The Big Gundown / La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

Here is were I got my copy amigo, the quality is incredible.
The price is quite reasonable too !

http://cultcine.com/products-page/all-titles/the-big-gundown-uncut-remastered-1966-ntsc-sergio-sollima-it/

My first viewing of the film was via the Channel 4 broadcast of the shorter version of the film, in the late 1980s/early 1990s. For curiosityā€™s sake, Iā€™d like to see that shorter cut again, although the longer version is the better edit of the film.

[quote=ā€œEl Gorila, post:229, topic:335ā€]Here is were I got my copy amigo, the quality is incredible.
The price is quite reasonable too !

http://cultcine.com/products-page/all-titles/the-big-gundown-uncut-remastered-1966-ntsc-sergio-sollima-it/[/quote]

Yes, Iā€™m familiar with Cultcine as I have bought some titles from them. I believe the version they have is not the franco cleef but a version someone else made using the Koch DVD source.

If you scroll down to the price, it says" Franco Cleef DVD " in yellow right above the price. :wink:

Thatā€™s because he changed the colour of the font to the same as the background colour for some reason. Take you mouse and highlight the entire section and youā€™ll see that the franco cleef link is just a comparison screenshot with the cultcine screenshot link below that.

Hey, Thanks Ghost ! :slight_smile:

No problemo amigo :wink:

Heads up for all UK based forumites.

Due I suppose to their recent remastering job for the iminent Bluray release The Big Gundown is getting a cinema outing at this yearā€™s London Film festival. This one is not to be missed if you can get there.

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/lff/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=B5D6674B-1C6B-4614-BF95-DE3B3A58F38D&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=DA5E0E55-8FBE-4753-962E-7A1AB95922E5

Fancy meeting up Phil? Itā€™s been a while.

Sounds like a plan, Stan

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:238, topic:335ā€]Sounds like a plan, Stan[/quote] 8)

I got the Explosive Media version of this movie today, on Blu-Ray and 2-disc DVD with lots of bonus material!!! Incredible, a beautiful release! Iā€™ll probably watch it this weekend (Iā€™ve never seen it before, always like to wait for a good releaseā€¦). Blu-ray has a duration on 110 minutes, while the DVD is 106 minutes, donā€™t know the difference thoughā€¦

The DVD has a Pal running time (25 frames/ sec), the Blu not. The Blu has the same running time as a 35 mm film in a theatre with 24 fr./sec.

It seems that the DVD has also a lower bit rate than the Koch DVD, and is for that worse than the Koch DVD. I keep my Koch DVD, especially as this new edition is too expensive.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:241, topic:335ā€]The DVD has a Pal running time (25 frames/ sec), the Blu not. The Blu has the same running time as a 35 mm film in a theatre with 24 fr./sec.

It seems that the DVD has also a lower bit rate than the Koch DVD, and is for that worse than the Koch DVD. I keep my Koch DVD, especially as this new edition is too expensive.[/quote]

Well, I ordered it from Grooves-inc, paid $27.93, I think that is quite a reasonable priced blu-ray disc, at least here in Norway. And that included shipping!

Great to see this at the cinema again on Sunday.

Print looked good and it was very well received by a pretty decent sized crowd. About 300 Iā€™d say. Chris Frayling was on hand as youā€™d expect to offer some pre screening words and all in all it was an excellent afternoon well spent. They showed it in Italian with subs which was a bit of a surprise. I assumed they would show it in as much English as possible. A good size screen too.

If it comes around to a festival near you Iā€™d recommend it.

@Yodlaf

Didnā€™t see you there mate. Could you not make it in the end?

Pretty jealous of you guys in the UK and places where these films are shown semi-regularlyā€¦ pretty hard to find a screening in the US, except for the big cities like NY and LA.

And the places that do screen films from this era are usually showing only horror titles.

[quote=ā€œautephex, post:244, topic:335ā€]Pretty jealous of you guys in the UK and places where these films are shown semi-regularlyā€¦ pretty hard to find a screening in the US, except for the big cities like NY and LA.

And the places that do screen films from this era are usually showing only horror titles.[/quote]

Yep, especially in middle America. Are you still in Missouri, autephex?

Yep, still in Springfield

You should live in Turnhout, Belgium.
We have one fabulous, ultra-modern multiplex cinema
But the only thing they show is Hollywood trash (plus some local stuff, hardly worth mentioning)

If thereā€™s a good film on the program, itā€™s on a tuesday night, at 22.00 h or so (or sunday morning 9.30 h)

Thatā€™s all we get here also scherp. We have one semi-modern multiplex, and a couple of older theatres, and then one ā€œdollar houseā€ where they show the same films for cheaper after theyā€™ve been out for a month or so. But they all show only the same new hollywood films.

The closest theatre that shows anything interesting is a 4 hour drive away in St Louis- an old cinema that does midnight showings once a month, mostly horror and action from the 60s-80s. Iā€™ve been monitoring it and theyā€™ve shown some excellent stuff, but I just havenā€™t been able to make it yet. Kinda pissed I didnā€™t just go ahead and drive out there for ā€œPiecesā€

Chances of seeing any spaghettis are basically zero though. Youā€™d think that midwest America would have more of a appreciation for westerns.