Texas, Adios / Texas, addio (Ferdinando Baldi, 1966)

One of my favorite SWs is Texas Adios. Starring Franco Nero. It is not as famous as other SWs. But love it. I wanna hear your opinon. Adios

For More info visit:
Database page: Texas, Addio - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give Texas Adios your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

I haven’t seen it yet. I only wanted to add the database link :wink:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Texas%2CAddio

Definitely above average film, at least. I don’t really understand why is Texas Adios usually considered being too much of a american western. For me this film is pure spaghetti. I think it’s quite “italian” to have these morbid family ties in westerns (Texas Adios and Forgotten Pistolero are good examples). I prefer Forgotten Pistolero though.

Too bad that Franco Nero didn’t do his own dubbing for the english in this one.

I think one of the reasons many people consider it too American is because whoever dubbed Nero in english was trying to sound like John Wayne!

hehe and because it doesn’t look yet (this was in the early Spaghetti stages) as italian as those films that were coming after it.
I agree, Forgotten Pistolero is a bit better in terms of torn family drama. But Forgotten Pistolero is very similar to Texas Adios. By the way “And God said to Cain” is also in that genre, but not by Baldi

the Alex Cox intro from ITV4:

Like in all of Baldi’s early SWs there are too much weak scenes, so that the whole film is not really satisfying. Especially the first scene looks rather idiotic, and the whole beginning (before they go to Mexico) is poorly made.
And you can’t make dramatic scenes work, if you only use stereotyped characters.

I think the idea of this movie was to make it feel like it was a Hollywood western, even Nero said that. I don’t know, I think that was a mistake, because when I watch a spaghetti, I want to see a movie which is stylistically a spaghetti western.

Fair to middlin’. The kid (Cole Schmidlapp?) was about as thrilling as the guy in DEATH RIDES A HORSE (YAWN!!)

This SW long eluded me. :frowning:

I watched it today. ;D

Nero had the “look” down pretty good by the time he got to this movie, huh? I was impressed by the overall “classic” western look and feel to this movie. There are a couple of one-on-one shoot-outs that seem to go on too long, as if they were improvised on a slow shooting day to feel screen time.

:slight_smile:

Really enjoyed that one. Texas Addio looks more like a classical Western than other Franco Nero SW. But it still is a SW and IMO only the scenes at the beginning looks like the convential Western. IMO Baldi’s Texas Addio and Fulci’s Tempo di maccacro have some similarities. In both movies there are 2 brothers and one brother has to find out a secret about his father. Franco Nero should be always a reason to watch a SW.

I don’t know if you are refering the credit sequence but that is what always sets me in the wrong frame of mind at the start when viewing this film.
The two guys running about haphazardly gunning at each other is so unrealistic and silly that it made me less disposed to be kind to this as I watched it. I like Baldi a lot. I definitely think he is one of the more talented directors but this ain’t his best. With Baldi, bigger is better.

Watched this last night…overall, I enjoyed it, but it’s hard for me to name many spaghetti films I didn’t like. At least a little.

I agree that some of the scenes were empty and a bit over the top. The opening scene was a good example. Nero turns his back a lot on ruthless killers, a practice that can’t be explained in film or real life. If you remember the bar scene in Open Range, Duvall backs out of the bar and never turns his back to the corrupt sheriff and for damn good reason. It’s as if Nero’s character thinks he’s invincible and repeatedly does really stupid shit. He misses opportunities for no apparent reason.

No one would allow their kid brother to be beaten by thug, even if you have your eye on a bigger prize.

The cinematography was enjoyable, although the landscape (as is the case in all spaghetti films) barely resembles the landscape it’s supposed to take place in, but it doesn’t matter. There are aspects to that part of Spain that’s simply perfect for the films.

It seems like Nero is loyal, virtuous, committed to a code of conduct, but not so bright. Damn lucky.

Also loved the bad guy’s name, Cisco Delgado. One of the best, I think. I mean, would you want your daughter to tell you she’s dating a guy named Cisco Delgado?

I give it three stars. Middle of the road…obviously not as good as the best films and a notch below films like Companeros, a four star film.

Mediocre, but it’s good on a boring afternoon.

The bad guy looks VERY like Robert Ryan!

I think George Lucas saw this one ;D ;D ;D ;D

I’m not a huge fan of this one, but it’s certainly not a bad movie. Nero’s performance is better than the poor dub job would make it seem. I agree that the villain looks like Robert Ryan, and boy, he is one evil bastard!

The villain is a great character. A tragic bad guy…
With some Darth Vader-like lines. ;D

Good and quite enjoyable SW, not very exciting plotwise and a bit slow at times, however Franco Nero is great as always and the score is magnificent. The scene where Delgado’s gang and the revolutionaries are about to clash is fantastic. 8/10 at my rating scale which is something like 3.5-4 out of 5 stars.

Mayby it’s not a great movie, but still it’s a good one. All you need to do is stand a stupid intro with two shooting gunmen. The bounty killer who can’t shoot straight? I think he will not die of old age.

Franco Nero should be always a reason to watch a SW.

Amen to that! :smiley:

Same as Baldi’s BLINDMAN. Works esxceptionally well for the first half hour but as soon as the family secret plot comes about I lose interest quickly. Things pick up for the finale.

3 out of 5.

Blindman is so much better directed.