in RETURN OF RINGO is one of the best themes Iā€™ve EVER heard (in itā€™s instrumental form), but all Iā€™ve been able to get on CD and find on YOUTUBE is the version with lyrics which mucks it up and robs it I think. A more extreme case is KEOMAā€¦I loathe the singing but when itā€™s simply the dream-like score, itā€™s beautiful stuff.

In general I would probably agree but there are plenty of themes which are terrific sung. I would argue that Return of Ringo is one of those and this one is another. Companeros springs to mind too. And anything sung by Raoul. I guess you either like that 60s cheesy style or you donā€™t. Personally, I love 'em.

I donā€™t like the singing either. Phil is right it is a bit cheesy/corny in La resa dei conti too. Works against the film.

The vocals in Companeros on the other hand are utterly great. But those are very different in their style and the opposite of cheesy. And to mention it again, I like the singing in both Keoma ans Mannaja (but never pay attention to the lyrics).

Have to admit I like the song in The Big Gundown, and alot of these songs are cheesy and guess thats why I like themā€¦I am a cheesy man :smiley: .

Cheese goes well with spaghetti, so I donā€™t tend to mind either. But thereā€™s a fine line between cheesy and tacky. That Johnny Yuma song for example is just plain awful in my opinion.

Song from La Resa dei Conti is if not my favorite, then very close to it, SW song with vocals. I like the middle sections with fast low voice, and I like how it explodes in manic screaming in refrain. It is great track for rock cover versions. I think it has less cheese than most SW song with vocals, lyrics in particular are not cheesy as usual. And as Bad Lieutenant stated, cheese goes well with spaghetti anyway. On the other hand, I prefer Return of Ringo instrumental version, it is more delicately beautiful without vocals.