Tarantino pays tribute to Spaghetti Westerns at Festival

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=print_story&articleid=VR1117964747&categoryid=1278

Posted: Fri., May 11, 2007, 8:19am PT

Tarantino saddles up for Venice
Festival pays tribute to Spaghetti Westerns

Quentin Tarantino is expected to attend the 64th Venice Intl. Film Festival as patron and presenter of a sidebar dedicated to the Spaghetti Western genre.

A selection of 40 Italo oaters will unspool at the Lido and be introduced by Tarantino and a host of helmers, producers, thesps, scribes, cinematographers and stunt men, in a major celebration of the genre that “has done the most to influence the image of popular cinema over the past few decades,” fest topper Marco Muller said in a statement.

Titles unspooling will range from established classics, such as Sergio Leone’s “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,” to lesser-known works, such as Sergio Corbucci’s Burt Reynolds starrer “A Dollar a Head” and Spanish helmer Jose Romero Marchent’s “Cut-Throat Nine” – the last touted by Muller as the most violent Western ever made.

Sidebar titled the Secret History of Italian Cinema 4 – Spaghetti Westerns is curated by Italian critics Marco Giusti and Manlio Gomarasca, who selected works based on both their importance and, conversely, their lack of visibility, in an effort to foster rediscovery.

Muller also said this year’s official selection will be peppered with contempo world preems referencing the genre and bearing witness to its still fruitful influence “on many filmmakers from different continents.”

This month, Tarantino will be attending the Cannes Film Festival, where his expanded “Death Proof” unspools in competish.

The Venice fest will run Aug. 29-Sept. 8.

Read the full article at:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964747.html

Titles to be screened at the Venice Biennale Spaghetti retrospective have just been released. No dates or venues yet but the titles are as below.

[b]Program

Biennale Cinema 64th Venice Film Festival Spaghetti Western

Spaghetti Western - Secret History of Italian Cinema 4

The films (in chronological order):

Antes llega la muerte (1964) by Joaquin Luis Romero Marchent

100.000 dollari per Ringo (1965) by Alberto De Martino

Il ritorno di Ringo (1965) by Duccio Tessari

Ringo del Nebraska (1965) by Mario Bava and Antonio Román

Un dollaro bucato (1965) by Giorgio Ferroni

Django (1965) - Uncut - by Sergio Corbucci

The Bounty Killer (1966) by Eugenio Martin

La resa dei conti (1966) by Sergio Sollima

Navajo Joe (1966) by Sergio Corbucci

Sugar Colt (1966) by Franco Giraldi

Un fiume di dollari (1966) by Carlo Lizzani

Yankee (1966) by Tinto Brass

10 000 dollari per un massacro (1967) by Romolo Guerrieri

El Desperado (1967) by Franco Rossetti

Il tempo degli avvoltoi (1967) by Nando Cicero

La morte non conta i dollari (1967) by Riccardo Freda

Se sei vivo spara (1967) - Uncut - by Giulio Questi

Ognuno per sé (1967) by Giorgio Capitani

Preparati la bara (1967) by Ferdinando Baldi

Tepepa (1968) by Giulio Petroni

Una lunga fila di croci (1968) by Sergio Garrone

E Dio disse a Caino (1969) by Antonio Margheriti

La taglia è tua l’uomo l’ammazzo io (1969) by Edoardo Mulargia

Lo chiamavano Trinità (1970) by Enzo Barboni

Matalo! (1970) by Cesare Canevari

Vamos a matar companeros (1970) by Sergio Corbucci

La vendetta è un piatto che si serve freddo (1971) by Pasquale Squitieri

Il grande duello (1972) by Giancarlo Santi

Il mio nome è Shangai Joe (1973) by Mario Caiano

Una ragione per vivere e una per morire (1973) by Tonino Valerii

I quattro dell’apocalisse (1975) by Lucio Fulci

Keoma (1976) by Enzo G. Castellari

Events in the Retrospective:

Una Questione poco privata - Conversazione con Giulio Questi (2007) by Gianfranco Pannone

Gonin no shokin kasegi (The Fort of Death, 1969) by Kudo Eiichi[/b]

Why the hell am I going to Germany for my holidays? I should be going to Venice. It’s SW heaven.

By the way, for anyone thinking of going to Venice for the festival, all the spaghetti western screenings will have english subtitles. I checked.

This is a fantastic list of SW :slight_smile: ::slight_smile: ;D !!! I’d love to be there !!!

I’ll ditto that. Especially since they all have English subtitles. I wonder if anyone will cover the stuntmen and actors of the genre attending. I’d like to know who is still living we haven’t heard from for awhile and hopefully they will receive thunderous applause to their participation in the genre. Bravo!

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Quentin_Tarantino_hosts_Spaghetti_Western_retrospective_at_the_2007_Venice_Film_Festival

can someone pimp that page a bit? add pictures, links. link all titles and directors, etc… i am a bit busy right now, maybe someone can do that

Added links to all the titles and all the directors that have their categories in the database

Wow, this sounds amazingly cool. That’s quite a line-up of films. I really wish I could make it (I’ve never even been out of the US…)

Flynn