The Big Gundown / La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

Glad to hear that.

A whole lot better than the dub in ‘Django Kill’

Does it excist a uncut copy of this anywhere? I got Franco Cleefs release and the one i bought from CultCine, but both are missing many scenes. For example the scene where Cochio is about to have sex with the lady at the farm, then the film jumps to the next scene where Cochio is being whipped by her workers. Why is he getting whipped? What happend in between those two scenes? There are many missing scenes in this movie.

Do you actually know the scenes are missing or are you just wondering? As far as I know, the Koch release was uncut, which is where the Cultcine version came from

I think the movie is uncut. The scene switches to Milian being whipped because Nieves Navarro plays a sort of dominitrix. She likes to have her way with men. She sleeps with them and than enjoys having them whipped and having them answer to her every whim. This is why Van Cleef didn’t trust her.

Franco Cleef’s version is only short by about 2 seconds otherwise it is uncut. In the completely uncut version (Koch Media and Cult Cine versions) there is an extremely brief reaction shot of Milian during the finale confrontation and that is the only difference.
So, there are no missing scenes in the version you have.

Smart guy, this Van Cleef

Thanks, I’d heard that about 2 seconds was missing but had never established when it actually was.

Hey guys, I found a copy of The Big Gundown on an upload site and I am trying to figure out what version it is. It is titled “1966 The Big Gundown”, and the length is 1:45:37. I believe the audio track is the one Franco Cleef made. According to the screen-shots on cultcine.com, the quality of the copy I have is better than Franco Cleef’s but not as good as Cultcine’s, and the resolution of my copy doesn’t match either. Are cultcine’s images accurate? Their screenshot should be identical to Koch’s and autephex’s versions right? I’ve included a link to all 3 screenshots.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9117/biggundowncomparrison.jpg

thnx for the help :slight_smile:

I just rewatched this one after a couple of years.

Fuckin’ hell. That really IS a movie. I can’t say anything against it. It is perfect. Not a single minute of boredom, that even the Leones come up with.

I think I have to correct my top20. Big Gundown has to be right up there (can’t remember where it is right now).

The showdown is one of the greatest ever filmed. And it has one of the best Morricone soundtracks.

Man, I thing I’ll go back to the screen and watch it right again…

Good…good…

[quote=“Pacificador, post:119, topic:335”]

Good…good…[/quote]

Still after two days the flick is on my mind…

[quote=“evilxelvis138, post:117, topic:335”]Hey guys, I found a copy of The Big Gundown on an upload site and I am trying to figure out what version it is. It is titled “1966 The Big Gundown”, and the length is 1:45:37. I believe the audio track is the one Franco Cleef made. According to the screen-shots on cultcine.com, the quality of the copy I have is better than Franco Cleef’s but not as good as Cultcine’s, and the resolution of my copy doesn’t match either. Are cultcine’s images accurate? Their screenshot should be identical to Koch’s and autephex’s versions right? I’ve included a link to all 3 screenshots.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9117/biggundowncomparrison.jpg

thnx for the help :)[/quote]

bump :slight_smile:

Just watched this a week ago and now im definitely hooked on Spagetti Westerns (previously i had watched Dollar Trilogy and C’era una volta il West). Even though i had seen those Leone’s classics before this, i still loved the movie. This was a great & entertaining movie. And that’s why i really love spaghetti westerns.

Lee Van Cleef is on fire here. I also loved the plot, and how the characters changed during the film. I got to mention Ennio’s music once again, words can’t describe how nicely it fits to these movies. One of the top moments was the part when Cuchillo is running and hiding on the hayfield and Ennio’s incredible music starts to play, what a scene! 8)

[quote=“Jude, post:122, topic:335”]One of the top moments was the part when Cuchillo is running and hiding on the hayfield and Ennio’s incredible music starts to play, what a scene! 8)[/quote]My favorite scene from the TBG.
Welcome to the forum, Jude.

Yes, this is one my favourite one as well! A trademark scene of the SW genre where the score takes the lead and transcends a scene to higher levels! It simply sends shivers up and down my spine! Truly imposing!

Absolutely. I always liked the score of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly most - but in the last weeks The Big Gundown is at the top.

[quote=“Lindberg, post:34, topic:335”]That singer is called Khrissy I think, she did some more work on spaghettis, wasn’t it Tepepa?

She’s not bad, my question was aimed at Stanton![/quote]
Christy is the singer. She must be the same Christy who sang the theme song of Mario Bava’s Diabolik, called “Deep Down.”

I just had to put this quote from Sollima about La resa dei Conti in the Interview Novecento showed me, I do not if anybody else as read it, but coming from the director itself it’s just fantastic

MM: Resa… was different also from the point of view of introducing what the Italian newspapers called the political western. The character of Cuchillo is totally unprecedented in western cinematography, even in the american one. He fights with a knife against firearms. He points at the hyprocrit behaviour of the rich and powerful with few, piercing sentences, coming from the intelligence of a hunted human being who must simply survive, day by day.He is able to rock and shake the iron moral beliefs of Johnatan Corbett, who does things because he believes in the law. Cuchillo tells him …which law, the law of the one who chases or of the chased?.

SS: James Coburn uses a knife in Magnificent Seven, but it has a totally different and tactically limited meaning. Cuchillo uses a knife because he is a proletarian, he is too poor to buy a gun and ammo, in fact he does not want to be armed at all. He says in a certain scene, he would much prefer to use a knife to cut bread…! So the knife and Cuchillo bring a whole new view of the western myth into play, the one of the really poor, the forsaken, the people with no choice. In reality he traces an image of those who did not sustain the myth of the Wild West, on the contrary, Cuchillo abates the myth itself! And he triggers, symbolically, the crumbling of Corbett´s firm beliefs in a social order, in the law, in a cast-oriented structure of society, in the honesty of the wealthy in pursuing the “benefit of Texas”.

[quote=“El Topo, post:127, topic:335”]MM: Cuchillo tells him …which law, the law of the one who chases or of the chased?.

SS: He says in a certain scene, he would much prefer to use a knife to cut bread…![/quote]

Terrific, thanks alot for the tidbit El Topo. I’ll have tg rewatch the film because I don’t actually remember those two quotes being in the film. Its been a while though.