The 10 Greatest Westerns of the 21st Century

Hi all I agree in order to qualify as western need to be in the time of the old west or at least create a new category like fictional west or modern west
so the following are disqualify for a western movie:
Hell or High Water (McKenzie, 2016) wrong era ganster movie
No Country For Old Men (Coen/Coen, 2007) modern movie action movie
Brokeback Mountain (Lee, 2005) this one is drama or love story also modern
Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) fictional movie

You really should watch Django Unchained. It’s a fantastic recreation of the Spaghetti Western genre.

Hi menjoe! Django Unchained qualifies as a western, surely? Most westerns are fictional; even those that aren’t are heavily dramatised.

I’ll be honest Nick, I think The Hateful Eight is far more “Spag” than Django Unchained. In fact I think that Reservoir Dogs is, in many ways, more “Spag” than either of his true westerns and is, to date, the most “Spag” movie he’s made (and I think he’s kind-of been making spags his entire career).

[quote=“UglyOne427, post:20, topic:4223”]
Its soundtrack reminded me of the Blaxploitation film soundtracks of the 70’s.[/quote]

I’ve watched a couple of scenes and all I remember was that he took music from Django and They Call me Trinity. Was there also an original score?

Yes you are right, bad call from my part, I guess I like more wild wild west then Django unchained I agree with you thanks

I just finish watching slow west very interesting flick and yea definitely had shooting thumps up

Have a listein. Some spaghetti influence, as well as contemporary hip hop like Rick Ross, RZA, and indie rock group Brother Dege, and the brilliant I Got A Name by Jim Croce. ( a perfect 70’s pop song) and Who Did That To You? by (John Legend) which sounds like it’s right off

Last.caress I think I said fictional because the original Django with Franco Nero was and still my favorite movie

https://youtu.be/TdVf-gyN_6Y

A nice introduction to Blaxploitation cinema

you got it, I agree with this list

Resvoir dogs is probably Tarantino’s most “spaghetti like” Film.
You can’t tell me this doesn’t have spaghetti style shootout written all over it.

how about Wesley Snipes Gallowwalkers (vampires) or The Warriors Way (ninjas)

how about Wesley Snipes Gallowwalkers (vampires) or The Warriors Way (ninjas) did you think the are westernshttps://youtu.be/YqqfdOEbp5M

This reminds me both Django and Viva Django.

Eh… I’d like to argue my opinion but I haven’t actually seen The Hateful Eight or Reservoir Dogs yet (I’m just a wee lad, so forgive me). So I can’t really make a valid point.

Regardless of saying that… I’m still going to arrogantly throw my opinion in that Django Unchained features enough of the spaghetti tropes and the right historical setting that I’d consider it to Tarantino’s most “Spaghetti” like film. Really, that’s the only reason I’m asserting my position. To me if a film is set in modern times but features Spaghetti tropes then it remains a modern film with Spaghetti tropes. Though if I watched The Hateful Eight or Reservoir Dogs I might be inclined to change my opinion.

1 Like

Ha, well your posts indicate an awful lot of maturity and intelligence, my friend. Seriously.

That’s not arrogant at all mate, it’s your opinion. As you said, that may change upon seeing more QT films but, equally, that may not change; seeing more QT films might strengthen your opinion that Django Unchained is the most spag-like of his movies, and that would be a perfectly valid and credible viewpoint, shared no doubt by plenty of others. There are plenty of reasons to make that case, for sure. And plenty of reasons to make the case that Reservoir Dogs - a contemporary heist-gone-wrong movie - is not spag-like at all. It’s just my opinion that it is spag-like. Doesn’t make me right. :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth: I have shown Reservoir Dogs to my thirteen year-old son, and in fact he was eleven when I let him see it with me. People may flinch at the thought of showing a film deemed so violent it was banned from home release for quite a few years here in the UK to a minor, but I know my son, I know what I’m comfortable for him to be exposed to, I believe the violence of Reservoir Dogs was always massively overstated by the media at the time anyway and, most importantly for me, I want my boy exposed to as much quality cinema as possible as soon as possible, and Reservoir Dogs is quality cinema.

I haven’t let him see The Hateful Eight yet, though, even though The Hateful Eight is in many ways very similar indeed to Reservoir Dogs (I think I may have referred to it as “Reservoir Dogs 1892” back when I first saw it). The Hateful Eight is WAY more gory than Reservoir Dogs (albeit in the same gloopy, almost unreal way that Django Unchained is, too) but, although I’d be okay showing him the violence in the movie, Samuel Jackson’s character tells a story midway through the film, a story designed to pull a violent response from Bruce Dern’s character (in fact I think it’s a fairly daft sequence which brings the film shuddering to a halt and almost derails the entire picture but I digress) and, although I’m sure my son hears worse from his peers at school each day at his age (I know my friends and I were all foul-mouthed little bastards at thirteen) I’m not comfortable sitting with him while Mr. Jackson regales us with that particular tale. Maybe in another couple of years.